• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Bug spray have you had the most success with? Old remedies welcomed also!

RussMB

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I think I walked into a herd of starving mosquitoes today that acted like they had never tasted human blood! A cloud of them started following me! I actually quit my game early, and I had on 2 layers of Insect repellent! I think the repellent only pi**ed them off! What type of bug spray, repellent have you had the most success with?

I personally think that South Carolina is the place to put a repellent to the test!

I use Bull Frog's Mosquito Coast. It's both a bug spray and sun block so I only have to carry one bottle in my bag (I have a crunch box so the saved space is nice). Also it has no deet. Some may say that it's no good without deet but I've found it to be pretty effective. Also deet is pretty nasty stuff.

The OFF personal fan works great. You can clip it to your belt or your bag, and it puts a 15ft cloud around you. Its only about $8 at Wal-Mart.

Attachments

• OFF!-Clip-On-Mosquito-Repellent_slideshow_image.jpg
    OFF!-Clip-On-Mosquito-Repellent_slideshow_image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 10
Repel now sells 100 percent DEET bottles that you only need a few squirts of to keep everything away. Keep away from small children!

EricJ had some great stuff the last time we went and played. What was it Eric?

Repel now sells 100 percent DEET bottles that you only need a few squirts of to keep everything away. Keep away from small children!
iagree.gif

i use off, it tends to work the best for me, if you really don't care about the chemical deet, try to find some bug spray with deet in it, it just works better

i use off, it tends to work the best for me, if you really don't care about the chemical deet, try to find some bug spray with deet in it, it just works better

It's not just that DEET works better.. it's that essentially *only* DEET really works to repel mosquitos. There's actually been a lot of research on the topic. Yes, DEET is scary stuff.. keep it away from children and plastic.. yes, plastic. DEET can act as a plasticizer, turning your plastic items into goo.

nature's best bug repellent: Fern oil

Just rub the underside of fern leaves on your skin and bugs won't come anywhere near you. Doesn't leave behind much residue either.

the joy of cold weather in western new york, no bugs!!! :)

Thanks for the tips! It's been cold here! ...well, cooler. I think the bugs came out of hibernation, and ready to tear into a feast! I may look into that fan, because next week, I'm playing a true swamp course. The Sarge I don't want another experience like today!

I felt like a cartoon, If I were to go into a house and close the door, all the Mosquitoes would hit the door like bullets, with their stingers stuck in the wood!

Off Family Care Smooth & Dry

Works really well on kids and no icky mess either. But not so great in really dense mosquitos. For that I use the Repel (100% DEET in a small pump with nice cap that easily fits in a DG bag) or Deep Woods Off Sportsman (98.25% DEET in the small pump that easily fits in a DG bag).
Same here. I have to be careful with what I use as I've had a nasty allergic reaction to something in the Cutters brand bug sprays.

Yes, DEET is scary stuff.. keep it away from children and plastic.. yes, plastic. DEET can act as a plasticizer, turning your plastic items into goo.

This is true, if you must use deet, keep it away from your discs at all costs. It will eat into them. Make sure to clean your hands of residue before touching your discs as well.

I eat more than my share of garlic and am rarely bothered by mosquitos. In fact I'll be having some tonight in my fajitas. (If you're chopping green chili, you gotta chop in some garlic.)

If you remember those monquito repellant pills they were garlic but in such a high concentration that you would smell like garlic when you took them. It clashed with my Old Spice.

I just drag around a burning tire behind me, keeps the skeeters away with the added benefit of an upper body workout.

I just drag around a burning tire behind me, keeps the skeeters away with the added benefit of an upper body workout.

Nice, I carry around a "burning log" with me. Skeeters dont like the fog around me and my friends, and it makes our brains all warm and toasty.