• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

10 Must-Have Beginner Discs

Anheuser

So I recently started playing disc golf again after a 7 or 8 year hiatus this summer. Here's what I have in my bag currently:

Drivers:

*Roadrunner (love this one- I'll always have one in my bag from now on)

*Sidewinder (haven't thrown this one a lot yet- it's supposed to be good for beginners with a less powerful arm. I've been using it mostly for thumbers/tommys)

*Champion Boss (found disc, can't throw it for crap)

*X Clone (found this one too but I like it for a lot of fade)

*Z Predator (ditto)

*Dragon (My floater disc- don't use it on anything other than water holes)

Mids:

*Roc (love it- I even putt with it most of the time.

*Gator (love this one for anhyzer/hyzer mid range shots)

Putters:

*Focus (started out really liking this one, now I'm not so sure. I think I might like something a little grippier)

*Soft Challenger (I use this one one to prevent rollaways on sketchy putts- it's super old, beat up and floppy. My dog customized it by chewing on one side, but that just makes it fall over and stay put even better. Also doubles as an ash tray.)

That's all I've got for now. Any comments/suggestions on the disc selection and how it could be improved? What 10 discs would you put in your beginner's bag? Thanks!

Avenger - Max Distance
Teebirds
Eagle
Predator - Overstable
Fuse/Comet
Wizards

Think the teebird is a must!

Magnet, magic small bead avair or apx - spin Putting assumed
Challenger, wizard, or BB avair
Comet or stratus
Roc
XL, jls, or leopard
Teebird
Avenger, Orc, beast
Valk or xs

I was once using an avenger for max but IMO a valk ir xs will yield better results.

I wouldn't put 10 discs in a beginner bag. I also wouldn't put anything fast in there, either.

My recommended beginner bag:

Aviar or some neutrally stable putter
Cobra

Once some basics are learned, add:

Roc
Cheetah

And if that goes well, consider:

Teebird or Eagle or Gazelle

And from there, learn to control the discs and shape lines

1) Putter - Any
2) Skeeter
3) Leopard (Advanced Beginner)
4) Viking
5) Valkyrie (Advanced Beginner)
6) Sidewinder (Advanced Beginner)

7-10)????

1. Champion Valkryie 150 - good grip, good distance, great control, lightweight
2. Dragon -- this was my first disc...they work well for beginners IMO - lightweight and easy to throw.
3. Buzzz
4. Aviar - my favorite putter

I would start him with just a few discs -- having too many at the start really confuses a beginner (trust me, I know ;)). When he's ready for something a little faster, I would suggest a Surge FLX (or Avenger, although I prefer the Surge) -- get the lightest weight possible. My main 2nd driver was a 150 Surge X -- I really liked it, but they get understable fast. Next, I got a Surge FLX and really like it -- slightly overstable and a little faster than the Valk.

Garret

1. any putter
2. Buzzz
3. a more understable mid, comet or fuse
4. teebird as an OS driver
5.leopard as a S/US driver

I don't think much else is really needed

10 discs?

5 putters (same weight, same plastic)
1 Coyote, Comet, or Fuse
1 Leopard

+3 glow/glo discs to play at night :D

Though I wouldn't give 10 discs to a newbie in the first place...

Hmm... I see a Teebird in my future. Is that a "fairway driver"? I love the Roadrunner- anyone have anything to say about that one? Thanks for the input so far.

Oh yeah, and are any of the above mentioned discs I have good for thumbers/tomohawks?

Last edited:
RR is ok, I threw a Champ one for a bit. I realized though that anything I could do with it I could also do with either my Valkyrie or Leopard - and since those two are staples of my bag I found the RR to be extraneous.

Also, Teebird is a fairway driver as classified by speed rating, but its one of those discs that can be thrown 450'+.

you get ten huh.. Well don't know if you need ten but I'll go with
whatever putter feels good......
Buzzz
Comet
XS
Cyclone
Xpress
(2) Flash
1 Domey for "overstable" shots and one flat for max Distance..
But even a beginner should probably stick away from flash
Well I tried for ten

I have been playing nearly four years and my bag doesn't even have 10 molds in it. So I am not sure a begginer should have ten molds.

What 10 discs would you put in your beginner's bag? Thanks!
3 Soft or Medium Wizards
2 DX Rocs
1 DX Shark (until one of the Rocs beats in)
3 Millennium (their base plastic) Polaris LS
1 Champ Banshee

Your putter and mid selection isn't too bad. I'd pick either the Focus or Challenger and the Roc for when you're on the course, but they'll all be good for field practice. Stop using the Roc for putting, too. It's for drives only.

The Pred is the only driver I'd keep if I were you. The rest of those discs are either too fast, too overstable or too squirrley to be any good for learning to drive.

I just did a newbie bag:

voodoo
cobra
roc (can grow into)
cheetah
gazelle (can grow into)

2 Putters of preference
2 Rocs
2 Comets
2 Cheetahs
2 Banshees (Decent Overstable to start with, but maybe a Whippet or Blaze)

I dont see the need to say Gazelle to start for after the Cheetahs. I think it depends on where you are with the Cheetahs and what you want to do when you are ready for something more advanced. If you want a disc of that speed when you get more distance as you control disc, then by all means, get a Gazelle or Cyclone, but Im betting most people would then step to the Eagles or Teebirds; maybe a River once the Cheetah is truly being pushed further than it can go.

Ten discs is too many. I gave my brother a Buzzz and an Ion to start with. If you wanted to add a driver, I'd go Cyclone.

Latest posts