• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] What's the deal with Discraft?

I'll answer seriously because I have no sense of humor...The Buzzz was Discrafts far-and-away best seller by the mid '00's (probably still is) so they went with the bee theme for a bunch of molds. The end. :|
Three Putt...you always impress.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Don't forget the Drone!

Innova and Discraft started this theme thing, I guess. You could say Dynamic Discs did the same thing (Felon, Justice, Escape, Getaway...) or even MVP (Atom, Ion or even Envy, Crave?). And I guess Discraft's original theme was the Comet/Stratus pair?

I'll answer seriously because I have no sense of humor...The Buzzz was Discrafts far-and-away best seller by the mid '00's (probably still is) so they went with the bee theme for a bunch of molds. The end. :|

Technically, the original was the Wasp. The Hymenoptera theme only became a "theme" when the Buzzz came along. And interestingly, the Wasp is odd man out because it's the only beaded one (as opposed to Buzzz, Hornet, Drone, Zombee).

Don't forget the Drone!

Innova and Discraft started this theme thing, I guess. You could say Dynamic Discs did the same thing (Felon, Justice, Escape, Getaway...) or even MVP (Atom, Ion or even Envy, Crave?). And I guess Discraft's original theme was the Comet/Stratus pair?

Technically, the original was the Wasp. The Hymenoptera theme only became a "theme" when the Buzzz came along. And interestingly, the Wasp is odd man out because it's the only beaded one (as opposed to Buzzz, Hornet, Drone, Zombee).
I think the lamest names of all time come from Dynamic discs...by far.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Don't forget the Drone!

Innova fairly early went with animal names generally. Discraft used space/weather names like Eclipse, Vortex, Cyclone, Comet, etc. Both of those had exceptions; a Banshee isn't an animal and a Magnet isn't a weather term, for example. In the late 90's Discraft switched to an "X" theme; X2, XL, APX, MRX, Xtra, Xtreme, etc. So I think it's just a general thing; you are sitting around thinking up names for golf discs and you kinda come up with an unofficial theme that a lot of them follow.

Innova fairly early went with animal names generally. Discraft used space/weather names like Eclipse, Vortex, Cyclone, Comet, etc. Both of those had exceptions; a Banshee isn't an animal and a Magnet isn't a weather term, for example. In the late 90's Discraft switched to an "X" theme; X2, XL, APX, MRX, Xtra, Xtreme, etc. So I think it's just a general thing; you are sitting around thinking up names for golf discs and you kinda come up with an unofficial theme that a lot of them follow.
Still dig the innova DX animal art. For me it's a throwback to the good ol days of getting done with a shift at the library and going throwing with the bros at our local, winner buys the vanilla cokes afterward, and we each pitch in a buck for a $4 hot n ready pizza.

Last edited:
There are only so many names! For giggles, next time you're driving, look at the car types/names and notice how many car companies stole names from discs. ;)

Don't forget the Drone!

hornet has a mini bead

I think the insect nomenclature is pretty good. Much better than criminal justice system terms.

Buzzz, Wasp, Drone, Zombee, Hornet, Sting, Mantis, Roach. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them expand on that a bit. I think there's a lot of idea space to use.

That being said - disc naming is kind of dumb and all over the place. I think DGA does the best with 'natural distaster/occurence' theme is probably my favorite, but it's all subjective anyway.

I think the insect nomenclature is pretty good. Much better than criminal justice system terms.

Buzzz, Wasp, Drone, Zombee, Hornet, Sting, Mantis, Roach. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them expand on that a bit. I think there's a lot of idea space to use.

That being said - disc naming is kind of dumb and all over the place. I think DGA does the best with 'natural distaster/occurence' theme is probably my favorite, but it's all subjective anyway.

Thats because nobody likes the criminal justice system if they are being honest with themselves. I agree that DD made a poor choice to go that route. Discraft names are pretty good overall. Even if they sound a bit edgy at times.

Threadslayer

I also like Westside's names + stamps. I had fun bringing my Sword and Shield to try and "slay" a course, with some help from a friendly Stag, Ahti, and the occasional Giant.