• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Z Hornet thoughts

BigMerch81

Par Member
What do you guys think of the Z Hornet? I've been loving it. I already had a buzz, wasp and a drone. I mainly threw the wasp before because of the stability but when I really ripped the wasp it would flip on me a bit. The Hornet seems to really fit well between the drone and wasp. I can put tons of stink on it and it always comes back. I play lots of windy courses here in Minnesota and I've been throwing the Hornet on a few holes now instead of drivers, it easily goes past 300 ft and is very predictable. I have yet to flip one out of control, which besides a Drone has been a huge problem for me with less stable mids. Its only been a few weeks but this disc has been reliable. My buzz seems to be getting less work unless I have a tailwind or an anny shot.

I've been meaning to start a thread about the Hornet.
I actually really like it alot. Way more than I though I was going to. I generally don't like really overstable stuff but I was surprised by the hornet. It is a long, overstable midrange that goes fairly straight and then has a hard flare instead of a gradual fade. I was really impressed with how well the Hornet stays up in the air as it is fading. It doesn't knife into the ground like when I power down on an EX. The Hornet tracks to the left for a good way before eventually falling to the ground. It can handle a decent headwind. Not quite as well as I had hoped but still more than well enough for the role it fills. I like the soft, opaque Z plastic that mine came in.

FWIW I was easily getting over 300' with the Hornet. I probably averaged 320' across the different wind directions.

All in all I was way more impressed with the Hornet. I would like to see a higher and a lower PLH example to get an idea of the stability range of the mold. If the disc held up into stronger headwinds I'd call it just about perfect.

Since we have a Z hornet thread now I was thinking about taking the rocs out of the bag due to me not using them as much since I use comets for like 90% of mid throws. Anyway I was thinking of putting in a devoted overstable mid and was debating between the hornet and vector. Can someone compare the two?

Frank Delicious said:
Since we have a Z hornet thread now I was thinking about taking the rocs out of the bag due to me not using them as much since I use comets for like 90% of mid throws. Anyway I was thinking of putting in a devoted overstable mid and was debating between the hornet and vector. Can someone compare the two?
Like marmoset said, the Hornet gets a fairly long straight flight with a nice fade at the end, the Vector starts fading much earlier in flight. I've thrown two Hornets and three Vectors and the Vectors are more overstable, apart from my flat orange one.

Frank Delicious said:
... I was thinking of putting in a devoted overstable mid and was debating between the hornet and vector. Can someone compare the two?
I have never thrown a Vector.
I'm thinking about dropping my Rocs and running the Hornet/Comet combo. Brand new DX Rocs kind of overlap with the Hornet and beat Rocs kind of overlap with the Comets. So I figure the Hornet/Comet combo should be golden.
I really like brand new DX Rocs but I wish they kept that overstability longer. My Rocs tend to lose a good bit of overstability right off the bat (maybe its the flashing wearing off?) and then they stay mildly overstable for a long time. Well the Z Comet can cover the mildly overstable shots for me. And the ESP/X Comets fill the neutral and understable slots perfectly so I don't really need to carry a beat Roc. A beat Roc, of course, is not the same as the Comet but I can switch between the 2 molds just fine. I wouldn't miss one if I had the other.
So... short story long, I think the Hornet/Comet combo is working fine. I'll miss the feel and grip of the DX but I'll pick up the extra durability of Z. The opaque, soft Z is pretty grippy when its dry so maybe I won't miss the DX too much.

I really hope they release an Elite X Hornet. I'd probably even like the Pro D if their blends are groovy.

Frank Delicious said:

I threw Hornets for a couple of months before I got my Vectors, which replaced them. I think I've got a pretty good feel for each mold. Each of them are nice...

The Vector is like a slightly faster and more overstable Rancho. It's flighpath is similar as it's transitions in flight are slow and gradual. The Hornet is much closer to a driver. It's like a hybrid between a Buzzz and a Tracker. It flies long and straight with a late but strong fade. When I throw the Vector I'm throwing like a mid, when I throw the Hornet I'm throwing like I do my fairway drivers. This means that you can throw the Vector slowly with a lot of spin and it still generates enough lift to stay in the air, but throw the Hornet like that and it goes to the ground like a driver. So I had to arm the Hornet more.

I'm liking the Ace Race Hornet I have a lot for FH. I've been too lazy to go buy a Z Hornet to try. I guess now I will. I am also curious about the Vector. Discspeed it is interesting that you compare the Hornet to a driver. I can see it, but I don't use the Hornet for what I normally use a mid for.

