Mars Hill, NC
Mars Hill University DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #1 (Taken 11/2008)
Drive must stay left of right side tree 'mando'

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Steep slope Mars

1    12/14/2016   12/15/2016
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -This course is pretty easy to navigate and to find. Just drive past the downtown area and you'll be on the campus. While the campus is nowhere near as good as the campus at WCU, the course here is much better. It has 18 holes, a couple of them have long pads and almost every hole here has a long pin position.

-Starts off interesting with hole 1. The basket was in the long when I played it. It sits on a tall hill. The tee shot is through a small clearing. There is a mando gate maybe 200' away. The short pin is in the wooded area. The fun continues on hole 2, a short but significant uphill drive to get to the basket on the side of a hill. Those holes to me are decent, but it gets quite fun on hole 5. It's a downhill shot and the hill is sloping left. It's very easy to reach. If you go long, chances are you'll be at the bottom of the hill. #6 and #7 utilize excellent elevation changes. Hole 6 is a open bomb. But for the last 100', it goes straight up the hill. Hole 7 is a huge downhill par 3 that I can reach with a putter! But the hill is sloping so if you fade right, without question you will roll left. Just an awesome sight to see on this one.

-The wooded holes here are some of the most unique holes that I have played. Especially holes 10 and 15. 10 is a 190' gauntlet with many pine trees to avoid. Still a great chance for a two for me if I jump putt this one. #15 is a great steep downhill ace run, similar to #10, but it's an incredible flick shot from the long. It has an elevation drop of at least 25 ft. from the short. But to the long pin, it's down much further. Reminded me of #8 at Fontana Dam.

-Has a great end with a fun hole 18. It's like 650' from the long pin. The hole is a nice flex shot where you may want to aim for the trees to the left and get the driver to fade right. I was left with a short upshot, maybe 120'. So this is a very fun bomber hole.

-The downtown area looks pretty great. Probably a coffee shop, a cool restaurant, and I'm sure there is a store that sells discs.

-There is a course kiosk when you get to #1's tee-pad. Take a picture of it so you'll know exactly where to go.

-There are tee-pads, some are carpet and some are concrete. The hole #'s are on the concrete pads. There are markers beside the carpet pads.
Cons: -There are no tee-signs. So you'll have to walk up the fairway to find the baskets on some holes. Many baskets are tucked into wooded areas.

-I'm going to join the bandwagon and say that #12 is a poorly designed hole. I like the skip shots over the roads but the pad is on the right hand side of the road where there is a speed limit of 35 mph. It's a terrible idea for a design. #17 is also a bad hole like many others said. The woods to the right are dense so you don't want to go in there, but the basket is tucked into the woods on the right side. The hole plays on a sloping left fairway next to the road. It's just horrible.

-It can get muddy here and when it does get muddy, you'll have to prepare to slip and fall. I'm 5'9" and 130 lbs and I slipped like four times. I think it needs stairs on the walk from #4 to #5. It gets steep in some places, and the fact that you walk on the side of the hill half the time makes it pretty tough to walk in places.

-While it may be clear most of the time, there is danger out there. There are holes that play over the road and there are tee-pads that are on the road. Ahem #16.

-There is this marker on the transition from 14-15. It says #15. I'm guessing it's a long pad. I wouldn't play it. It's a 5' fairway up a steep hill and goes back down. Just play the original pad so you won't miss out.
Other Thoughts: -Mars Hill is a very fun course. The fun factor is quite high, but still could be better on a few holes. It's maybe seventy miles from my campus at WCU but it makes a great course to play on the drive back.

-I wouldn't suggest playing here in the rain. It seems to be much easier to enjoy when it isn't wet outside. Nevertheless, I am a huge fan of Mars Hill and I think it has the capacity to be a 4-4.5.
It has multiple pins which makes the whole game more interesting. I'd rather see new pins than new pads. Because of a few long pins, there are some holes here that truly stand out. #6 is great par 4 that goes straight uphill. #7 is a great steep downhill par 3. Hole 13 is a true par 4 from the long pin. Only complaint is that it is over the two lane road. But still very enjoyable. It has OB to the left and thick woods on the right. You may want to think twice before throwing a driver because of the fade and you don't want to land in that enormous bush either. #18 is a true long bomb. Feels great to birdie this one (I had an eagle run at it.) I think #18 is my favorite because it was in the long when I played it. #15 would've probably been my favorite if it was in the long. It looks like an amazing hole.

