• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1 Day in Austin

What three courses would you recommend someone play if they had only 1 day in town? Looking to hear from some Austin locals here.

Wilco, Circe C, the Ridge with an honorable mention to Met Center, Searight, and East Metro.

If you've got limited time, Circle C, Met Center, and Searight are all really close together.

Warm up with searight, go by disc nation on the way to circle c. If you still feel like you need a beating go to Manor or for an easier finish go to zilker park and then take a dip in Barton Springs when you are done.

I guess that's the other question. What kind of golf do you like? Do you like par 54 pitch-and-putts or are you partial to longer more punishing courses? Do you enjoy the challenge of tight fairways or does hitting a bunch of trees tend to ruin your round? Is driving long distances between rounds a problem for you?

North Austin?

Wilco
Northtown
Rivery or Brushy 9

South or Central?

East Metro
Circle C
Searight

Warm up with searight, go by disc nation on the way to circle c. If you still feel like you need a beating go to Manor or for an easier finish go to zilker park and then take a dip in Barton Springs when you are done.

Sounds like a damn good day IMO :thmbup:

I'm going to be staying right near MetCenter so it will be first on my list, followed by a trip to Disc Nation, and then probably Searight unless I can find someone to guide me through Circle C.

i agree, that's a great itinerary right there. i just played Manor for my first time yesterday afternoon and am still picking out some cactus from my legs! great course though!!!

Yeah - I don't doubt the signage is good, but maybe what I'm saying is I don't want to play a course that long/challenging without someone familiar with the course. I can imagine it turning into a nature hike.

You don't need someone to guide you through Circle C.

I'm wanting something reasonable for a couple of hours per round - after doing some reading I'm thinking Circle C and Manor may be a bit much for the time I have. It looks like MetCenter and Searight are a bit more in the Par 54 Pitch-Putt arena. Would you say that is accurate?

I guess that's the other question. What kind of golf do you like? Do you like par 54 pitch-and-putts or are you partial to longer more punishing courses? Do you enjoy the challenge of tight fairways or does hitting a bunch of trees tend to ruin your round? Is driving long distances between rounds a problem for you?

Searight is short (and tons of fun). I had a friend come visit and we played searight 5 times in 1 day. We were jogging around and it was a weekday so it wasn't as crowded. The worst thing about searight (and zilker too if you go that route) is the traffic. Lots of people on both those courses all the time.

Met center is pretty long, definitely not a pitch-and-putt. It will be empty though so how long it takes is just a function of how fast you play. It doesn't have a lot of underbrush, so you probably won't spend much time looking for discs.

I would say that Circle C is easier to navigate than met center but that neither one is to terribly difficult.

When are you going to be here?

Metcenter is not par 54 pitch and putt. 54 is the current local record as a matter of fact. It is also a bit "under construction". Hole 7 is missing because of nearby construction and the box for 6 is covered up by a large tree. There is "Hole A" which tees off from a hill about 150-200ft south of 18s basket, that is currently the replacement for hole 7 until the construction is done. You play from that hill down to 18s basket.

i agree, that's a great itinerary right there. i just played Manor for my first time yesterday afternoon and am still picking out some cactus from my legs! great course though!!!

that's part of the fun though :thmbup:

I played a few holes at MetCenter today after getting into town late - I can already say that I'm impressed though ... very cool course. Looks really well laid out - the teesigns are wonderful, and the pads are about as good as it gets. I managed a few birdies in my short time out there and plan on playing a full round tomorrow morning. And wow - Texas is dry and the courses unlike anything in Missouri. The trees are skinny and don't have undergrowth - and there are no cedars either! Sweet.

you got it set. metcenter, searight, circle c. what u worried bout?? have fun u lucky bastard.

Just hit up Austin this weekend and played Circle C for the 1st time. What a great course!

Beautiful and pretty easy to navigate. Very rocky...wear shoes. Easy to see why it averages a 4.44 rating.

I did Circle C and E Manor on the same day last year, while not near each other I thought the golf
was great on both courses.