• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

Hmm. Looks like the 5.0 review by the course designer has been removed.
For the best. They've penned three reviews, and all of them have been 5.0 (with the one for their own course having been removed, as mentioned).

Not saying these aren't very good courses, but it seems like "very good" = 5.0 in his book.

I wonder what rating Maple Hill or Harmony Bends deserves on that scale...

There be a new one... 1 Course Played, 1 Review, 3 sentences, 5 stars

First, this is probably a pretty good course. But it's a bit suspect, when the course is 12 years old, but the only 4 reviews (5 if that other one wasn't removed) were written within the last few weeks, and all say about the same thing, with little real information to back up the rating. I think they all said "owner is always making improvements" and "the scenery is great". Nice try to help out the owner, but not really very helpful reviews--at all.

First, this is probably a pretty good course. But it's a bit suspect, when the course is 12 years old, but the only 4 reviews (5 if that other one wasn't removed) were written within the last few weeks, and all say about the same thing, with little real information to back up the rating. I think they all said "owner is always making improvements" and "the scenery is great". Nice try to help out the owner, but not really very helpful reviews--at all.
I agree, "probably" a solid course with an owner who passionately cares for it and is always working to make it better. The reviews don't do the job of letting people know what makes the course worth 5 stars, or the experience I should expect. This is one of those courses that, based on reviews, I wouldn't make a trip to go play. However, if I was in the area already playing something else, I'd swing by this to give it a shot and hopefully provide a better view of the experience and course. I feel like as mentioned before, the thorough reviews on this site are what keep us from diluting into that other App. And the course reviews are what actually brought me to this site, because that other App was pretty sparse in detailed information and ratings on courses, making run down city parks appear to be 4.5 star gems on the site.

Last edited:
we need one of the trusted reviewers that played it to give a real review; looking at you @Cerealman
I played The Black Widow, now over 2 years ago.
The front nine is mostly all wooded, with #1, #3 and #5 (I believe) all having little to no fairway. #9 was pretty cool, a short, ridge to ridge hole.
The back nine opens up a lot with #12, a beautiful hole heading straight up toward the house. There are several holes in a small area, 13-15 with an island green laid out.
At that time, I would rate it 3.0, so with any decent improvements, I could see a 3.5.

There's also a short, Tiki course on the property. So a twofer for us Baggers!! ;)

we need one of the trusted reviewers that played it to give a real review; looking at you @Cerealman
I'm on it. I've started putting sentences together and hope to publish a review in the next day. While I'm accused of having a photographic memory of disc golf courses, it was about 1.5 years ago that I played Black Widow.

There be a new one... 1 Course Played, 1 Review, 3 sentences, 5 stars

The owner is a swell guy. However, he has been asking on his Facebook course page for DGCR reviews. Sigh.

I've pissed off another course designer, and it's only been a couple of weeks!

Looks like his buddy joined yesterday to give this obscene 4.5:

I have really debated if I should have gone up to 2.5 here, but I think my 2 is defensible. A 4.5 for a niner that doesn't even have tee signs yet from a first time reviewer… suspect at best.

Some people just don't give a crap enough to be relatively objective. If they had fun, it's got to be at least a 4.0. Doesn't matter if it's no better than 75% of the courses out there... it's "excellent."

Makes it that much more important for serious reviewers to keep fighting the good fight.

When DGCR reviews and ratings become as useless as U-Disc's, all it'll be good for is the forum and reading ancient reviews written by crotchety old farts who complain "Kids today just don't give a $hit! It's all or nothing. No in between."

I know there is a significant difference in the disc rating for this course, but I gave both reviews a thumb up for being HELPFUL. With the map and the pictures, both reviews help me visualize the course very well. Folks can have different reasons for the rating number given. Eventually, with enough quality reviews, the (DGCR at least) rating number will settle in to something appropriate. But like I say, I'm more interested in what's written.
Thanks for writing them!

I've actually been wanting to get out to play Black Widow for a while now. Hopefully I will get to check it out sometime soon. I know they were asking for people to come play the course and write reviews here. Was hoping to check it and Neatman Creek out on the same day.

I know there is a significant difference in the disc rating for this course, but I gave both reviews a thumb up for being HELPFUL. With the map and the pictures, both reviews help me visualize the course very well. Folks can have different reasons for the rating number given. Eventually, with enough quality reviews, the (DGCR at least) rating number will settle in to something appropriate. But like I say, I'm more interested in what's written.
Thanks for writing them!
I agree - while this review seemed like a newbie/homer review to me, it was actually pretty well written and helpful. Certainly beats the newbie one liners.

I agree - while this review seemed like a newbie/homer review to me, it was actually pretty well written and helpful. Certainly beats the newbie one liners.
Yeah, I didn't thumbs down that review because he actually thought it out and spent more than 30 seconds typing it out and it had useful information. The problem comes in when they over-inflate to 5 stars a course that is probably 3 1/2 due to some kind of bias, such as a hand job by the designer/ owner.

Last edited:
I have given out more downvotes than the average guy, but man there have been more stonkers this week than since the site refresh!

I have given out more downvotes than the average guy, but man there have been more stonkers this week than since the site refresh!

Agreed. Bonkers amount of stonkers lately.

Latest posts