-One more thing, if you park in the visitor parking lot, the first hole you'll see is #7. Walk back to where you passed toward the building and you should see #1's fairway.

1    11/8/2015   11/28/2015
Review By: johngarcia79
Pros: Has a great variety of shots. Some really nice lines on a few of the holes. Elevation change mixes it up quite a bit. Nicely manicured grounds due to the college.
Cons: The hills are kinda ridiculous on a few holes. Don't play this course if the ground is at all wet, saturated, frozen, or slick. There are a few holes that require cleats.
Other Thoughts: Good course to play once in a while. I would get sick of the holes on the hillsides if I played it all the time.

Where am I going?

1    5/26/2015   5/28/2015
Review By: Airubus
Pros: There are a handful of holes that have some really good lines. The course name has "hill" in the title, be prepared to live up to the name and throw elevation changes and slopes.
Cons: I happened to have a local with me the day i went, and if i didn't i would have probably wandered aimlessly trying to find the next hole. Also that day, any fairway that wasnt mowed by the campus was a disgrace. the forest was reclaiming the fairway, with poison ivy past my knees. Some of the holes that actually had signage, was covered with growth. I can recall one hole where the tee was ON THE ROAD. not a campus driveway, but a real, honest to God road - and it was designated with white spray paint. Some of the slopes are a twisted ankle waiting to happen. Quite a few holes are just thrown in. I would recommend that most of the holes need to be completely rethought and maybe even redesigned. I left thinking, "why?"
Other Thoughts: The course is there, and needs some tender loving care. keep the fairways beaten back. add signage. add arrows under the baskets that point to the next tee pad. actually build a tee pad where needed.

EPIC

1    9/28/2013   10/18/2013
Review By: Vavulous
This review was updated on 10/19/2013
Pros: To the previous reviewer, BrotherDave. I literally had to write this review, my first review, just in spite of the 1/5 rating and completely negative review this course unjustly didn't deserve.

-Wide variety of holes. You have Hilly, shady, wide open bombers, blind turns, heavily wooded, urban, YOU have almost every variation in one course. Many holes felt like a different course. It was like the Twilight Zone.
-I came on the weekend, I saw zero other disc golfers. Where I come from, you have people in front and behind you most of the time. I was able to take my time and enjoy the scenery.
-Most important, at least to me and those like me. This course is adventuress. I felt like I got my hiking, exploration, and disc golf fix all in one.
Cons: - I will agree partially with said previous reviewer, this course is dangerous! But I felt he exaggerated a bit. It doesn't take much skill to know when and when not to throw. If a car drives by or a person walks by; DONT THROW. BTW, most of the roads are indeed small, less used roads. I saw 2 cars the whole time. The urban areas you'd have to throw a very bad throw to even remotely danger anyone or the buildings. Atlas, the danger does exists.
-Wild life. I'll enjoy what I can, but when you throw a bad throw sometimes it's worth just leaving it. There are some nasty spiders everywhere, some we don't have in AZ and I've never seen. They freaked me out. There are some questionable vegetation as well, maybe poison ivy? Be careful retrieving discs that you threw off course.
Other Thoughts: There is most likely, in all fairness, some bias in my view. To give a little background, I'm from AZ we have many boring grass and desert courses. Think dry, dusty, and brown. NOTHING compares to the majority of courses I have yet to play on as the 3 courses I have played here in NC have demonstrated. Without a doubt though, it saddens me to know that I may never play on this course again in my life. I came for a wedding and was happy I decided to bring my discs, I'll never forget this course.

Marred Hill

1    5/14/2013   5/15/2013
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 10/18/2013
Pros: Nice campus, well mowed. Occasionally a concrete tee here and there. Quite a few nice open holes to bomb on. Plenty of parking.
Cons: This course feels like an injury is bound to happen, either to you or some student that just happens to have the audacity to use their campus. It plays around buildings, roads, sidewalks, over roads, in roads, volleyball court directly in the line of fire, you name it. In disc golf course terms, this course is about as safe as taking a tour of Vietnam's red light district without jimmy hats. Sure, you can have some fun here but eventually somebody is going to pay a price.

The course just seems to sprawl aimlessly around the campus, just crammed in. Multiple long walks between holes (6 to 7 for a glaring example) with hardly any clue where to go. I had a map and was still guessing a lot.

