• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

10 Must-Have Beginner Discs

i been playing for about 6 months. and so far my aviar and buzz are my favorite.
i use a leopard driver, but it just doesnt like me... im sure i can throw my putter further than my leopard.

I had the same issue with the Leopard at first. I couldn't quite figure it out, so I didn't feel like I really had control of it. Now it's one of my favorite molds. Stick with it, it's a good one.

I have two... they're alright, but seriously...

Cobra. Nothing beats it. Not even my Gopher. And I seriously love my Gopher.

I'm gonna have to go with ten being too many...

Get two Wizards, one firmer than the other.
Two TL's, one about 5g less in weight than the other
Finally, two Rocs

Less is more

I don't plan on playing tournaments anytime soon, so I don't care if the disc is "legal" or not. Also, I've never returned a disc and I never plan to. Nor do I write my name in my discs. I find some, I lose some. But I live to play another day! That's part of the fun of the game for me. Sometimes finding a really cool disc can make a crappy round seem not so bad, and if I give up on finding mine and leave it out on the course I hope someone else finds it and it makes their day. Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the great info so far folks :hfive:

This is my favorite anhyzer disc. Great for getting around long right bends.

Found them on the course? Any ink? You should make an attempt to return them if possible.

I think those dog chew marks might make that an illegal disc according to the PDGA rules. 802.01C states "Players may not make post-production modifications of discs which alter their original flight characteristics." Someone could probably hand you a two stroke penalty for carrying that disc.

I don't plan on playing tournaments anytime soon, so I don't care if the disc is "legal" or not. Also, I've never returned a disc and I never plan to. Nor do I write my name in my discs. I find some, I lose some. But I live to play another day! That's part of the fun of the game for me. Sometimes finding a really cool disc can make a crappy round seem not so bad, and if I give up on finding mine and leave it out on the course I hope someone else finds it and it makes their day. Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the great info so far folks :hfive:

WTF?!?!?!?!

Is it? I never really gave it much thought I guess. I guess I could call them. A couple of them I've had for like 5 years though. I always subscribed to the "find some you lose some" philosophy.

Dude... just because you don't care about getting discs back doesn't mean they don't. That's why there are names and numbers on the backs.

It's one thing to not want to play by tournament restrictions... I do that... but if there is any chance of returning a disc... you damn well try to return it.

Just last week I got a disc with a stamp I really wanted to keep, but it had a name and number on the back... no area code and the disc was stamped with a course in VA. I knew the area code there and couldn't get him. Then I tried local. Failed again. Then I looked up his name in the white pages. Called up the only dude in the area with that name. He's getting that disc back next week.

It's not about that BS karma... it's about doing the right thing. If you're not willing to be a decent person and give someone back their property, then I don't want anything to do with you. And niether should anyone else.

I dont know if I'd be so harsh lol, but i do my best to get it back to the original owner. Sometimes they say keep it, sometimes they could kiss me they're so happy. And yes I do believe in karma :)

Back on topic, u don't need 10 discs as a beginner. I also cant believe someone suggested a predator, seriously, figure it out lol

Aviar
Stingray
Shark
Leopard150
Leopard 170s
Panther
Skeeter
Gazelle

and 9 and 10 after they learn to throw the rest,

Sidewinder
RoadRunner

I guess I've been playing for about a year and a half, but I still consider myself a beginner because I'm still developing my form and style. I feel like the bag I'm using now is pretty good for learning technique as well as different shots:

Putter (Right now I'm liking my APX)
Buzzz (D is probably best for a brand new player; I'm using ESP at the moment)
Leopard (Again, DX is probably best, but I liked the mold so I got a Star)
Z XL
DX Eagle-X

I also keep a Champ Orc in there, which is an artifact of my all-FH days. Also good for overhand.

From what I keep hearing, a Comet or Meteor sound like a good addition. Haven't tried them personally, so I can't comment.

I guess I've been playing for about a year and a half, but I still consider myself a beginner because I'm still developing my form and style. I feel like the bag I'm using now is pretty good for learning technique as well as different shots:

Putter (Right now I'm liking my APX)
Buzzz (D is probably best for a brand new player; I'm using ESP at the moment)
Leopard (Again, DX is probably best, but I liked the mold so I got a Star)
Z XL
DX Eagle-X

I also keep a Champ Orc in there, which is an artifact of my all-FH days. Also good for overhand.

From what I keep hearing, a Comet or Meteor sound like a good addition. Haven't tried them personally, so I can't comment.
I am considering trying the buzzz since it seems everyone likes them and i want to try some Discraft stuff. I have a 175 and a 180 dx roc to go with my skeeter. So you think the d plastic is best for a beginner? what weight should i get? i'm thinking under 170g. I'm gonna pick up another Leopard since i lost my dx 168 leo last week. As far as a putter, i have a 170 r-pro aviar and i really like it.

I am considering trying the buzzz since it seems everyone likes them and i want to try some Discraft stuff. I have a 175 and a 180 dx roc to go with my skeeter. So you think the d plastic is best for a beginner? what weight should i get? i'm thinking under 170g. I'm gonna pick up another Leopard since i lost my dx 168 leo last week. As far as a putter, i have a 170 r-pro aviar and i really like it.

I like the D because it's the least stable of the Buzzz family. Flies nice and straight, and easy to anny. Later, it becomes good for turnovers. My D Buzzz is a 170 I think, which I found to be a pretty good weight. Not TOO heavy, but enough that it won't turn over too quickly.

As for the Leopard, here's my story:
I started with a 150 DX that I found. It served me well for a while, but it beat in pretty quickly. When it started easily turning over, I bought one in Pro plastic, then in Star (168) so it would keep its flight characteristics longer. I liked the 150 DX a lot because I went through its life cycle relatively quickly, and I got a good feel for the mold. I still keep it in the bag for hard anhyzers and shorter hyzer-flips or turnovers.

I like the D because it's the least stable of the Buzzz family. Flies nice and straight, and easy to anny. Later, it becomes good for turnovers. My D Buzzz is a 170 I think, which I found to be a pretty good weight. Not TOO heavy, but enough that it won't turn over too quickly.

As for the Leopard, here's my story:
I started with a 150 DX that I found. It served me well for a while, but it beat in pretty quickly. When it started easily turning over, I bought one in Pro plastic, then in Star (168) so it would keep its flight characteristics longer. I liked the 150 DX a lot because I went through its life cycle relatively quickly, and I got a good feel for the mold. I still keep it in the bag for hard anhyzers and shorter hyzer-flips or turnovers.
yeah i have a 150 dx leopard too left over from my starter kit. i mostly only use it for bh rollers. I have a lot of molds that i tried and didn't like or couldn't throw- dart,teerex,shark,beast,150 aviar.

It's not about that BS karma... it's about doing the right thing. If you're not willing to be a decent person and give someone back their property, then I don't want anything to do with you. And niether should anyone else.

Wow. Apparently I'm a terrible person. I bet you're a blast to play with.

Wow. Apparently I'm a terrible person. I bet you're a blast to play with.

There are 3 kinds of people who don't attempt to return discs: 1) Terrible people as you mentioned, 2) noobs, which you may qualify for, 3) 12 year olds, which we can safely assume you're not from the OP.
You don't have to put in the effort that AJ 86 does, but just call the number.

Latest posts