• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

kevdiv48's bag

kevdiv48

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Thought I'd give this a whirl. Here we go:
Years playing/experience:*First played in 2002, played regularly starting 2006, seriously starting fall 2009
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous:*right
Throwing Style:*LHBH, RHFH and RHOH for utility, trick, out of trouble shots
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:*Challenger: 200/240'; Shark: 250/300'; Teebird: 310/350; Wraith 350/425
Sex:*M

Other sport proficiencies?:*Distance running, baseball

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:*I do feel like I have all shots covered. I also like that I have a relatively low amount amount of molds and that I just use a variety of plastics, weights and wear on each to achieve the desired shot. I also think I have too many neutral/slightly stable mids and that I need to pick one.
Specific areas of desired feedback:*Agree/ disagree with my disc selection. Any potential holes that you might see

Immediate and long-term goals:*Consistency, consistency, consistency. I am content with my current distance. I have hit all of the lines that I have wanted to at one point or another, but command of these shots is not present. After I get some consistency, I'll see about that 500 ft barrier.

Bag:
Distance Drivers:
Champ Wraith- Wind fighter, not a ton of glide, will not turn
Star Wraith- All out max distance. needs a ton of room to work
Pro Wraith- Big gliding annys or straight shots, versatile
DX Wraith- Long, sharp turning max distance

Fairways:
Glo Champ Firebird- absolute meathook. Can barely control it, but it will fade and skip no matter what
12x Champ Firebird- overhands, wind fighter. Very controllable
Totem Champ Teebird- Most stable Teebird. No turn, big fade
Glo Champ Teebird- Flippy for some reason. Might pull it.
12x Champ Teebird- workhorse bird. reliably stable. Can do it all
Star Teebird- Laser straight. no turn, little fade
Pro Teebird- Lots of glide, great grip. big S curves
DX Teebird- beat to sh!t. Will turn every time. Farthest bird I have

Mids:
Z Wasp- Wind fighter, fast, flat and stable
Champ Shark- Laser straight with a bit of fade. Reliable
Pro Shark- More glide, better grip and less stable than Champ. Seeing if it will stay in the bag
DX Roc- Laser straight at this point, just testing it out
X Buzzz- beat to poo. Turnover mid range driver

Putters:
Flx Challenger- majority of drives under 250
KC Aviar- stable drives and approaches
Yeti Aviar- straight/turnover short drives
DX Aviar PnA- approaches, short turnover drives

SS Warlock x2- in the circle putter and backup

Bag:
Distance Drivers:
DROP - Champ Wraith- Wind fighter, not a ton of glide, will not turn

Fairways:
DROP - Glo Champ Firebird- absolute meathook. Can barely control it, but it will fade and skip no matter what
DROP - Glo Champ Teebird- Flippy for some reason. Might pull it.
Pro Teebird- Lots of glide, great grip. big S curves
DROP - DX Teebird- beat to sh!t. Will turn every time. Farthest bird I have

Mids:
DROP - Champ Shark- Laser straight with a bit of fade. Reliable
DROP - Pro Shark- More glide, better grip and less stable than Champ. Seeing if it will stay in the bag
DROP - DX Roc- Laser straight at this point, just testing it out
X Buzzz- beat to poo. Turnover mid range driver

Putters:
Flx Challenger- majority of drives under 250
DROP - KC Aviar- stable drives and approaches
DROP - Yeti Aviar- straight/turnover short drives
DROP - DX Aviar PnA- approaches, short turnover drives

I like your bag, but you have some overlap.

I would suggest trying:
Pro Leopard in place of the beat DX teebird (more glide)
Z buzzz (or just use the champ shark)
fewer putter molds

just my own opinions/ideas

I like your bag, but you have some overlap.

I would suggest trying:
Pro Leopard in place of the beat DX teebird (more glide)
Z buzzz (or just use the champ shark)
fewer putter molds

just my own opinions/ideas

Thanks, never thrown the leopard before. Is it much shorter than a Teebird?

A Leopard is shorter than a Teebird, but not catastrophically so. You could also try a lighter GL River; I've never thrown one myself, but I've heard good things generally (my brother loves them), and it'll almost certainly be farther than a Leopard. Although, if a beat DX Teebird is working for you, I'm not sure you need to replace it; only drawback is having to season another one when the Teebird finally gets too beat.

I've tried Leopards on a few separate occasions, and I'm still consistently not a fan. Found two in the water last weekend, and spent some time throwing them last night: didn't click with me at all. But a lot of people love them, so I'm probably the anomaly here.

