• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frustration can’t get over 250ft max 327

Ebp921

I picked up disc golf this summer. Playing approximately 5 months. I've practiced and practiced almost every day doing field work and working on my form. Any suggestions and help would be awesome..

I know I have a lot to work on but I feel like I should have increased distance from when I started.

Attachments

• My Movie 7.mov
    41.1 MB
What are your goals?

Mechanically, you have classic "flat" mechanics overall. You're trying to pivot everything with your spine vertical to the ground rather than moving more like a natural athletic walk or run, and you've blocked essentially all the "free" power you can get from leading the throw with your mAss. You are getting very little out of your legs, hip action, core, and gravity.

I'd be working on these to exaggerate (1) the overall flatness of how you're moving (hardest thing to fix for most people) and (2) get used to moving around and throwing in different stances.

Increasingly I think it's good for people to work on Door Frame Drills early and often. You want to get your throwing shoulder loading lower to the ground than your rear shoulder, and you want your body mass to lead the throw shifting into the plant. That way your core and arm contribute more to the acceleration rather than try to generate it in a vacuum.

My goals? I'm not entirely sure.(490ft with reasonable accuracy, then work on shot shaping) I just don't want to have bad form before moving on. I'll work on some of this stuff you suggested and post another video. I appreciate the time.

Also, everything I've seen and been practicing keeps everything on a flat straight plane. I've spent a lot of time trying not to round and keep that straight plane and release.

Last edited:
Also, everything I've seen and been practicing keeps everything on a flat straight plane. I've spent a lot of time trying not to round and keep that straight plane and release.
YW!

Yes, it is common that people see and practice that. It usually results in inefficiencies and low consistent distance ceilings.

For your consideration:

YW!

Yes, it is common that people see and practice that. It usually results in inefficiencies and low consistent distance ceilings.

For your consideration:

Awesome, I guess should I be trying to rebuild this from ground up? Starting over?

Awesome, I guess should I be trying to rebuild this from ground up? Starting over?
Seems to depend on the player.

In your case, I can tell you have spent time on your form, but because the mechanics are built around the flat swing plant it's leaving a lot on the table.

If I were asked to bet, my best guess is that you might want to approach it more about changing how you balance and get from foot to foot in postures that get you more power for lower effort. That might not constitute a full "rebuild" as much as just get parts where the need to be to get more bang for your buck.

For starters, I'd be curious to see what happens just if you try to get your leading shoulder lower than your rear shoulder in the reachback like the door frame drill in the 3rd video above. Usually people are surprised at how much more power is available there from that change alone. The other videos will help your movement overall if practiced over a long period of time.

1694636780332.png

Seems to depend on the player.

In your case, I can tell you have spent time on your form, but because the mechanics are built around the flat swing plant it's leaving a lot on the table.

If I were asked to bet, my best guess is that you might want to approach it more about changing how you balance and get from foot to foot in postures that get you more power for lower effort. That might not constitute a full "rebuild" as much as just get parts where the need to be to get more bang for your buck.

For starters, I'd be curious to see what happens just if you try to get your leading shoulder lower than your rear shoulder in the reachback like the door frame drill in the 3rd video above. Usually people are surprised at how much more power is available there from that change alone. The other videos will help your movement overall if practiced over a long period of time.

View attachment 318321

Perfect, again. I'll work on some of this stuff and post back with a video in a few days. (Been little rainy lately, but that doesn't usually stop me from doing field work)

Perfect, again. I'll work on some of this stuff and post back with a video in a few days. (Been little rainy lately, but that doesn't usually stop me from doing field work)
I have another quick question. So my wife knowing I've taken such a huge interest in disc golf got me one of those resistance band disc things. I'm not sure if I can do anything useful with it or if it'll just cause bad habits. Anything useful I can do with this thing?

I have another quick question. So my wife knowing I've taken such a huge interest in disc golf got me one of those resistance band disc things. I'm not sure if I can do anything useful with it or if it'll just cause bad habits. Anything useful I can do with this thing?
Imo they can help if used well, can hurt if not. Link?

Seabas/sidewinder has a few Resistance band drill concepts in his power pocket and door frame drill videos. I changed a lot of my training habits from barbell lifts to resistance band exercises and drills and they have definitely help change how I move.

Imo they can help if used well, can hurt if not. Link?

Seabas/sidewinder has a few Resistance band drill concepts in his power pocket and door frame drill videos. I changed a lot of my training habits from barbell lifts to resistance band exercises and drills and they have definitely help change how I move.
Pro Pull Resistance Trainer for Disc Golf | Increase Strength in Your Pull Through | Gain Extra Distance | Disc Shaped Grip. https://a.co/d/iMSa6co

This thing has like philo and others behind it saying it works for this and that. So I can see why my wife was interested in it but it's just resistance bands attached to a 'disc'.