Poison ivy and briers abound. If the hole has any shade to it at all, it's covered in poison ivy.

Specifics:
Holes 1 &2 aren't too bad but they're still some tree kicks away from taking out cars and pedestrians. Holes 3 & 4 felt like filler holes with high tree kick into people danger. Hole 5's basket was literally within arm's length of a construction fence and would be ridiculously easy to toss one over (a gust of wind could carry a putt over this fence even). Plus, if you BH an anny on this FH'ers hole and it fades back the danger of taking out a car in the crowded parking lot is high. Hole 6 is okay as long as you don't A) early slip into the parking lot immediately left of the tee or B) griplock into that construction zone from the previous hole. Hole 7 isn't obvious to find, extremely high risk of throwing into another construction zone on the left. Half to walk back uphill 7's fairway to get to hole 8 which asks you to either a) throw at least 300' to clear the construction fences or B) lay up your drive under that tree on the left which requires no skill and just chews up an unnecessary stroke. 9 and 10 are poison ivy-ville. Hole 13 is the next tee you come to and you walk half way down it's fairway to tee off from the road for hole 11. Stupid. Then you tee off from a different road for 12 (complete with a blind curve behind you so you worry about a college kid drifting around irresponsibly while you're teeing off, awesome!) Play back to hole 13's tee which would be a great hole if you didn't throw over that road. These are actual roads, not seldom used cart paths or something. I played on a weekday morning and there was still traffic. Hole 14 is also a poison ivy jungle with thick underbrush to make losing a disc easy. Ignore the map when trying to get to hole 15, just follow the stupidly long goat path. Hole 16 tees off from a parking lot, straight uphill to a blind basket tucked into the woods. Dumb. Hole 17 is pathetically easy to roll OB into the road or hit a car, etc. Plus immediately left of this tee is steep grass, which due to being wet from the AM I managed to slip and fall down into a hilarious prat fall. Basket is tucked away and hidden on the right. Dumb. Hole 18 is a decent open hole except for the beach volley ball court immediately center-right of the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Let me explain the bad rating better: I review courses now like a food critic reviews a restaurant. If it sucks that day, I'm sorry but it sucks. I don't assume that the course will be better in the future no matter how likely b/c you know what they say about assuming. The 2 construction zones DIRECTLY in play are probably temporary, I get that. The copious amounts of poison ivy will recede in the fall and winter, you bet. But comparably in regards to all the courses I've played, this one has major flaws. There was a tee LITERALLY IN THE F*&^%ING ROAD. I don't care how unused that road is, teeing off with your back to a blind road is chitty design. I can look the other way on a park drive or utility road or something but c'mon, it's a state road. The flow of the course is really bad and if you've never played here before (the demographic this website is focused towards, roadtrippers) you're very likely to be walking aimlessly from hole to hole on numerous stretches. Sorry homeboys, that's the honest truth. Either deal with it or improve your course.

Mars Hill 1st time Review

1    10/14/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: OwRuth1
Pros: Awesome mix of long and short holes as well as wooded and open. I think this is the best course in WNC. however Richmond hill is great too but after a while you get tired of hitting trees every throw. Mars hill is great exercise but doesn't kick your butt. One hole you' throwing it as hard as you can down a hill, the next you have a great strategic hole. Great Course!
Cons: If you are like me and you think you can somehow navigate this course without someone whose already played it think again. There are no mini-maps at the kiosk and the course is strangely laid out.
Other Thoughts: Great course! if you haven't played it do.

Leave plenty of time to play here

1    6/13/2012   9/7/2012
Review By: Sersan43
Pros: Beautiful area. You use all sorts of shots and discs. Very creative pin placements. Good mix of long and short as well as a good mix of technical and elementary shots needed.
Cons: It's kind of out of the way unless you are already passing through or are staying in the area. Don't play right after a downpour like I did. With a lot of elevation changes and playing on slopes, you are going to fall a lot, unless you play in cleats. The underbrush is a little thick on the wooded holes and that's become a pet peeve of mine because I hate searching for 10 minutes for a bright colored disc. You will get a good workout here, I'm a little out of shape and I was absolutely exhausted after playing a round here. A few holes are right in the middle of campus it seems. Throwing over roads, over walking paths, and next to dorms is something you'll deal with here. Cross your fingers you don't play the first 4 or 5 holes right after classes let out because the foot traffic makes it impossible to safely play.
Other Thoughts: Bring your shoes that have the most grip along with plenty of energy. Be sure to walk a lot of the fairways before you make your drive and prepare to be patient on the holes that have a lot of foot traffic.

