• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Explorer

So... I was intrigued by the explorer but it wasn't a priority to try. However, today the guy that runs my local course had a bunch of tournament stamped discs for $5 and I happened across a 158 Opto air from BG Ams. I usually throw max weight but it was good enough looking and felt nice enough that I gave it a shot.

In the hand, it's a Teebird. Not a T3 for sure, but the feel is good. And at first it made me think of my first 165 DX Teebird when it was new.

It holds power fairly well, and gosh, I was impressed.

The flight has slight turn and a very mild fade, and though you can manipulate it some, it does the straight to mild fade thing very well.

I don't know if I'll bag it full time, but it will likely get a trip in my travel bag to see how I like it.

My friend who has a lot less power as able to throw it flat and straight about 250 easily, which is good for him. May end up in his bag when I done messing with it.

Really good addition from Lat64. Even if all they did was copy the Teebird lol.

I've noticed that a lot of people who don't throw over 300' like the Explorer. If, and only if, I was sponsored would the Explorer be my fairway driver. I did almost ace the only throw I've had with one, but its a hole I usually throw a KC Roc on. For some reason, Champ feels better than Opto to me.

Anyone know how the Explorer and River Pro compare? I'm just curious as the one River Pro I threw was an absolute beefcake, even after I deflashed it and beat it up.

had a thought to compare the saint pro to explorer. had a funny feeling their was a relationship btw the two.

a few throws and some careful observation has led me to believe the explorer is based off the st. pro.

dd explorer=lat 64 saint pro

had a thought to compare the saint pro to explorer. had a funny feeling their was a relationship btw the two.

a few throws and some careful observation has led me to believe the explorer is based off the st. pro.

Explorer is also lat64...

I've noticed that a lot of people who don't throw over 300' like the Explorer. If, and only if, I was sponsored would the Explorer be my fairway driver. I did almost ace the only throw I've had with one, but its a hole I usually throw a KC Roc on. For some reason, Champ feels better than Opto to me.

Anyone know how the Explorer and River Pro compare? I'm just curious as the one River Pro I threw was an absolute beefcake, even after I deflashed it and beat it up.

My TC river pro is super beefy, pretty solid hss. And a ton of lss. Not really comparable to to an explorer

On our family vacation to the Grand Canyon, I stopped in Emporia. While I did not have time to play more than just a few holes at Jones East, I was able to stop in the Dynamic store. For whatever reason, I decided to give the Opto Explorer another shot. I guess the only reason why is that in the last month I have really stretched out and became comfortable throwing the EMac Truth for distance. It had taken many shots from my Gazelle and TeeBird3, so I know I can temporarily take them out of the bag if I give them Explorer another try.

The last Explorers I threw were the Burst SE, and they were glideless pigs, coming up well short of my TeeBird3 despite being thrown at power. However, I am going to give the Optos a try to see if I get better results.

This morning I was able to sneak out of the motel room while the family was sleeping in and played a course in Amarillo. Every shot I made with the Explorer seemed underpowered, like the disc was somehow preventing me from generating full power. I cannot explain it. However, it was always hitting my line, which in the end is more important than raw distance. I wish I could have stretched them out farther, and yet, because of the accuracy, I actually parked numerous holes.

The real test will be when I get home and can compare them against the rest of my lineup, but for now, if I get out anymore this vacation, all I have with me is my Soft Dagger, Gold Line Pure, Star Ontario Roc, Bio EMac Truth, Lucid EMac Truth, Burst Judge, Fuji, Lucid Explorer, and a Gold Line Villain.

Aren't the rim widths different?

My options saint pros are starting to turn n burn on me. Is an explorer going to maybe hold a straighter line and finish left? I can get saint pros to about 350-360

I compared them during the winter, same landing zone but with less turn and fade for the SE explorer, the Opto (domey) compares to the stable pearly pop-top Saint pro.

On our family vacation to the Grand Canyon, I stopped in Emporia. While I did not have time to play more than just a few holes at Jones East, I was able to stop in the Dynamic store. For whatever reason, I decided to give the Opto Explorer another shot. I guess the only reason why is that in the last month I have really stretched out and became comfortable throwing the EMac Truth for distance. It had taken many shots from my Gazelle and TeeBird3, so I know I can temporarily take them out of the bag if I give them Explorer another try.

