• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My turn~

Could always find a Eagle-L to toss in with an X mold like you probably have.

I think one of the reasons I quit on Eagles was I didn't like how Ls were stamped the same as Eagle Xs. Like shopping online at most places it's kinda a crapshoot whether you get an X or an L. Some places split them up.

But yeah. I like DX ones to beat up anyway.

No field work today. Maybe. Sudden rainstorm started right after work.

So I did end up field throwing.

I had a bunch of discs, but in the end it was between my Eagles and the River. I brought all of the Eagles.

On the Eagles: The orange DX is more os than my whites, and the champ isn't quite as bricky as I remember. Still a beefcake though. I honestly could probably cover all of my fairway shots with them but...

I'm liking the River. This particular one is very much like a longer Comet. Glides alot. Holds any line barring outside influence (wind/oat/etc.) I think I dropped them for XLs because I thought the River was finicky. Well, so are Comets. Anyway. I think I'll go back to having a four disc bag for now.

But I'm going old school. Like, before this thread existed old school. I honestly can't remember what midranges I threw, so I'm sticking with the Comet. I know I threw Mercies and Omega SS. I don't have the Omega any more, so Mercy it is. The River was my first fairway after a brief stint with Gazelles. And the Banshee was one of my first discs. Though this isn't my OG Banshee l:

For curious people, the first disc I bought for myself was a DX Wraith. It's currently in a lake. Then I ordered a DX Gazelle, DX Stingray, and an R-Pro Polecat from DiscNation. The Gazelle is in some brush. And theeeen I got a Champ Banshee. The disc I miss the most :( I still had it in the first post of this thread...

Anyway. Enough memories.

Opto River
Champ Banshee
X Comet
Eze Mercy

Last edited:
So I actually got out to play a round with that bag.

Champ Banshee: I really can't figure out why I thought this was a dud all those years ago. Flies like one of my fresh, domey Vipers, without the dome or as much glide. I'll blame it on the fact that I had just lost my favorite disc and it wasn't exactly the same.

Flies good. Nice and os.

Comet: It's a Comet. It's still the same.

Mercy: I didn't really throw this one, besides putts. But it feels amazing. I guess five years on a shelf was good for it? Velvety. I remember it feeling cheap plasticy. Not any more. I'll have to get another for throwing, this one is in OOP plastic.

And the River: Weird. It really is a Comet driver. If I throw well, it'll hold any angle and glide forever. Like, I wouldn't need another driver except for wind and trick shots. And OAT. Doesn't like OAT.

I keep trying to think of things to add, but the River can do anything. Same with the Comet. Maybe a Suspect. Maybe something to "rip" on out in the open. You know, to really let all the oats out.

So I just need to think of one more disc to add to fill the Slim Jim.

Eze Mercy
X Comet
River
Banshee

To add:
Suspect
Extra Mercy
Something to rip on
???

I went back to XLs. I just can't resist them. I still can cover the lines I had with the ones I lost. I probably won't stop throwing them until they no longer exist.

I don't like putting with Mercies. I don't know why. I love how my EZE Mercy feels, but meh. Maybe I'll go back to Voodoos. Maybe Shields. Maybe something random. I dunno.

I like having the Banshee. I might like Vipers more, but it's nice having one disc to cover my OS stuff and not having to worry about it getting beaten up.

Maybe I'll try the Reef again.

Losing a main driver can be such a frustrating experience. I lost a Champ TeeBird I'd been throwing for three years. I tried so many other TeeBirds and I never found a replacement. Honestly I kinda stepped away from the game for a while after that happened. Recently, when I've lost main drivers I've been better prepared with backups. This year I used it as fuel for my fire. I wouldn't stray from the XLs. Go right back to them and hit it hard!

Losing a main driver can be such a frustrating experience. I lost a Champ TeeBird I'd been throwing for three years. I tried so many other TeeBirds and I never found a replacement. Honestly I kinda stepped away from the game for a while after that happened. Recently, when I've lost main drivers I've been better prepared with backups. This year I used it as fuel for my fire. I wouldn't stray from the XLs. Go right back to them and hit it hard!

Well, the main reason I keep thinking about other drivers is XLs are discontinued. They're still easy to find, but they won't always be easy to find. Maybe.

In other news: I've been putting with Magnets. I got a Ledgestone CT one, it feels kinda like KC Pro.

I haven't been playing much, it's hot and I'm not motivated when it's hot. You can also blame the army lolol.

I apologize if this has been mentioned, as I imagine it has to have been over 31 pages and with anyone mentioning the River... BUT. Have you checked out an FD as an alternative to the River? Less finicky, still goes far, and even more so than the river you could get away with mostly just throwing them as your only driver mold. For example, I found out that I'm satisfied FHing a domeyish CFD as one (several) clicks down from my thunderbirds. Then on the other side of the spectrum, I'm beating in a DFD for rollers.

I apologize if this has been mentioned, as I imagine it has to have been over 31 pages and with anyone mentioning the River... BUT. Have you checked out an FD as an alternative to the River? Less finicky, still goes far, and even more so than the river you could get away with mostly just throwing them as your only driver mold. For example, I found out that I'm satisfied FHing a domeyish CFD as one (several) clicks down from my thunderbirds. Then on the other side of the spectrum, I'm beating in a DFD for rollers.

I think it was mentioned when Discraft first discontinued the XL. It's probably worth a shot, though I think I'd try the JLS first. Mainly for the reason that I've thrown one before and know I like it.