Mars Attacks

1    7/9/2012   7/13/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Mars Hill DGC is a really good one IMHO. The terrain puts elevation in play on most if not all holes, and alternates through open, grassy hills and more wooded and thick rough on several holes. I liked the blend of shots required to play this course well. Many fun and memorable holes. The course has pretty good tee pads on most holes, concrete and pavement generally. No signs, but posts mark the pads, and the printable map makes it fairly easy to navigate. The baskets are nice DGA models.
Cons: Some signs and info would be nice, and I'm not sure where the box for hole 8 was, it may have been temporarily displaced by construction in that area at the time. Not certain about the 12 tee either. Course weaves around buildings and across roads. Map is helpful. Sometimes cars and pedestrians can interfere with play. A couple of holes were less than spectacular. The rough can be very heavy in places. Poison ivy or thorns may punish errant throws and bad rolls or bounces.
Other Thoughts: Mars Hill was very fun, and offers a nice blend of long and short, wooded and open, up/downhill, and left or right shot through out the course. A couple of filler holes (ahem, 11 and 12, cough), but overall, very fun. The wind spoiled some shots for me, and if I played there again, my shot selection would be vastly different in several places. In some instances, it reminds me of my home course, Riverview Park in North Augusta, SC.

sore ankles!

2-4    12/30/2011   12/2/2011
Review By: ashevillain
This review was updated on 12/30/2011
Pros: - It's very likely that you'll use almost every shot in your arsenal.

- Incredibly beautiful campus!

- Most of the tees are a perfect size. I like the concrete ones best.
Cons: - Lots of sidehill walking = sore ankles.

- Every fairway that is on a significant sidehill is banked right to left...some variety in that respect would be nice.

- Portable maps for the navigationally challenged would be nice. Doesn't really bother me though.

- It would be nice if each basket had some sort of flag to make them stand out a bit more.
Other Thoughts: - I don't really think it is a difficult course to navigate. Down vote me if you want but that's how I feel. Most of the reviews here are way overdramatic about the flow of the course (11 > 12 > 13). The only questionable part was where the course doubles back on itself. That part of the layout could be better.

- With the baskets in the long positions this course is probably too difficult for beginners. It is really long!

one of the best near asheville

5+    11/17/2011   11/22/2011
Review By: porchmike
Pros: great variety of shots- up/downhill, left/right, wooded, open. elevation a factor on almost every hole- several of the flatter shots(1,2,3,4,5,9,13,14,17) will travel well downhill if you miss your mark.

#7 is a great downhill shot, especially when the pin is in the right-hand position on the hill- you really get to see em fly here! and currently, the dorm downhill to the left is being demolished, so errant left-fading shots won't go through a car/dorm window

beautiful scenery in the WNC foothills, esp. in the fall

i would say #18 is about 750 ft when the pin is in the far position- 2 good drives to get there.

relaxing pace of play because... no crowds!

great exercise due to the hilly nature of the course and how far spread out most of the holes are.

Cons: if you've never been here, i would say it's impossible to find your way around the course- go with a local or you will never find all the holes. some signs would be very helpful in that area. bring a map or look at the map at the kiosk, and... you still won't find all the holes unless you're with a local. the navigation is by no means intuitive.

the steep hills will be very slippery when covered in leaves or after a rain- wear slick-soled shoes at your peril!

holes 1,2,3 can be obstructed by students during a class change- usually not a problem.

the course is a big hike for those averse to exercise, but maybe in that case it means those people should exercise more!

#12 is a pretty boring hole, really just a way to get back up to 13. the gradual uphill makes it hard to get a tee shot near the pin, though...

poison ivy in the woods/rough, although it seems a concentrated effort is being made to get rid of it- #9 looks way better than it did last summer as far as PI goes.

Other Thoughts: the lack of people here and the nice, long, open shots make this course a great contrast to richmond hill, which is asheville's nicest and most crowded course(people and trees!). every hole is unique, and it's a nice place to get away from the disc golf "scene" in asheville. my mom has taught at the school for around 40 yrs. and i never knew about this course till last year- very glad to have another excellent course to play when i'm visiting home. come play a round, and remember to bring someone who's been there before!

< Prev 1 2 3 4