@ Marmoset: are you off the 150g bandwagon?

keltik said:
@ Marmoset: are you off the 150g bandwagon?
Ummm... yeah, for now.
I had specific goals in mind when I started running 150 class. Cleaner form, more snap, better wind play, etc.
This season I started throwing the normal weights (172-ish) to evaluate my progress. I feel I have accomplished my goals.
Last night I was bombing my Bosses, Nukes and Destroyers 420-450' on low lines so I think I like where I am. My wind play has improved drastically. But I haaaate the rims on the Bosses and Nukes. Even the Destroyer is pushing the limit of my comfort. I just cannot get a good grip on the wider stuff.

There are many advantages to light discs so I might very well switch back for the rest of my "career." I am throwing with a mostly-healed sprained wrist right now so the lighter stuff is looking very attractive ;)
I just don't like to throw hard. Well, okay, I do like to show off from time to time. I like to make people's jaws drop… it's not that hard to do around here, just throw more than 350'. Check, got that covered.

Its one of the most thrown discs in my bag right now. It's overstable.....but not too much. I pair it with a couple x buzzes.

as a drone preacher/lover, it was okay. the grip was awkward like a mix between a dart and a roc [im a buzzz thrower - HATE the grip of a roc]. it flew well and i definitely had some nice shots with it, just wasnt my cup of tea though. i would rather power up on my JOKERi, power down on my banshees/exp1s, or just throw a drone...and i suppose the occasional hyzerflipped buzzz. NOT a bash what so ever, just figured other fellow drone lovers should be able to hear that.

Yeah, I was comparing my Hornets against my Drones.
I didn't expect to like the Hornet because it is an overstable mid (I know I already said this) but I ended up really liking it. The Drone is too overstable for my preferences. And it knifes during the fade. The Hornet really impressed me by not knifing. The Drone is good and flies as advertised but I think the qualities of the Hornet are more in tune with my needs.

Anyone else try the Hornet but prefer something else? Demon? I didn't expect to like the Hornet. Now I'm wondering if there is an even better overstable mid out there.

I'm wary of the wind performance of the Hornet but Vector too even the domey more LSS ones. Z Wasps that i have are better for the wind but the lesser fade is a problem if you want to throw flat and have the disc finish left unless you're good at powering down drivers.

I love my Z Hornets. I still run Comets and Buzzzs 99% of the time during calm weather, but nothing makes me feel as comfortable as the hornet once it starts blowing. I think discspeed is right about needing to put some stank behind it to get the flight you want if you don't have a solid headwind though. Another wonderful thing I've noticed is that it skips fantastically for me; has anyone else noticed this, or am I magically putting it on that "just right" line to get maximum skip?

JR said:
I'm wary of the wind performance of the Hornet but Vector too even the domey more LSS ones. Z Wasps that i have are better for the wind but the lesser fade is a problem if you want to throw flat and have the disc finish left unless you're good at powering down drivers.

My slightly domey 178 Vectors handle wind like champs. I've seen some slight high speed turn, but it's very manageable.

discspeed said:
JR said:

My slightly domey 178 Vectors handle wind like champs. I've seen some slight high speed turn, but it's very manageable.

...and you can get them from...clearwater disc golf store! :lol:

Frank Delicious said:

this is actually how I have my bag setup as well. I tried the Hornet out but didn't really gel with it's flight. I have a nice opto Pain that isn't super beefy overstable, but gets the job done very well. I also have a goldline, but I think that is on the higher end of the spectrum for overstability, and is nearly unusable.

I've not thrown the Vector yet, so unfortunately I can't compare it with the Hornet. I do like the flight path of the Opto Pain more than the hornet - it seems to fly with maybe a 0 HSS rating with some glide, and it glides over the hyzer finish more like an overstable roc. I really struggled ranging the Hornet due to it's lack of glide respective to the Pain.

victorb said:
I've not thrown the Vector yet, so unfortunately I can't compare it with the Hornet. I do like the flight path of the Opto Pain more than the hornet - it seems to fly with maybe a 0 HSS rating with some glide, and it glides over the hyzer finish more like an overstable roc. I really struggled ranging the Hornet due to it's lack of glide respective to the Pain.
The only Opto Pain I've tested was pretty damn straight, but the two GLs I've thrown flew pretty much like a less gyroscopic Vector would probably fly: About the same stability but more abrupt changes in attitude.

discspeed said:
JR said:

I won't know how Vectors are supposed to fly if i can't loan that of someone else. I don't think i'll buy more because the domey i have is fading too much too arly for my style and i lost my flat one. If flat ones were readily available i might not have such an interest in the Buzzzkill. I really liked the (almost) flat topped Vector i lost sniff. The longest mid on average for me ever and straight enough on the longest rips as a Buzzz (straighter) compliment.