But I think I'm going to stock up on XLs pretty soon. I always end up going back to them, so I might as well get a bunch while the getting is still good.

I could make a new thread since I haven't posted here in two years, but I've gone to like, 7th longest thread in the bag forum, we can't have that.

Also not sure why I'm posting now since I won't be able to play for like, three months.

Anyway. I'll probably go back to no distance drivers, since I didn't really throw them. The Boatman was fun, but not really necessary.

Main driver will be the XL. I keep waffling back and forth on "This is my favorite disc" and "This disc is OOP, I don't want to use this". But I have a few left, provided I don't lose any. (though last time I said that I immediately lost two in one round) Xs are my favorite, and they're the most in stock online so... Yeah.

Overstable driver will probably be Vipers, though I have heard good things about the new EXPs. The Vipers are beefy, glidy, and I really enjoy the hand feel, but they're large and mostly domey so hard to use well in a headwind. EXP would be more like my ol' reliable Banshee. Although, my old beat in Viper is an amazing flex distance disc. Hmmm.

Mid is X Comets. Yep. The only other real option would be Fugitives, which I like a tiny bit more, but the OOP factor lowers their score a bit.

Other mid is Suspects. They good. Nice overstable Biofuzion, and a beefy Classic Soft.

And then the vicious cycle that is my putters. Magnets, Shields, or Voodoos. Who knows what'll happen? Mystery. Plus the utility 160g 1/10 R-Pro Polecat.

A bag update without playing at all? Such is the fate of an internet disc golfer. Yeah, I can throw 500 feet. (we won't talk about how many throws it takes to get there)

So anyway. I know, it's not hard to find XLs or Avengers at the moment. But they will be some day. So I'm going to continue throwing them, but when I lose them I'm going to replace them with something else. Seems like an okay way to phase them in. The discs in mind at the moment are the JLS and the OLF. Hooray for letters.

So.

Avengers- I have one new, max weight, beefy X and an old beat in 165g X in the bag. One for reliable control driver/OS fairway duties, one for max distance or dumb shots. I have a beefier Z if I find I need something meathookier, but meh.

XLs- I have a beefy Z, a more standard Z, and an ESP that's worn into about a slightly beat X. The beefy Z is about a Teebird flight for me, with the other Z having a slight turn and more fade, and the esp coming back to center on a controlled, flat throw.

Warriors- The Vipers only rival. Not as glidy or overstable as a Viper, but still nice. Also a particularly nice run of S. I'd like to say the white one is somewhat worn in, but it really hasn't changed much. Also have an ace with it. The yellow one is Diamond plastic maybe? There's a d on the back by the weight. Anyway, it has the same plh and dome as my S ones so I assume it throws like a fresh warrior. Not sure I've ever actually thrown it honestly.

Comets- They're comets. Yup. Glow Z is pretty much just a backup.

Shields- The putter flavor of the day. Reasonably stable, not too glidy. Nice. I like the mediums. A normal medium and a trilogy challenge one.

The mighty Polecat- R-Pro, like 160 grams, 1/10 condition. Used for everything tricky/close range/turning. It's magical. I thought about trying a Beetle because beetles are cool, but meh.

Check again next week for another no play update.

Attachments

• 20200229_181459.jpg
    20200229_181459.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 9
If you are looking for a way to transition away from the XL, the Undertow is very similar. You can get the SP line and the Proline to cover your stable to understable disc.

The Anax is a fairly similar to old Avenger's, but the Tsunami is very close too. Both have the ending bite of a fresh Z Avenger.

If you are looking for a way to transition away from the XL, the Undertow is very similar. You can get the SP line and the Proline to cover your stable to understable disc.

The Anax is a fairly similar to old Avenger's, but the Tsunami is very close too. Both have the ending bite of a fresh Z Avenger.

I mean, the flight path looks similar, but the Undertow has a 2.1 cm rim going from the 1.7 on the XL. That's a bit of a jump. Maybe you were thinking of the Pipeline?

I wanted to get a tsunami a while ago, but never got around to it. I'll probably look into that.

Last edited:
Good to see you back Buiscut :hfive:

I highly recommend the TL3

Good to see you back Buiscut :hfive:

I highly recommend the TL3

Thanks.

Unless things have changed in the last few years, I remember TLs being really straight. I like my discs a little more curvy if you know what I mean

Thanks.

Unless things have changed in the last few years, I remember TLs being really straight. I like my discs a little more curvy if you know what I mean

I guess I can offer my unsolicited feedback! I think the Undertaker could fill this role. Like the XL, it is an overall straight flying disc, but it can have a little wiggle. Comfy in the hand, too. I enjoy it (so everyone else better...)!

Cheers!

I guess I can offer my unsolicited feedback! I think the Undertaker could fill this role. Like the XL, it is an overall straight flying disc, but it can have a little wiggle. Comfy in the hand, too. I enjoy it (so everyone else better...)!

Cheers!

I might have to try the Undertaker. To be honest the only reason I didn't try it when it came out is I don't like the zombie boy on the stamp. But it does come in X which is my favorite plastic. Hmmmm....

New idea, maybe I'll try the infinite discs Exodus. It sounds like it's between an Eagle X and L, which sounds about right for me. Maybe a champ Exodus won't be a brick like my Champ Eagle is. Also it comes in pro-ish plastic so I can cycle them. DX Eagles were nice, but the chunking was not.

Also might have to pick up a Scarab or two, just because beetles are cool. It's always never a bad time to try new putters.

Latest posts