• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are cons to turbo putting?

Apathy

Par Member
Messed around with it, without much practice still seems accurate, easy to learn, and few variables in the technique.

No one does it though, has to be a reason for that?

Seems to be a putting style with limited variables. One size fits all as you don't have to change putting styles with obstacles.
Blowbys are still worse than push, but seem an improvement to traditional spin putts.

I don't usually throw these so i'm not an expert. To me it seems difficult to throw far with the turbo putt although i've seen video of John E. McCray throw them in from outside the circle. So for me reaching the basket is an issue not blowing by far :) My limit seems to be my ability to generate enough spin to stabilize the disc to be able to throw it far. As a consequence wobbling at higher speeds and an intolerance to winds are my issues. YMMV.

Pro to the turbo putt is being able to throw above obstacles and if wanted to raise the arm up high and throw up to down limiting the blow by distance. That may be beneficial putting to a basket that has downhill behind the basket although there are other ways of minimizing blow bys while running the putt.

Lots of pros can use this for close putts, or when there are obstacles that require it. It's a good tool to have. The only downside is accuracy and control, since you don't get a good pinch-type grip on the disc with which you can aim and project your throw, but practically this only limits your distance. And of course, with practice, one can always fine tune their technique. In the wind it seems OK, just have to aim high/low for tail/head wind, respectively. And it is also good for the disc to come down into the basket at a downward trajectory, it has a bigger effective target cross-section/catching area.

In a crazy wind you can throw the disc upside down for even more resistance to lifting and flying too far.