• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What disc do you use for overhands?

gskegley

For thumbers I usually throw my 172 champion Firebird or my 170 champion Eagle. The FB goes 30 feet farther an takes longer to turn over. The Eagle turns over quickly and therefore lands farther right then the FB. I ordered a Predator the other day and will be getting it in the next couple of days. I have heard that it is one of the other staples of overhand shots, especially thumbers.

I have been throwing more tomahawks lately and have been using the Firebird for most of them. I've found that the tomahawk drops in height quite a bit more then my thumber when the disc flips to it's back. Because of this I only throw it when throwing slightly downhill or when there is an obstacle close but an opening farther ahead.

I also throw a thumber with an Epic for specific shots. Like in the case of a tomahawk, I only throw my epic with a slight downhill and calm wind. I have the Epic in my bag for only one hole at the course that I play the most, Skyline in Napa, Ca. It's a tough disc to use but for the one hole I use it on, it works every time.

So what overhand discs does everyone else use? What gives you the most distance and accuracy?

The common advice for distance overhands is to avoid the warp speeders no matter how stable they are, and stick to true overstable discs (as opposed to speed overstable ones). One of if not the outright longest overhand discs is the Opto XXX from Latitude. Reaaaally overstable and pretty slow, turns nice and slow in the air. Other than the people go on about the flat and really overstable in Firebirds.

I throw a CFR C-PD myself, not quite as long as the others but it's not as ridiculously overstable on normal throws either.

i use a 175 ch firebird for distance thumbers/hammers. i use a 171 star destroyer for avergage length on the dime accuracy.
i throw/have thrown almost every disc in my bag overhand. i love the thumber rhyno. it stops like a grenade shot. it is such an easy out of trouble/over trees shot that is going to park the basket almost 100% of the time

Firebirds and premium plastic, overstable Eagles. Monster-X's were probably my favorite overhand disc, but I like Firebirds for every other shot I use those discs for. I remember the XXX sounding like it was in the same category when it came out--good for overhands but too much stability for other meathook shots. If I had room in my bag I'd carry one of those just for overhands.

I used the Z Flick exclusively last year for my overhand needs. I'll end up comparing other discs this year and see what ends up in my bag. I also have a Opto Trident, but I don't like how it flies for OHs.

in4b mark ellis distinguishes between overhand and overhead shots. but everyone is correct in their advice, use a true overstable disc. i use z xtremes for thumbers.

it never hurts to watch this video again if you have seen it before.

If you're planning to throw OHs for distance, get an Epic. They're hinky, but a good OH thrower can put them out 350-450, especially into a headwind.

I don't really keep certain discs in my bag strictly for OH shots. But I generally throw a flat, new Z Predator for shots that I need the disc to travel a while before turning over, like OHs over tall stuff, flick rollers, etc. And I throw a beat Z Predator or even a beat Z Avenger for shots where I need the disc to turn quickly, like for punch through tomahawks, stand-up cut flick rollers, finesse OHs, pancakes and thumber rollers.

I tried the Epic and wasn't a fan, it did seem that I got good distance on it for sure. It does take some practice to get used to how it flies.

SirRaph said:
If you're planning to throw OHs for distance, get an Epic. They're hinky, but a good OH thrower can put them out 350-450, especially into a headwind.

Sure, you can throw it far overhand, but the flight of the disc isn't really that of an overhand shot. And the epic can very easily finish left, straight or to the right off of the same shot. Not any where near consistent enough to be taken seriously imo.

kern9787 said:
SirRaph said:

Sure, you can throw it far overhand, but the flight of the disc isn't really that of an overhand shot. And the epic can very easily finish left, straight or to the right off of the same shot. Not any where near consistent enough to be taken seriously imo.

Yeah, that is why I don't use it. It is almost a gimmick disc if you ask me. I guess if you were in a wide open field and accuracy wasn't a premium then it might be good. At that point I'd just crush a backhand, so I'm not sure what the practical use of this disc is for during competition.

I injured my main throwing muscles (sidearm) and started to just throw overhand shots so I could still play. Been using them consistantly for quite a while, and have heard many people hail the Aerobie Epic as a great overhand/head disc... except for it is the most inconsistant disc ever! I just picked up a Lat. 64 opto line XXX and love it especially for longer distance shots (250+). Other than that, I've found much success using a Champion Eagle, even have an ace this year with it! It's all about finding something consistant and utilizing the flight path based on your throw. More snap makes it turn faster, while changing the angle of release can also modify when the disc turns. Also, never underestimate the use of the overhand skip, one of the most accurate and consistant throws I have in my bag.

Latest posts