• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What is the straightest flying, grippiest putter?

numbernine

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I currently putt with an Envy. Which I love. I do. But I am finding that it's a touch too overstable for stuff outside of 20 feet.

I like the way a soft judge's plastic feels, but I am not in love with the disc itself.

What putter do you throw that is dead straight, and comes in a real tacky, grippy plastic?

I want to try a dagger and a pure. Thoughts on tacky plastic for those as well?

Huh, the soft judge was the first thing to come to mind.

Maybe a zero soft pure or warden.

Shameless plug for the Reptilian Disc Golf Serpent in Chalk Pit plastic.

Low glide, straight flight and some of the best plastic ever produced. Gateway knows their way around the grippy blends.

If you love the Classic Soft plastic your Judge comes in, have you tried a Warden? I haven't thrown one personally, but I believe it would give a straighter fight (pretty sure it is basically a beadless Judge - could be wrong about that though) than the Judge and it comes in the same plastic.

Sticking to discs I have actually thrown...I would suggest trying a Gateway Magic or Voodoo. Pretty straight off the shelf and they come in just about any type of plastic you could want.

I putt with a Lat 64 Medium Spike. It's 4,2,-1,1. Great putter and the Medium plastic is grippy and I love the thumbpads, though some people find them gimmicky. They make it in Soft, which I have never used, but I would imagine would be even grippier. It's a great putter for me (I replaced both a Judge and a Wizard with it), just maybe not for everyone as the thumbpads put some people off.

XT Nova is the straightest disc I've ever thrown. However, I HATE it for putting. Between the super deep rim and the overmold "nubs" it just does not feel good to me for putting. For super straight stuff, I prefer the Serpent. Chalkpit is Reptilian's version of Gateway RFF with extra talc and feels great. Personally, I bag a Fossil Serpent which is more rigid and super grippy. Gotta love the Craft Disc Revolution!

I like the way a soft judge's plastic feels, but I am not in love with the disc itself.
What putter do you throw that is dead straight, and comes in a real tacky, grippy plastic?

I putt with a Classic Warden. Non-beaded, it's straighter than the Judge for longer distances (and by that we're talking 25-30 feet or more). Classic plastic is very firm, which I like, but also grippy. If you like softer plastic, then try to get your mitts on a Classic Blend or Classic Soft, and see what feels good for you.

The Lat64 equivalent of the above is Zero Hard, Zero Medium, and Zero Soft. The Pure is a good, straight-flying putter, though the Warden and Judge were more comfortable in my paws (JMHO, YMMV). Again, choose the softness of plastic you like.

A couple of honorable mentions: the Kastaplast Reko in their base plastic is grippy and a good putter. It may be a bit overstable for you, though. And the Prodigy Pa-4 in base 300 plastic is likewise grippy and VERY straight putting.

Last edited:
I currently putt with an Envy. Which I love. I do. But I am finding that it's a touch too overstable for stuff outside of 20 feet.

If you like the Envy so much, I can't believe you haven't tried the Atom or Proxy. I know the Atom feels a hell of a lot like an Envy, but comes in baseline Electron (both regular and soft blends) plastic and has less fade as well. I think the Proxy would have the flight you desire, but does not come in the Electron, so I would probably try the Atom first.

If you like Plasma, then a Plasma Proxy would be a great compliment to the Envy. I bag both and they are a great pair. But I'm not sure if that's the "grippiness" you're looking for.

What would you compare that X-line plastic to?

and thanks!

XT or X-line is pretty unique, but it feels like the blend they use for Yeti Aviars. Or, maybe a much firmer R-pro.

I switched to XT a couple years ago and couldn't imagine switching back now. Even wet or cold it is still tacky.

Btw, if you are intent on getting something in Trilogy Soft plastic, I think the Pure might be your best best. It has a similar profile to the Envy but without the bead of any kind. It is also a tad larger diameter (this may or may not concern you).

The Dagger I would not recommend if you like the feel of the Envy. The Dagger is extremely deep and will not have that neutral flight you are looking for.