• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wrist Snap and Crushing the Can

Trevdor

Hey guys, I'm still looking for that big form breakthrough. Most of my throws are around 250' and maxing out at 300'. I've been trying to focus on two things recently (but I'm completely open to all suggestions.)

1) I ran across Slowplastic's post about his closed wrist drill (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109910) and that made a lot of sense to me. Here's a video trying to really get the feel for that. I think I'm doing it right.

2) I assume part of my problem is lack of weight transfer. I've been trying to incorporate the Smash the Can drill to help with that:

Thanks for any and all critique!

Last edited:
Your setup stance is too wide, so you aren't quite shifting your weight back. When you hit your reachback point, you are rounding with the disc to far behind/around your body and your spine is too upright/back with the arm/disc too high. Your reachback should be lower and spine tilted in a more athletic forward tilted position and arm/disc wider away from your body so the disc can travel straight through your core without the body being in the way.

Last edited:
Nice, you got exactly what I was trying to get through in that thread and it looks like you're holding onto the disc nice and late.

I would really check your grip, make sure that the disc is nose down relative to your forearm. Also experiment with getting a good pinch point with your index finger/thumb through the flight plate. Getting your grip alignment correct along with maintaining a proper swing plane (SW22 pointed out you reach back too high, etc.) will be a big step forward. This website is great for the pictures: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

It looks like you are planting with your front foot opening, which opens your lead hip at the step. Instead power should be transferred from the back foot and through your body (so try to direct your rear knee forwards at the target in a straight line...which means through your front knee essentially). Basically your weight shift tempo is off because of these things, so I would spend some time with SW22 various videos...they are very in depth so don't rush it. Rewatch as needed after you have breakthroughs and more things make sense.

The swing plane/grip would be my first focus as that is easiest and will be most important for clean releases. Once that (along with getting that arm position/wrist action that you have) are pretty much getting autopiloted you can really focus on changing everything from the ground up which is where the major power will come from.

Ok, got out a few times this week to practice. Focusing on shortening my stance and getting into a more athletic posture. Trying to make sure my wrist is in the down position. Trying to reach straight back and not rounding. And getting a better weight shift.

Some of it I think is working. The most noticeable thing I can see that I'm still doing wrong is my pull through is not coming all on the same plane. It feels like it is, but it obviously isn't in the video below.

Still getting 200-250' in general which I'm fine with as long as I get the technique down and know I can build up from there. The very last throw of the day, which is in the video, was my farthest of the day. Close to 300' with a nice S curve from a Valkyrie.

Last edited:
Need to stay more inside your front foot, you are going over it. There needs to be some resistance to turn on the front leg, so you can post on it(the move part 2). You also need to move your rear heel forward behind your front foot(the move part 1). Your rear heel just goes straight up(spin out). Your weight/lower spine is still stuck on the rear leg during the swing. That causes you to stand up through the swing instead of staying in athletic tilt(tilted spiral). If you fix that your swing plane looks good otherwise.