• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] First run Star Destroyers.....

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Anyone still throw them? I have one in the bag, and have for years. Played a couple rounds today and remembered why I fell in love with the Destroyer in the first place. Its perfect. Holds a line on hard rips and glides very well. It was bombing accurately as far as all the other drivers in my bag.

No Destroyer Innova has produced since is as good, and I see now why they've become so valuable.

All the Destroyers out now don't come close. They don't glide the same and are far more overstable.

There is a run of 3 line Avery Destroyer from 2015 that I'd pick over a *D if I had to choose one vs the other for a tourney bag. Probably just as rare than a *D though.

I'd also pick a hard, domed SDS over a first run.

Really depends on how you throw.

Legen

_________________________________________wait for it

dary !

Any orginal, Proto, or ☆D, the Destroyer was designed for Star plastic. Everyone who throws discs, should, at one point in their life, try an original Star D.

Last edited:
Any orginal, Proto, or ☆D, the Destroyer was designed for Star plastic. Everyone who throws discs, should, at one point in their life, try an original Star D.

I would have thought this was BS, people looking back at collector discs saying they are the best. I got to throw a proto star last year and it bombed, flew like 12/5/-2/2 but was trustworthy instead of just flipping into oblivion. Definitely nothing like the meathook Destroyers that are common. Part of it is likely how it was from the start, and part of it from years of use. Unfortunately most new Destroyers don't fly like that (some can be great, and some usable OS), and some discs that do don't have a Destroyer stamp...makes things confusing.

I would have thought this was BS, people looking back at collector discs saying they are the best. I got to throw a proto star last year and it bombed, flew like 12/5/-2/2 but was trustworthy instead of just flipping into oblivion. Definitely nothing like the meathook Destroyers that are common. Part of it is likely how it was from the start, and part of it from years of use. Unfortunately most new Destroyers don't fly like that (some can be great, and some usable OS), and some discs that do don't have a Destroyer stamp...makes things confusing.

This. I've been playing a while and have gotten to throw quite a few proto Star Destroyers. There hasn't been a Destroyer since that matches them. The newer star Destroyers are not only overstable, but they don't glide anything like proto ones.

Frankly, I'm partial to Augusta CFR Wraiths too. Outstanding fliers.

Legen

_________________________________________wait for it

dary !

Yes, especially if the only Destroyers you've thrown are the really overstable, un-glidey McBeth ones. Those almost resemble XCalibers to me.

Yes, especially if the only Destroyers you've thrown are the really overstable, un-glidey McBeth ones. Those almost resemble XCalibers to me.

My champ XCal sits two notches below my most overstable driver, which happens to be a star Destroyer. It has more distance and more turn than the Destroyer...and I've thrown lots of Destroyers that have far less glide than the XCal too.

It's so confusing to me, the proto stars seem to have turn and good distance. Then a few years ago everyone was looking for "good OS Destroyers" even though the originals apparently weren't OS the same way. Now we get crap OS Destroyers (maybe for massive armed people they fly well?) and we can't get distance Destroyers haha.

My champ XCal sits two notches below my most overstable driver, which happens to be a star Destroyer. It has more distance and more turn than the Destroyer...and I've thrown lots of Destroyers that have far less glide than the XCal too.

It's so confusing to me, the proto stars seem to have turn and good distance. Then a few years ago everyone was looking for "good OS Destroyers" even though the originals apparently weren't OS the same way. Now we get crap OS Destroyers (maybe for massive armed people they fly well?) and we can't get distance Destroyers haha.

I just kind of think its crap for Innova to obviously tweak the mold of a disc and still call it the same thing. I'd also agree on the comparison to the XCal. I've thrown 1 McBeth Destroyer that was WAAAYYY more stable than my XCal. Didn't have the distance either.

IMO first run Star Destroyers were plenty stable. They did exactly what they were advertised as doing. Stable flight with a little high speed turn and lots of glide. The new Destroyers are pure beef. Every Champ Destroyer I've ever thrown have been nasty overstable too..... save one. A very old CFR Destroyer. It flies perfectly.

If Innova needs/wants a more stable Destroyer, fine. Call it something else and change the flight numbers to reflect it.

Last edited:
If Innova needs/wants a more stable Destroyer, fine. Call it something else and change the flight numbers to reflect it.

