• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wiscansin bound!

UnitedPuppySlayer

* Ace Member *
Gonna be heading down to the homeland from June 18-25. Heading to La Crosse on the 18th, then making my way towards Milwaukee/Mukwonago/Lake Geneva for several days after that, then back to La Crosse Saturday night through Monday. If anyone in the area wants to throw, let me know. I'll be visiting family so I won't have that much time to play. I plan I playing a couple courses between La Crosse and Milkwaukee, probably making a stop in Madison. Blah Blah Blah. Any courses that are highly recommended?

Elver and Heistand in Madison are really fun to play, but they get super crowded. I'd get there early and try to get both courses out of the way by noon or 1. Play Elver first since it gets packed earlier.

Grey Fox in Silver Lake, WI is only a half hour away from Lake Geneva and it's also fun to play. There's a tournament there on June 30th, so they will most likely move the pins to all long positions before then. They usually do it only a few days before a tournament, but maybe if you're lucky they'll have them in all longs towards the end of your stay.

Justin Trails is just a short drive away from LaCrosse.

Elver and Heistand in Madison are really fun to play, but they get super crowded. I'd get there early and try to get both courses out of the way by noon or 1. Play Elver first since it gets packed earlier.

Grey Fox in Silver Lake, WI is only a half hour away from Lake Geneva and it's also fun to play. There's a tournament there on June 30th, so they will most likely move the pins to all long positions before then. They usually do it only a few days before a tournament, but maybe if you're lucky they'll have them in all longs towards the end of your stay.

Justin Trails is just a short drive away from LaCrosse.

I plan on leaving LaX early-ish in the morning, so I should be able to make it to them before they get crowded. Even during the week are they that bad? As for Grey Fox, I was going to try to hit that one up over Christmas, but wasn't able to, thanks for reminding me! And I'm aware of Justin Trails. Tournament there on Sunday!

Thanks Notroman!

Consider Vallarta - Ast at Token Creek on the northeast side of Madison. The daily permit is $8, but as of this Friday afternoon, it will be a 27-hole course.

Also, give the course at Langer Park in Marshall (Bird's Ruins) a try. It's about 20 minutes east of Token Creek.

I wouldn't play Langer Park solo. You definitely want a spotter on some of the holes there. Fun course though!

Are the new holes at Token Creek as open as they seemed when I played there about a week ago? We saw some of the new fairways and they looked like they could use a few trees. Are there going to be pictures?

I would try to play Elver and Heistand before Token Creek. They're more fun to play, in my opinion. Token Creek is a gorgeous course though - very well maintained.

^I agree on the Madison courses, Token Creek is beautifully maintained and landscaped but I thought there were more interesting shots at Hiestand and Elver.

If you don't like crowds, and don't mind paying $8, go to Token. If you want better courses; but, perhaps a wait on every hole; play Hiestand and Elver. Bird's Ruin is mostly a chuck it course; i.e. if you're a 350 ft. plus player, you'll like it, if not, it's chuck it far, make an upshot and repeat, except for a couple of pin ball, wooded holes.

Yeah, that course was a weird one... It was either ~200-250ft technical shots or 500+ft wide open bombs. Not much in-between. Pretty decent elevation. I enjoyed letting the drives rip on the bomb holes but I can see where it can get frustrating if you can't throw over 300.

I'll have to check out Bird's Ruins in the spring or winter, it was awful in the fall. Chest high grass surrounding narrowly mowed fairways just isn't all that much fun.

More in the LaCrosse area: Wild Apple is a good visit and play and there's a new one, west of Justin Trails, in Minnesota, that I'm looking forward to checking out.

I wouldn't play Langer Park solo. You definitely want a spotter on some of the holes there. Fun course though!

I'm not too worried about losing discs, pretty good at finding them, and can find them pretty cheap.

If you don't like crowds, and don't mind paying $8, go to Token. If you want better courses; but, perhaps a wait on every hole; play Hiestand and Elver. Bird's Ruin is mostly a chuck it course; i.e. if you're a 350 ft. plus player, you'll like it, if not, it's chuck it far, make an upshot and repeat, except for a couple of pin ball, wooded holes.

Don't mind crowds or paying $8. Bird's Ruin fairly open then?

Yeah, that course was a weird one... It was either ~200-250ft technical shots or 500+ft wide open bombs. Not much in-between. Pretty decent elevation. I enjoyed letting the drives rip on the bomb holes but I can see where it can get frustrating if you can't throw over 300.

Sounds like Pettibone in LaX, I like letting my ~450 bombs go!

More in the LaCrosse area: Wild Apple is a good visit and play and there's a new one, west of Justin Trails, in Minnesota, that I'm looking forward to checking out.

Wild Apple is in Osseo. Met the guy that built it at the VMO and I got a free entry card. (Yes it's pay to play, the guy is paying for the course out of pocket) As for the course in MN, is it the one in Hokah, or however you spell it? Saw it on the course list, but haven't really even thought about taking the time to go play it while I'm in the La Crosse area.

Bird's Ruins is a mix of longer open shots with grassy rough and a few shorter tight technical holes in the trees.

Looks a little further off the path than I'd like to go, but we'll see when the time get nearer. I figure the grass will grow quite a bit in the next month or so. Mowed fairways at least I assume?

Problem is that 3 or 4 of the bomb holes have elevation making it impossible to see your drive land off the tee. You can only guess where it hyzered in and at that point hope that it's in the short grass. That's really the only holes we used spotters on.

Had a feeling it was going to be this, but was hoping not.

Zobel Park

If you get a chance, get out to Zobel Park in Green Lake. IMO it is one of the hidden gems of the state(just put in last year). It is beautiful, challenging and hardly gets played, since its a little ways out of the way. Check it out, for real.

Latest posts