A Leopard is shorter than a Teebird, but not catastrophically so. You could also try a lighter GL River; I've never thrown one myself, but I've heard good things generally

I agree. either one of these would be a nice, glidey understable compliment to the teebirds

good recommendations Cyclone. nice job not going too crazy with molds kev. a friend of mine bought a few totem tees and he said it was almost as stable as a firebird, though the flashing was still on the disc during his trial. perhaps some overlap there. if you like your warlock for putting i think a wizard, Gi9 or medium, would compliment it nicely for tee shots as opposed to the challenger. also if for some reason you loose a warlock you could use your wizard with very similar results. but of course you need to play with what your confident with and that is most important.

I would say if you like the yeti get 2 or 3 and stay consistent.

I'd say I'm already pretty consistent. The challenger, KC and Yeti all feel pretty similar to me in hand, so I can throw the exact same way with each disc and they will go on a different line. Comes in handy for courses like ICC that are short but go left, right and straight.

good recommendations Cyclone. nice job not going too crazy with molds kev. a friend of mine bought a few totem tees and he said it was almost as stable as a firebird, though the flashing was still on the disc during his trial. perhaps some overlap there. if you like your warlock for putting i think a wizard, Gi9 or medium, would compliment it nicely for tee shots as opposed to the challenger. also if for some reason you loose a warlock you could use your wizard with very similar results. but of course you need to play with what your confident with and that is most important.

Thanks for the advice. I have tried the whole range of wizards from rock hard M to RFF and they didn't quite click. I drove with an SS wizard for a bit but it got gnarled up pretty quickly. I found the Flx challenger fly very similar, has great grip and is indestructible.

@Cyclone's drop list:

I'd leave the Wraith. I like to have a very stable version of my max D driver.

There has to be some overlap with your TBs, but if you like them, I don't see much reason to switch for a leo. I'd probably add another fresh DX TB and probably take out a star or pro.

@Cyclone's drop list:

I'd leave the Wraith. I like to have a very stable version of my max D driver.

There has to be some overlap with your TBs, but if you like them, I don't see much reason to switch for a leo. I'd probably add another fresh DX TB and probably take out a star or pro.

That is exactly my reasoning for having my Champ Wraith. I can throw all 4 at the same speed and angle and have varying flights for each for the desired shot.

I won't deny that there is some overlap with my TB's, but it is probably my favorite disc and can never seem to have enough of them. Realistically I could get by with my DX one for understable and my star or 12x for straight/ stable. Thanks for the input.

A couple updates. Dropped a few Teebirds. Still have a bunch of stable mids, but I like them all. Time will tell I guess. Really starting to like the KC Aviar for drives and the challenger has gotten borderline floppy on me resulting in OAT from my far from perfect form. Still rotating around my layup/ approach disc. I have a few beat DX aviars and a DX BB that all have worked well but not exactly stood out compared to one another.
Hoping the weather stays mild, I played a bunch last weekend and hope to get a couple of rounds in this weekend.

Distance Drivers:
Champ Orc- For the holes just out of Teebird range, less glide and easier to control than the Wraiths

Fairways:
Glo Champ Firebird- absolute meathook. Can barely control it, but it will fade and skip no matter what
DX Teebird- beat to sh!t. Will turn every time. Farthest bird I have

Mids:
C-MD2- Between Champ Shark and Wasp in stability, a little more range
Champ Shark- Laser straight with a bit of fade. Reliable
Pro Shark- More glide, better grip and less stable than Champ. Laser straight. Growing on me.
D Buzzz- beat to poo. Turnover mid range driver. Just got this, have yet to try it out. Lost my beat X Buzzz and hope this suffices.

Putters:
Flx Challenger- majority of drives under 250-See below
KC Aviar- stable drives- Really starting to like this, might drop the challenger
DX Aviar PnA- approaches, short turnover drives

A few changes. Been on a bit of a plastic buying binge and haven't been out playing as much because of the snow. Trying to minimize molds and stocked up on what I liked. Here we go:
Dropped the CMD2 and Flx Challenger. Just trying to see if I miss them that much.

Distance Drivers:

Fairways:
C-PD- 25-50 longer than my teebirds. Flies closer to an Eagle X in my opinion. Controlled distance.
P-PD- Longer-than-Teebird turnover shots.
Glo Champ Firebird- absolute meathook.

12x Champ Teebird- workhorse bird. reliably stable. Can do it all. Have a bunch of backups, usually carry 2 or 3 of these at a time.
DX Teebird- beat to sh!t. Will turn every time. Farthest bird I have.

Mids:
Champ Shark- Laser straight with a bit of fade. Reliable.
Pro Shark- More glide, better grip and less stable than Champ. Laser straight.
D Buzzz- beat to poo. Turnover mid range driver.