The last Explorers I threw were the Burst SE, and they were glideless pigs, coming up well short of my TeeBird3 despite being thrown at power. However, I am going to give the Optos a try to see if I get better results.

This morning I was able to sneak out of the motel room while the family was sleeping in and played a course in Amarillo. Every shot I made with the Explorer seemed underpowered, like the disc was somehow preventing me from generating full power. I cannot explain it. However, it was always hitting my line, which in the end is more important than raw distance. I wish I could have stretched them out farther, and yet, because of the accuracy, I actually parked numerous holes.

The real test will be when I get home and can compare them against the rest of my lineup, but for now, if I get out anymore this vacation, all I have with me is my Soft Dagger, Gold Line Pure, Star Ontario Roc, Bio EMac Truth, Lucid EMac Truth, Burst Judge, Fuji, Lucid Explorer, and a Gold Line Villain.

Now I'm curious! I'm in love with the SE due to their superior glide... :D
Could this be because I only throw them around 320' and the Opto simply is slightly too stable for me to hyzerflip? I bet a beat Opto outsails everything though. Not bitter I forgot both my FR and my Prototype on the course.........

I compared them during the winter, same landing zone but with less turn and fade for the SE explorer, the Opto (domey) compares to the stable pearly pop-top Saint pro.

Now I'm curious! I'm in love with the SE due to their superior glide... :D
Could this be because I only throw them around 320' and the Opto simply is slightly too stable for me to hyzerflip? I bet a beat Opto outsails everything though. Not bitter I forgot both my FR and my Prototype on the course.........

I was on a family vacation with one of my stops being at the Emporia store. From there I stopped for rounds at Amarillo, Albuquerque, and Colorado Springs. All three of those courses are completely different from what I play in Minnesota because of the different elevation, heat, lack of humidity, etc, etc. In Minnesota, at my power level (380-420 max distance), most discs fly true to their numbers.

I had two SE Burst Explorers from when they first came out. I really put them through their paces at my local 9, so I knew exactly what I wanted out of them and how they would compare to the other discs in my bag. Those Explorers were often on target but routinely came up short of my GStar TeeBird3s. I would have to give them more power in comparison to the T3 to get similar results. I could only attribute that to a lack of glide in comparison, and T3s are not known for their glide. These SE were seasoned, after hitting numerous trees and such, so it is not a matter of being fresh. I also had three Optos, but I was saving them in case I did not like the Explorer, and since I did not like the SE, I traded away the Opto without giving them a chance.

When I was at the Emporia store, I saw two Opto Explorers that were discounted because of double stamps. I decided to give them another try. I am a color snob when it comes to my tournament bag. I wanted all white, but Innova/Discmania almost never releases GStar or Champion in white, so I go with all yellow for my bag. I am not as particular, usually going with blaze orange, for my everyday practice bag. I seasoned in my practice orange T3 to near perfection, so recently I have been bagging my tournament T3 in the everyday bag to get that to that same perfection. However, short of purposely damaging that specific T3, I cannot get it out of its meathook phase. Hence the reason for giving the Opto Explorer another try (because it comes in white).

After three rounds, I can confidently say that my Optos are not that different from the SE that I threw. They were accurate, got the job done (securing a minimum of par), but again lacked glide and had a harsh but quick dumping fade. I had to power them up to get anything out of them. And even then, it is difficult to explain, but I felt like I was never getting power behind them. I felt like I could get so much more power and snap, but every throw FELT like I was only throwing at 60 or 70 power despite trying to throw hard. I am not sure whether it was because of the different climate than what I am use to do. While I was not playing the most difficult courses out there (preferring the 18s closest to my hotel), I finished my vacation having played all those courses under par, so I know I was playing well enough to judge how these discs were flying. Still, I am estimating I could get them out to 340-350 accurately. Unfortunately on this road trip, these Explorers were the only drivers I had with me. If I would have had my Trespasses or Enforcers with me, I would have had a better judge of how far they were getting against my expectations.

I am home now, so I will give them more of a workout against what I know what I can do and what I normally throw in situations that I have prior experiences with.

Explorer is also lat64...