Pro Pull Resistance Trainer for Disc Golf | Increase Strength in Your Pull Through | Gain Extra Distance | Disc Shaped Grip. Amazon.com

This thing has like philo and others behind it saying it works for this and that. So I can see why my wife was interested in it but it's just resistance bands attached to a 'disc'.
Yeah, I had tried that one. I tend to think all tools have their uses. I think that one helps work on things coming out of the backswing, and you can do it in context of door frame drill with or without releasing.

Just be careful with the "flat" concept. Even if you are working on a flatter swing plane, you want to make sure your body isn't all flat e.g as discussed above - let that shoulder/core/lat muscle load up!

Your front knee is collapsing/leaking forward while your trailside and upper body get stuck back.

Note how SImon braces up the front knee and swings over it with trailside unweighted. Also note how his trail arm/palm are turned in and extended(swimming) while your palm is turned out and arm has slack(drowning/dragging).

Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 1.33.32 AM.png

Your front knee is collapsing/leaking forward while your trailside and upper body get stuck back.

Note how SImon braces up the front knee and swings over it with trailside unweighted. Also note how his trail arm/palm are turned in and extended(swimming) while your palm is turned out and arm has slack(drowning/dragging).

View attachment 318394
Damn dude, your far more helpful then any of the YouTube coaches I've been watching. They charge an arm and a leg for a form examination. Very much appreciate it and I'll be going out to work on some stuff this morning. Mostly the coil/shoulder situation.

Damn dude, your far more helpful then any of the YouTube coaches I've been watching. They charge an arm and a leg for a form examination. Very much appreciate it and I'll be going out to work on some stuff this morning. Mostly the coil/shoulder situation.
If you start with the shoulder + coil, you should be able to focus on landing/resisting at the knee when you plant like Sidewinder is mentioning there. Build up new potential power, then don't leak it!

Give it at least a couple weeks, it'll feel totally different. Take it slow at first.

If you start with the shoulder + coil, you should be able to focus on landing/resisting at the knee when you plant like Sidewinder is mentioning there. Build up new potential power, then don't leak it!

Give it at least a couple weeks, it'll feel totally different. Take it slow at first.
Today Day 1: tried coiling with back shoulder higher then throw shoulder. Discs went skyward but could definitely feel something. Also tried leading with my mAss and pouring the kettle to get the disc lower and not 20ft in the air. Felt good but will need time to get consistent and aim.

I'll do it for a week and post a new video.

Last edited:
Today Day 1: tried coiling with back shoulder higher then throw shoulder. Discs went skyward but could definitely feel something. Also tried leading with my mAss and pouring the kettle to get the disc lower and not 20ft in the air. Felt good but will need time to get consistent and aim well was no aim.

I'll do it for a week and post a new video.
When I started to learn from Sidewinder, since a lot of his concepts draw from using gravity, it was common for discs to spray high before I could bring the trajectories lower. The idea is that you want to gain that "free" power with gravity and momentum and rein it in. Don't worry about aim at first other than having a general safe trajectory (I'm going to take your 490' remark literally for now ;-))

When I started to learn from Sidewinder, since a lot of his concepts draw from using gravity, it was common for discs to spray high before I could bring the trajectories lower. The idea is that you want to gain that "free" power with gravity and momentum and rein it in. Don't worry about aim at first other than having a general safe trajectory (I'm going to take your 490' remark literally for now ;-))
Yeah, throwing them that high and stalling out they're going as far as previously, so that feels pretty good. One thing that has always kinda stumbled me up was the 10o'clock hit point. Maybe as I keep doing this I'll see the release a little more counter clock of the 12/1o'clock release point.. but I have plenty to work on before worrying about release point.

Yeah, throwing them that high and stalling out they're going as far as previously, so that feels pretty good. One thing that has always kinda stumbled me up was the 10o'clock hit point. Maybe as I keep doing this I'll see the release a little more counter clock of the 12/1o'clock release point.. but I have plenty to work on before worrying about release point.

For 10 o'clock point I always had the most success physically hitting things with hammers and discs to feel the "impact" of the release and how things are supposed to be spaced related to one another. (3:54) here:

Sidewinder will use the same concepts in Slash Thru and hammer drills, which is basically what I took from him but just added hitting my heavy bag (I think my martial arts background made striking heavy things with heavy hammers get through to me faster before applying it to throwing, everyone's different):

That's the issues I feel like I'm having. When you hit something it physically stops your hand, when you do like the doorframe drill you have something holding you to feel the pressures. But I think I'm getting the hang of it. Just outside of my realm. I watched the overthrow EP with you about feel coaching and 'mechanical' coaching. I thought I'd be more of a mechanical person but I think I'm somewhere in between.

It's boring but true advice - try to attack one main problem at a time until it's fixed and automatic.

Need to "feel" where the slash through/release point is relative to your body.

Need to "feel" the shift, stretch, and drop against the frame. Get loose and bouncy and athletic and don't freeze up.

Need to "real" all the reasons stuff is broken, including the things that block the above from happening :)

Latest posts