Putters:
D Zone- hyzer approaches and short range drives that need to go right.
KC Aviar- Straight and hyzer short range drives.
DX BB Aviar- straight to Hyzer approaches
DX Aviar PnA- touch shots and turnover approaches. Long range putter.

I've joined the Roc cult and am a huge fun. The only problem I am finding is that most seasoned Rocs are very versatile, and as a result could play 1 round with just a DX Roc, or bring 5 or 6 with and test them out. I have a stack and am constantly rotating varieties to see what works best.
I am also going to test out an SPD to fill my "longer Teebird" slot. I have a plus rim CPD and it is not nearly as consistent release wise as the normal rimmed P lines.

Distance Drivers:
Pro Wraith- The most stable Wraith I have ever thrown. Long hyzers and drives into the wind.
Star Wraith- All out max distance.

Fairways:
C-PD- 25-50 longer than my teebirds. Flies closer to an Eagle X in my opinion. Controlled distance. May be replaced with S-PD's.

12x Champ Teebird- workhorse bird. reliably stable. Can do it all. Have a bunch of backups, usually carry 2 or 3 of these at a time.
DX Teebird- Turnovers and wide tailwind bombs.
Champion Leopard- Controlled turnover shots. If powered down, it is the straightest flying fairway I have. More consistent than the DX Teebird.

Mids:
Flat Glo KC Pro Roc - Hyzers, less stable than Wasp
KC Pro Roc-Workhorse. Used more on holes where there's a potential for my DX to get really beat up.
DX Roc-Workhorse. Massive glide.
Flat Top DX Roc- Beat. Turnovers.

Putters:
DX BB Aviar- straight to Hyzer approaches
DX Aviar PnA- touch shots and turnover approaches, and short range sky anhyzers. Long range putter. Pancake overhands. All around short range utility.

Dropped a couple of Rocs, got an S-PD(Love!) and added an ESP Comet for turnovers.
I currently don't have a truly overstable max distance driver, but I don't feel like I need it. Thoughts?

Distance Drivers:
Pro Wraith- The most stable Wraith I have ever thrown. Long hyzers and drives into the wind.
Star Wraith- All out max distance.

Fairways:
S-PD- 25-50 longer than my teebirds. Flies closer to a longer Eagle X in my opinion. Controlled distance.
12x FAF Champ Firebird- overhands, wind fighter. Super stoopid stable.
12x Domey Champ Firebird- Controllable overstability. In between my Teebirds and PDs in distance. Straight with solid fade at the end.

12x Champ Teebird- workhorse bird. reliably stable. Can do it all.
DX Teebird- Turnovers and wide open tailwind bombs.
Champion Leopard- Controlled turnover shots. If powered down, it is the straightest flying fairway I have. More consistent than the DX Teebird.

Mids:
KC Pro Roc-Straight with less fade than Wasp
DX Roc-Workhorse. Massive glide.
ESP Comet- Turnovers

Putters:

Beat up KC Pro Aviar- straight to Hyzer approaches. Less stable than driver Aviar, but stable enough to fade on lower power approach shots.
DX Aviar PnA- touch shots and turnover approaches, and short range sky anhyzers. Long range putter. Pancake overhands. All around short range utility.

^^ really really like the setup.. could go out and play with this setup all day .. well i might not be able to get the wraiths up to speed but would still throw em lol .. but yeah with the S-Pd, Star Wraith and Firebirds looks like you dont really need a true overstable max d driver those should cover it just fine

^^ really really like the setup.. could go out and play with this setup all day .. well i might not be able to get the wraiths up to speed but would still throw em lol .. but yeah with the S-Pd, Star Wraith and Firebirds looks like you dont really need a true overstable max d driver those should cover it just fine

:hfive: Awesome. The S-PD is plenty stable and a more overstable speed 11 or 12 than my wraiths wouldn't get me enough more distance to be worth the loss in accuracy from discing up.

Played a round at Dretzka yesterday.
A few things I noticed:
I used my beefy Pro Wraith a lot and had some good shots for hyzers and doglegs. At the range I was throwing it (~380) the S-PD would not have faded enough at the end to reach the point I was able to hit with the Wraith. I'll probably grab a TeeRex or Champ Wraith as a backup for when the Wraith beats in.
The S-PD absolutely crushes. If really dig in and rip this (read: torque monkey) it'll ride a turnover line and fade back a bit at the end. Hit over 400 with it on a griplocked off line drive. Great potential.
KC Roc wasn't really clicking. I want to test out a Shark3 and/or a Roc3 as a possible replacement. Which one would be better for the "straight-with-fade" mid range driver role?