• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What happened to the big names?

jdude

When I started disc golf by watching competition videos online about 5 years ago, the big names were or at least included Ken Climo and Niko Locastro. However, no one is predicting them as top 4 in the Memorial prediction contest nor have I seen them in a recent broadcast.

So I ask: are they still competing? If not, what happened/why not?

Yes they still compete at all the major events. And they are both top players. Ken Climo is one of the best players of all time!

Nikko has had an off couple of years though he's still competing at a top level, just not winning as much.

Climo plays Masters for the most part and isn't touring as much.

Kenny's wife had a new daughter a coupole years ago so he's been spending more time at home. Nikko's switched sponsors now 3 times in the last few years and it's thrown his game into chaos a bit.

Wysocki and McBeth are the only names you need to know today.

McBeth said that Simon Lizotte may be his best competition right now.

And on a week-in, week-out basis, I agree, at least for right now. Ricky is a bit streaky and now he's messing with new discs on top of that. Wysocki is the most likely to beat McBeth by a fair margin at a major championship in my opinion, because he's that good. But for now at least he's still having weekends like this last one where he did OK, but he certainly wasn't up there with McBeth.

On the other hand Lizotte keeps getting better and better, can throw a mile, and can get hot with the putter too. I think he's going to break into the 1040's in rating by midway through the year if nothing falters.

Also on the actual topic, Nikko very may well come roaring back. I think putting his wizards back in the bag could make all the difference in the world. With discs he believes in, it's all between his ears. He's still a good player who can compete with anyone on a good day regardless of discs though.

Climo is still a beast. Nobody who's heading into their mid-late 40's is going to compete with these kids coming up now, but he's still a top notch player and he proves it every time he plays an event. Climo, Schultz, and McCray are a step above all the other masters age players in the game in my opinion. There's some others, but Climo is still able to dominate anybody on a great day.

McBeth said that Simon Lizotte may be his best competition right now.

Maybe. Last year it was all Wysocki and McBeth. Wysocki was supposed to come out here for the Battle at the Bon in Garland, TX but he had something "come up." Just almost seems like he gave up and didn't make a run at the end of the year. I like Lizotte, I would like to see him make a run at McBeth.

I put Nikko in my top 4 for the Memorial. He's played decently there in the past and I am banking on the bag change injecting some new life into his game.

You'll hear more about Lizotte this season. He's from Germany, but I believe he is touring here this year( with Avery). That kid can BOMB, and his putting prowess is dangerous

You'll hear more about Lizotte this season. He's from Germany, but I believe he is touring here this year( with Avery). That kid can BOMB, and his putting prowess is dangerous

Yeah, Lizotte is really fun to watch. From what I've seen, he often takes lines that are a bit different for everyone else. Pretty high risk/high reward, it seems. Makes for some entertaining disc golf.

touring: yes. with Avery: no.

Avery's sticking around home more with there being a little Arian Cotton Jenkins now ... so the touring mate of Simon in the Discmania RV isn't publicly known yet.

I put Nikko in my top 4 for the Memorial. He's played decently there in the past and I am banking on the bag change injecting some new life into his game.

Dude's got Wizards in the bag now, he's just automatically better doing that.

touring: yes. with Avery: no.

Avery's sticking around home more with there being a little Arian Cotton Jenkins now ... so the touring mate of Simon in the Discmania RV isn't publicly known yet.

Hopefully Avery will show up to the A-Tier here in Texas in April. He's registered for it, so we'll see.

Nikko's biggest problem with his game is himself. If he could get to a point where he doesn't explode when he has a bad shot, I believe he'd be a serious thorn in McBeth's side.

Nikko's biggest problem with his game is himself. If he could get to a point where he doesn't explode when he has a bad shot, I believe he'd be a serious thorn in McBeth's side.

This. I really enjoy watching Nikko. Unique player in his own right, but he definitely needs more self-discipline to reach the likes of McBeast and Ricky. It happens to everyone, though. It is difficult erasing that last terrible drive!

Cheers!

This. I really enjoy watching Nikko. Unique player in his own right, but he definitely needs more self-discipline to reach the likes of McBeast and Ricky. It happens to everyone, though. It is difficult erasing that last terrible drive!

Cheers!

If he wants to stay on tour for years to come, I think he's going to have to get a handle on his temper. It's bad for his image (already mentioned it's bad for his game).