• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1 Hole Tournament

I'd have to put a twist on it and make the hole on the other side of the mountain with a mando at the top that way you can make one bomb of a drive up high for a crazy run at the basket.

The record is 9 strokes for 3 miles? That's 1760ft per stoke

I'd like to do a round at the local course, starting from hole one, and not chaining out until hole 18. Playing down the paths between holes

And some dude shot a 9! I'd be lucky to finish. And yes, I would absolutely bring more guns than golf clubs. "snakes and mountain lions" ...

I can't even conceive of how its over 2500 ft up, 3 miles long and someone did it in 9 strokes. Thats 586 yards per stroke. Something does not compute

EDIT: Tee is 2500 feet above the green. Now it makes more sense

Running with this idea... we have a fairly open course that does 2 loops of 9 holes. I think i can easily adapt a 4 hole tournament for a club monthly:

Hole 1: hole 1 teepad to hole 5 basket.
Hole 2: hole 6 teepad to hole 18 basket.
Hole 3: hole 10 teepad to hole 13 basket.
Hole 4: hole 14 teepad to hole 16 basket.

the biggest problem i see is people tracking throw totals

Monster Jungle...

Similar to our Monster Jungle setup... when it starts getting dark, we play the backside in "jungle" format with different tees to different baskets shortening up the course...

But once a year, we do Monster Jungle and play stupid crazy long holes up and over treelines and such. In fact, it's almost that time of year.

One year at Dalaiwood in Olalla WA there was a challenge to play a hole from one corner of the property to the corner on the opposite side and then back. It was estimated to be ~ 1/2 mile. I think someone got it with an 11. It was not a wide open and there was a few placement shots you had to make to score well. Fun idea, but got a little congested when 20+ people were playing at the same time.

I've done that playing from tee 1 to basket 9 by going all the way around the central woods on this course:
5fb467b1.jpg

I've toyed with the idea of having a two hole tournament at my home course where you basically play from the 1st tee to the furthest basket, and the turn around and play back from the furthest tee back to the practice basket.

My issue with this type of format is that the skill of putting is not in play very much. Perhaps some mandatory baskets that must be "putted out" on along the way before proceeding would alleviate this issue?

I've toyed with the idea of having a two hole tournament at my home course where you basically play from the 1st tee to the furthest basket, and the turn around and play back from the furthest tee back to the practice basket.

My issue with this type of format is that the skill of putting is not in play very much. Perhaps some mandatory baskets that must be "putted out" on along the way before proceeding would alleviate this issue?

Would not recommend for a tournament. More of a drunken evening a ****es and giggles sort of thing

You might as well play the course if there are baskets along the way!

Only a select few of the baskets would be used. My home course is a mixture of open and woods- with some mandatory basket hole outs the "holes" would become more interesting.

I have some local players that might throw down $5-$10 on a round like this it'd be fun. So to seriously think about this here are some basic rules I came up with.
*Every putting circle is a mando you must place a shot inside the circle to continue.
*The mandos must be done in order. Can't do what ever greens are close to each other.
*You must make a putt from where you land your mando shot.
*Do not count the putt as a stroke unless you miss. Proceed to missed shot for next lie. Continue until putt is made.
*Continue to next mando from where the putt was made.
*Holing out on basket 18 ends the round and the putt counts as a stroke.

So this makes the putting matter, gives you a way to keep track by writing down each hole without counting the made putt, and keeps the flow going.

Thoughts?

Only other tweak I think I might consider would be to have the mando a fly over and take the putt from where it crossed in or out of the circle. This would allow longer shots over the green without having to stop at it.

I don't think the circles should be mando, I think it should be the baskets. But you should be aloud to go past the basket mando as long as you come back to it. That would be a cool game...

Latest posts