No - only Lat 64 :)

Let's get this straight - Lat 64 IS Trilogy. Maybe if DD starts molding their own, this will change. But If you praise DD in any way, a lot of that credit is due to Lat 64 for making the actual discs.

Last edited:
Ok, so if I want an Explorer that flies more like 7/5/-0.5/1.25 (I know psycho accurate, right?) which plastic and weight should I look? - I am almost about to revisit the Discraft Stalker as I remember liking that disc a lot

I'm really sorry, summer came to Sweden in May for the first time in almost 100 years so i've been on the course... :D

I found this video today, slightly better quality then the ones i made and posted here earlier.
EDIT:
It didnt work with the timeline-link so just hop to 4:15. :)

The SE (which should be sold out) gets there rather quick, even in max weight. I tried a 168g Opto and it did fly very similar, i really recommend you to give it a go.

Ok, so if I want an Explorer that flies more like 7/5/-0.5/1.25 (I know psycho accurate, right?) which plastic and weight should I look? - I am almost about to revisit the Discraft Stalker as I remember liking that disc a lot

My Dye Stalker flyes like 7/5/-0.5/1.25. . .but after i tryed the Drew G Luster leo3 i droped the Explorer and the Stalker from my bag. . a G-star leo3 and a Drew Leo3 have all my 7speed covered. . .

The ESP Undertalker is another nice disc. . i would say it´s a 7,5/5/-0.5/1.75

Sockibomb Opto-x Explorer announced for this summer!
I got confirmed from Latitude that it'll be less domey but slightly more stable than Opto.

Sounds like the perfect Explorer for headwinds, big arms or to beat in...

Missed edit time but Wow... My beat up SE Explorer is seriously improving my game.

It flies so straight I would compare it to a River with less turn (often none). The other day I parked one of the scarier holes (can't wait to see the pros pipe one down there!) on Ale yellow hole 6, 297' straight down a tunnel with the basket a few feet to the right of center. Hyzerflip to straight is my go-to shot and this disc is what I've been looking for in the Saint pro, Rival and Teebird.

Missed edit time but Wow... My beat up SE Explorer is seriously improving my game.

It flies so straight I would compare it to a River with less turn (often none). The other day I parked one of the scarier holes (can't wait to see the pros pipe one down there!) on Ale yellow hole 6, 297' straight down a tunnel with the basket a few feet to the right of center. Hyzerflip to straight is my go-to shot and this disc is what I've been looking for in the Saint pro, Rival and Teebird.

My beat SE Explorer is my go-to right now. I actually got an ace with it a couple of weeks ago on a 330' Hole that starts straight and ends left. I released it on a hyzer and it stood up to almost flat, then gently faded at the perfect time. I recently snagged another one ad a backup.

My Dye Stalker flyes like 7/5/-0.5/1.25. . .but after i tryed the Drew G Luster leo3 i droped the Explorer and the Stalker from my bag. . a G-star leo3 and a Drew Leo3 have all my 7speed covered. . .

The ESP Undertalker is another nice disc. . i would say it´s a 7,5/5/-0.5/1.75

What are the numbers on your Drew Leo3? I kinda want an Explorer to try, but Thunderbirds, Teebirds, and Rocs cover most of my shots in the 280'-350' range, where I'd probably be using the Explorer.

A brand new Drew Leo3 thrown at 80m i would say is 7/5/0/1. .will probably break in to more like 7/5/-1/1

A friend that throws 420feet max tested my Drew Leo3 and throw it 300feet..it was a very slight hyser release and it Flew very straight
But the Explorer is more stable then the Drew Leo3 but not that much more

Alright. I have had my Opto Explorers for over a week now with some pretty extensive testing. I still stand behind my initial observation that they do not have the glide of my TeeBirds or T3s, but somehow they are deceptively long if you can lay into them. The SEs I had were routinely short of my T3s, but these Optos, while still needing more power, can get just as far as anything I am throwing.

The one thing that has me convinced is that they are consistently on target. The key, again, seems to be throwing them at power. They are crazy overstable if I power down them, but once I get behind them, they are straight from start to finish. That speaks a lot to its HSS. That is going to be something I will need to watch. I could stand to maybe lose a little HSS, but if their role is to have a straight flight, I would prefer to lose LSS, not HSS.

For now, they are in the bag, and I pulled out my T3s and G-PDs.