• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the benefits of building a disc golf course?

chris deitzel

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have been building a disc golf course at Linbrook Park for the last 2 years. The baskets for the front 9 have been in since June.

Well, since then, the borough has decided to stop the construction of the course. Apparently it was not presented to council properly and they now want to have us present our proposal for the course.........(I'll spare you the long details)

Anyway, in the presentation they want to know" What are the benefits of a disc golf course"?

So, I am here to get some answers and opinions to help me present my case.

Post away please.

Good way to stay active, it's cheap, it's pretty good for a fully family, it's cheap to maintain, it can be on multi use parks. If it's in an area that has a lot of traffic you can charge to play. etc etc...

Increased foot traffic leads to higher visibility. I.e. as long as you don't fill the course with chuckers, you'll see lower crime rates. Example: Mt. Airy park in Cincinnati.

I don't remember the titles, but there have been some other threads like this with some good support material offered. Use the search feature and see if you can hunt them down. I think Davidsauls had some good info in one of those threads. Good luck.

It generally uses parts of the park that otherwise would go unused.
Local club volunteers often put in time to help with maintenance (how many soccer and baseball teams would do the same?)
It's an activity that is good exercise and low impact enough to be good for all ages, from children to senior citizens.

While creating a disc golf course you can clear away non native - invasive species of flaura that harm or rob natural trees of nutrients.

Safety, opening up woods and non used areas to traffic makes it harder for shenanigans to occur in hidden areas.

A course is also a small tourist attraction.

I've played courses in 24 states. I've played with visitors from about as many. Heck, I'm in South Carolina, with a lightly-played course in the boondocks, and I've played with at least a half-dozen people from Minnesota and Wisconsin, and had visitors from Edmonton and Alaska, among other places.

Just look at the "courses played" lists of Danhyzer and Martin Dewgarita, and think how much gas and how many snacks and drinks they've bought in those 2000 places.

Heck, just look at this website.

And that's all before you ever host a tournament and bring in 50-100 people for a weekend.

Sure, it's not a BIG tourist attraction. But people love to travel near and far to check out courses, and some are going to spend money in your town.

.....My local pitch-&-putt, Earlewood, lists 307 "played" on this site. Since only a handful of local people are on this site, that's all out-of-towners. And it's certainly just a drop in the bucket---just the small portion of disc golfers who are active on this website, and the portion of them who bother checking off all their "courses played".

.....and I don't know about where you live, but around here disc golfers are among the few park users who voluntarily pick up trash (not just their own), build park improvements like steps, bridges, and retaining walls, plant trees, clear briars and poison ivy, and otherwise improve the parks. Most park constituents consume and demand, but few donate their time and money.

Beyond those thoughts, professional course designers and people like Sadjo (who's like a professional course salesman) can probably give you lots of good info.

Disc golf is a low impact, economical activity for park users.

Disc Golf is an enjoyable lifetime sport that everyone can play, regardless of age, ability, or gender.

Disc golf can be designed into under-utilized areas of a park and may help to decrease undesirable activities.

Disc golf can provide year round competitive and recreational activities for the park.

Nearby schools can incorporate disc golf into physical education programs and curriculum.

A single 18 hole disc golf course can entertain ninety or more people at one time.

Disc golf is easy to learn but provides a lifetime of challenge to master.

Disc golf is great for those not interested in team sports, yet are driven to compete.

Disc golf attracts people from other areas of the state and country to your park.

Disc golf is inexpensive to play. You can start playing with a single disc for less than $10.

Disc golf can be a source of revenue for a park department or a pay-to-play facility.

It also costs the parks department a fraction of what a playground, tennis court, or any other amenity costs.

Latest posts