• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] KATANA vs. NUKE

What new disc is better?

• KATANA

Votes: 46 43.0%
  • NUKE

Votes: 61 57.0%

• Total voters
I would like to know that as well, I have limited throws with both. I have borrowed both and thrown them just a couple of times each. The ones I have thrown were really flippy, both the nuke and katana, so with practice I could probably bomb them both on a hyzer flip.

Edit: I could see where the plastic choice and run of them could make a big difference, so you would probably have to mention that. The nuke I threw was production run ESP and the katana was a pro worlds stamped Star.

Last edited:
I figure there has to be some dgers who have thrown both. I wouldn't mind trying them out but I'sd like to see which one is the favorite.

I've never thrown a Katana, but I've thrown a Nuke and a Boss, and I can tell you that my arm has no business chucking either of those pieces of plastic yet.

I can get decent distance with a Nuke if thrown with a bit of anny, otherwise it just tips right over on me.

I like the Boss and the Surge for drives. Wouldn't mind trying out a new driver but it does seem like most the people throwing Boss' shouldn't be yet.

Katana is more flippy at high speeds

Katana turns a little sharper, like a sharper Boss

Nuke is like a sharper Surge.

uhhhh, just choose one, really...both good.

so ill say nuke, cuz i like the name and discraft.
but really, katana is sweet too so...whatever

I feel like I have seen this thread somewhere before, just not with the awesome poll.

I now officially own both of these discs. I love my NUKEs. I need to get one of those Z NUKEs to be honest though. From what I have seen and felt, the NUKEs are easier to control, especially into wind or at high speeds. Enough said.

I have thrown both. They are not for me...yet. I liked the Nuke a bit better. It was just a little easier for me to throw straight.

I prefer the Nuke as it has a little more stability. The Katana gets an edge being in multiple plastics. Haven't thrown a z Nuke yet, but it'll probably be significantly more stable and have no glide. ESP Nukes fly like faster Orcs to me which = $$$. Just try them both and pick one, they aren't that different.

Nuke for big arms, Katana for not so big arms.

No vote, because they are just too different.

Katana for RHBH shots, Nuke for RHFH shots---personal preference

ive tried just about all of them.

the pro katanas are crazy flippy. borderline unthrowable for me.

the older CFR star katanas are the money. hyzer flip these things and they go for days. a bit touchy though.

the CFR champ katanas have become my go-to long drive in a headwind disc. like a longer boss but with more glide.

the first run star katanas are a LOT more overstable than their CFR counterparts. gotta really torque those puppies to get them to flip flat. again, a lot like a boss.

the first run esp nukes are crap. hit one tree with them and watch them crumple and flake into obscurity.

the Z nukes on the other hand...i picked up a 171 and its pretty durn flippy, but with a nice, predictible fade. great for s curves and looooong rollers. i really dig the z nuke.

The problem with this poll is that the Star Katana is so different from the Champ and Pro Katanas that they are completely different discs that have to be thrown completely different to get the near same results. I have not touched my Pro Katanas in a month, I can get a more consistent and soft turn out of the Star so I kicked the Champ out of the bag and replaced it with a Monarch (the same shot but for a shorter distance). Plus, I know the Star will finally fight back at the end of the turn, aiding in landing flat or correcting itself in case it turned too far right.

The same problem exists with the Nuke. The ESP is so completely different than the Z except if you are talking about the slightest tailwind. The ESP is too unpredictable in a headwind. While it probably is a good hyzer flipping disc, I am not good or consistent with that shot, meaning that to throw relatively flat, I do have to back off a little (although I still get great distance with it). If it does flip, it is going straight into the ground. The Z Nuke however has more HSS and LSS, meaning that it is far more versitile. It fights a headwind better. Finally, it can handle all the power I got and as long as I get a clean release, it will always fight back at the end. Plus, the Z Nuke is the first forehand disc I have been able to get to go more than 300 feet accurately (my forehand is almost as bad as my hyzer flipping).

So, I carry both the Star Katana and Z Nuke in my bag and they can cover all of my maximum distance shots.

Once again Apoth comes on here with his "flippy" Z Nuke............maybe you should try another one because it would seem that you got a "special" one.

if i toss it at about 80% power with a release angle at 8 o'clock (RHBH). it flips to 11 o'clock before locking in and then flexes and, with proper height, fades in at the end.

you wouldnt consider that a disc with a significant amount of turn?:\

Latest posts