• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Conditions Ever Played

Man o Man, I am in lancaster pa and right now we are getting pounded with snow. We had over 2 feet on saturday and I just woke up to 10 more inches and they say theres another 10 coming as the day goes on. I am going nuts thinking I can't play for god knows how long. It made me think...whats the worst conditions you guys have ever played in? Rain, snow, ice, wind, Tsunami, volcano eruption? If we dont have disc golf in lancaster pa, the next most exciting thing to do is watch the amish...what a shame.

I can stand being cold or hot...but we played in roughly 40 mph winds one day, and it was hilariously bad. There wasn't a putt made all day. There's one hole at our home course that's roughly 500 ft down hill, and the wind was blowing dead in our face and gusting. I don't think anyone took better than a 6 on that thing.

DiscJon and I played in like 6 inches of snow, 11 degrees..30mph winds...-4 windchill...on a wide open course that is really long...

\/\/

About the worst conditions ever played was in the rain one morning. It was just supposed to be light rain but it got worse and worse and while we were teeing off of a wooded hill on the hole the furthest from the parking lot, my friend shanks it way right and into the rough He goes to find his disc and the rest of us went down the hill. All of a sudden the rain turned into a torrential downpour. We huddled up against some big trees in a futile attempt to keep a couple of sacred places or our bodies dry. After about ten minutes like this a cell phone rang. It was the guy up on the hill, wondering if we left him for the parking lot. He'd been up there wondering if he was staying up there for nothing. It was hilarious. We did finish the round.

Worst conditions for me would be about 4-5 years ago.. I got stuck at hole 14 at Otter Creek Park during a hail storm with about 3 other guys. It wasn't much fun but there really wasn't much we could do as well. So we just toughed it out through the hail and lightning.. I wouldnt recommend it.

I haven't been playing long, but one time sticks out in my head. We had gotten about a foot of snow, followed up by a quick warmup, some rain, followed again with bitter cold. This left the entire course I was at completely covered in ice. Sometimes this was absolutely great in that once your disc hit the ice, it would continue on for some distance. The other side of this is my friend putted from 20 feet away, missed, and it carried another 25 feet past the basket... which lead to another miss - and it carrying 30 feet past the basket. He had to lay up from that distance... so he went from a birdie chance to a double bogey. After seeing that, I walked around the basket to break up the ice a bit before my putts.

The wind was also just ridiculous, you *had* to throw the disc flat all the time... any time the disc went vertical - the wind just did crazy things to the disc... and like I mentioned earlier - once it hit the ice, there's no telling where it would end up. It was a completely different game. We felt like men when we were done.

I guess the worst for me was actually a tournament here in Crystal Lake IL. We had high winds and it was rain off and on. During the second round the lightning rolled in and was actually striking in the park. mid-2nd rnd we were called in to wait for the storm to pass. As my group was walking in we had lightning hit about 200ft from us. that was crazy and freaked us all out. that tourney took forever but we all manned up and finished.
Another one that sticks out in my mind was the first time i played in winter. me and my buddy decided we were gonna try to beat the blizzard that was rolling in. Winds were 30+ mph but the ground was free of snow. When we started we could just see the storm in the distance (we had no idea how fast it was actually moving). By hole 3 there was about 4in of snow and the wind felt like it doubled. We picked up and left, not worth it at all. We got over a foot in a matter of a few hours in that storm i was so called we left.
Rain, wind, and snow really arent that bad. Once you've played in it a few times you get used to it. its all about dressing apporpiately.

My son and I had driven to a course in about 40 degree mellow weather, just fine. As we pulled in, so did a huge storm. It ended up being so windy and cold that your eyes would water just standing on the tee. We figured we would try and play since we drove all the way there. After a few holes of shooting 8s and 9s in the wind and having no feeling in our hands we decide to leave. It's the only time we haven't finished an out of town course.

Man o Man, I am in lancaster pa and right now we are getting pounded with snow. We had over 2 feet on saturday and I just woke up to 10 more inches and they say theres another 10 coming as the day goes on. I am going nuts thinking I can't play for god knows how long. It made me think...whats the worst conditions you guys have ever played in? Rain, snow, ice, wind, Tsunami, volcano eruption? If we dont have disc golf in lancaster pa, the next most exciting thing to do is watch the amish...what a shame.

I feel you man, its the same story here in delaware. I'm hoping to get out by the end of this week.
as for worst, i've played 2 tournaments in sleet. the first my putter literally had a layer of ice on it and there were icicles forming on the baskets in between rounds. 2nd tournament i lost feeling in my hand and had no tight grip on my discs.

I played in bitter cold and snow in Western NY as well as swealtering heat and swarms of insects in Georgia and Florida, but my first visit to Quaker's challenge (PA) was the worst. Rain so heavy I couldn't see. I knew my disc was 6-10 ft infront of my and I still considered leaving it behind. I ended up being forced to quit at hole 6 when the walking paths were overtaken by a flash flood. I had a hard time finding my car because the paths were all rushing streams and I couldn't see more than a few feet ahead.

So Far I have only played in the heat, down pouring rain, light snow and the WIND. By far the WIND is the worst conditions for me

RussMB played in a tourney with some nasty wind and some course flooding at East Bay Park, but I should let him give details.

instead of prerubing the other thread and turning it into an anti-prerubing, I will just bump this one :)

Christy played in a tournament last year where there was standing water up to her ankles on several tees.

Like 20 people quit but she soldiered through it. She was so soaked that she took off all her clothes and wrapped in a blanket the whole trip home, I am shocked she didn't get sick.

i had a tourney a few weeks ago,. we got caught in an huge thunder storm, 50mph winds snapping trees like twigs and huge white outs.....it was nasty

hail and lightning.. I wouldnt recommend it.

My brother and I went out to play a month or so ago and got caught by some wind and rain while on the furthest point of the course. We decided to keep playing. Well a couple holes later we were dealing with marble sized hail and some severe lightning!

We took our chances and had a blast but I also wouldn't recommend it. I actually held a disc over my head at times because the hail was beginning to hurt.

Christy played in a tournament last year where there was standing water up to her ankles on several tees.

Like 20 people quit but she soldiered through it. She was so soaked that she took off all her clothes and wrapped in a blanket the whole trip home, I am shocked she didn't get sick.

Sounds like an ice bowl I played in charlotte back in 08 or so. Freezing blowing rain. Most people quit, allowing me to take 1st in my division. When I found out my prize was a nondescript walmart hat I thought no wonder everybody quit! :p

Speaking of ice bowls... I played in one in VA a couple years back where the wind was blowing so hard that a tree fell down between me and the basket I was putting at in between rounds. It crushed a picnic table. Needless to say I needed to change my shorts and the second round was canceled.

You are the king of crap payout man, I will never be your partner in doubles!

It was the last Steven's County Pro-Am up in Toccoa.