• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good D, Bad Aim

peppermack

Double Eagle Member
I have just recently switched from going for my max distance shots from FH to BH. My FH had stalled out at 400-425', so I decided to let it rip BH on the long holes and see what happened. I have been playing for a year and a half and only started this summer to try and develop a longer BH game. Well I got up there on the first long hole, gave it hell BH and got it out to about 435 or so, longer than any FH shot I had ever made. The only problem is I have very little control most of the time where it goes. I am throwing max weight star wraiths and destroyers. The wraith and destroyer, even a xcaliber will go way right, but then fade back left. The Wraith and Destroyer do a nice s curve but I have little control over where on the field it is happening. JR suggested putting a little hyzer on it to fight that going way right problem. I do not think i is an OAT problem, but I suppose it is possible. It does seem to come out better when I concentrate on palm down during the follow through, I have been trying to keep the nose down, and getting good snap. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions. There are a few hole where the discs really go nuts because they are always into the wind and have road and water hazards where throwing the disc right ends in a lost dis for those disc divers that have been talked to death about in another tread. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1. prepare to get frustrated

2. take a stack of Rocs and try to throw them into a headwind without turning them over.

3. You'll know you've worked out your OAT when you can throw a roc pretty hard into a 15mph headwind and it doesn't flutter and go right.

I want to do this drill myself, but there's been no wind around here lately.

This most likely is an OAT problem. When you try to throw way to hard OAT tends to come into play more often if not all the time. Throwing to hard = throwing your body off balance and when your body is off balance OAT comes into play.

I've got to add (to what I said, not to what MB said) that every time you try to increase the power of your throws or try new form/technique you might have to fight with OAT some more. Sometimes it's from getting rusty, sometimes it just happens. What Roc meets wind practice will teach you is how to nail it down and correct it when it flares up again. It's one thing to know the theory, it's another to be able to use it practically.

Come on windy days, I need to take the lessons myself so I'm not just talking out of my ass here!

Well luckely there is never a shortage of wind here in Idhao Falls, ID. Well it seems that the agreement that it may be OAT so I will have to work it out then. If I am dropping my right shoulder too much as I pull through would this cause OAT. My guess is that you will both say yes. My head/chin is over my toes, with a slight drop in the shoulder because I am leaning a bit forward and believe I read in a different thread that the right shoulder should drop some as I pull through up to the point the disc rips ut of my hand. I will have to concentrate a little more on my form to see I I can diagnose what is going on. If I had a video camera I would get it on tape but sadly no soup there.

If your anhyzer shots (especially with putters and mids) cut roll (try to take off to the left) when they land, then chances are you are dropping your shoulder.

Legs need to be placed correctly to not lean to a different direction that you wanna throw to. Also arching lower back can tilt you the wrong way. The more power you use the more likely it is to twist to false directions. Arm can twist from shoulder socket to false direction and the elbow can move along with it. Each of these places with the wrist thang you already know can throw _you_ off.

"going way right" is OAT if the disc is turning/torquing over. But "going way right" can also be related to grip lock/spray issues if the disc is remaining flat but offline. My accuracy problems are spray related. I don't know which is more frustrating, OAT or spray.

I've found griplock and wild spray to be relatively easy to correct. I don't always remember to do it, but I can almost immediately tell what I did wrong.

My most common culprit that causes griplock is starting my pull too early. You have to wait until after you plant your foot to start your pull. For spray you just need to get your aiming figured out. Start with your off shoulder pointing in the direction you want to throw. Don't start with your chest pointing that way. If you do that and get consistant with your timing it's not difficult to get the disc to start off in the right direction.

banzai7 said:
"going way right" is OAT if the disc is turning/torquing over. But "going way right" can also be related to grip lock/spray issues if the disc is remaining flat but offline. My accuracy problems are spray related. I don't know which is more frustrating, OAT or spray.
Sometimes a grip lock is a good throw, you just weren't aligned properly. Make sure you are oriented correctly on the tee pad. ie. to throw hyzer start in the back left (for rh backhand) anhyer the opposite.

I Think that it may be a combination of OAT and spray issue....although I am starting back right and going to the front left of the tee pad. I will try the making sure that my plant foot is down before I start to pull through. I have been going through again all the OAT thread and this may be part of it too.....I am about to go and play so we will see if I can figure it out.....stack of roc's and a headwind here I come....we have 20-35 mph winds today so it should work.

peppermack said:
I Think that it may be a combination of OAT and spray issue....although I am starting back right and going to the front left of the tee pad. I will try the making sure that my plant foot is down before I start to pull through. I have been going through again all the OAT thread and this may be part of it too.....I am about to go and play so we will see if I can figure it out.....stack of roc's and a headwind here I come....we have 20-35 mph winds today so it should work.
You should only be using back right to front left to throw an anhyzer. This might be causing you to "come over" the disc and torque it over.

ahh....ok......I will try coming more straight on then and see what happens....they all come out like the are anhyzer so maybe that is a big part of it too.

Well.....I tried coming onto the tee pad, and and keeping my x step more straight on and it worked much better....my throws did not take off on me as much.....now if I could just keep the nose down more than 50% of the time I would be much more consistent. On a good throw I did get my teebird out to about 435' so there is hope....it had a great s-curve to it. Also after reading Blakes comments about disc weight I am throwing discs that are too heavy. I started out 100% FH thrower and because of that always had max weight disc. I have a destroyer coming that I just traded for that is 169g rather than 175 g so hopefully this will help the distance even more.

yah, keeping your body moving down the line you want the disc to fly on does wonders for accuracy.

if you need to hit a super tight gap the easiest way is to simply walk towards the gap after the throw.

Latest posts