Yep, 12/3/0/4, the Destroyourarm. Even Sexton seems to use star XCals for his distance forehand, and step up to Destroyers for windy shots, as much as I can tell from tourney footage at least.

Found a perfectly seasoned (terrible ink though) Proto Star in the used bin last fall for $5.

Its now occupying the 'understable Destroyer' slot in the bag. Amazing disc. I have no clue why somebody would let it go for the couple bucks the store gave them.

How did they tweak the mold?

I heard some people say/saw pictures they had "zipper tops" on some Destroyers...I really don't know enough about the situation and molding to know if that means a new mold piece? Or if simply the ones that are out now have been cooling/molding very OS. I don't know the reasons but every McBeth one I've seen has been very very OS, not that I've seen them all.

Has anyone here recently thrown an UNTHROWN *D or proto star? I'm always a little skeptical of people making this claim based off a disc or discs that have been in their bag for years. Seasoned discs lose stability and pick up glide... I know that the anecdotal wisdom is that the first run Destroyers were a little less stable than a lot of later runs and maybe that is true. But if you've been throwing a disc for years, it WILL be less stable than it was fresh, so making that disc the pinnacle of what you expect out of a new one is not really reasonable.

I know the disc which made me fall in love with Star Destroyers. It's an old blue F2 with patent numbers marked only DS (no S or * so hard to tell what run). I remember that I used to throw all these different distance drivers and one day I noticed that the Destroyer was going further even though it had basically zero turn than the others, and I just started throwing it more and more and the others less and less. Now, I had been throwing it for a while when that happened; out of the box it was too overstable for my arm to get great distance, but I just kept throwing it and it picked up glide and distance until it turned into my primary driver. Then after being in the bag for a few years it started to develop some turn and get even more distance, but it's not as reliable in the wind as it used to be. While it's still a great disc, I would never expect a new Destroyer to fly like this one does, and I can get the same flight it has out of a number of other discs (seasoned Pro or GStar Destroyer, champ Tern, Shryke, etc.)

I have since then thrown several different runs of Destroyers including the old SDS's a lot of people like. Those SDS's start out very overstable for my arm; about as overstable as the current McBeth's honestly. I've heard people say that they pick up great glide as they beat in and become amazing drivers, and I don't doubt that at all. It's the same thing my old Destroyer did after all. I also wouldn't be surprised if you could say the same thing about the McBeth runs as they beat in.

oh, delicious unobtanium..

I picked up a 166g color glow champ panda stamped destroyer a couple months ago that is just about perfect. On the stable side of the distance destroyer range.

I would switch to *Destroyers in a heartbeat if they were consistently like this.

I've never thrown an original *D or seen one in person for that matter, but it sounds like people who have are describing a Champ Tern like flight with better high speed predictability.

I used to throw Destroyers. Absolutely loved them. Now, the good ones are too expensive. While not exactly what I want, Outlaws are close enough to earn that space in my bag. Sold all my old ones and bought a stack of Outlaws. Works for me.

oh, delicious unobtanium..

I picked up a 166g color glow champ panda stamped destroyer a couple months ago that is just about perfect. On the stable side of the distance destroyer range.

I would switch to *Destroyers in a heartbeat if they were consistently like this.

I've never thrown an original *D or seen one in person for that matter, but it sounds like people who have are describing a Champ Tern like flight with better high speed predictability.
I only have four but mine are not too similar to champ terns

Has anyone here recently thrown an UNTHROWN *D or proto star? I'm always a little skeptical of people making this claim based off a disc or discs that have been in their bag for years. Seasoned discs lose stability and pick up glide... I know that the anecdotal wisdom is that the first run Destroyers were a little less stable than a lot of later runs and maybe that is true.

Yes. I bought all of my Star D's brand new. I've thrown all the D's, almost all new, first runs.
I have Protos, ☆D's, first run Echos, first run DX, stabilized ☆s, and currently bag a pink Pro, had a 2008 poppy toppy CFR Champ which I lost.
Its a feel thing, Dave talks about how getting raw materials consistently, is difficult.
The first runs,especially the Proto Stars just have a feel to them. Its just screams " THROW THE BEJESUS OUTTA ME", which you do because its screaming at you, and it goes really far. Really has nothing to do with overstable, understable, or parting line height.

All the Stars will beat in to perfection, but the reason Innova has made so many D's is because those original ones got us hooked on thier buttery, bacony goodness.

Latest posts