• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

100 Putts a Day?

How many putts per day

• 100 +

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • 75 +

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 50 +

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • 25 +

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Why ?

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters
Limited by a busy and sporadic schedule, and injuries, so it's:

75-100 putts, 2-3 times per week, in a set regimen ranging from 15-30'. (I aim for 100, but my back won't always last that long).

And 25 putts before playing, which is 1-2 times per week.

I throw ten or 12 every day when I get home from work and sometimes the same when I go out in the morning, depending on how late I'm running. I also do some dedicated time on weekends but it's when I can. I can't imagine having the time to do 100 per day, every day. I have definitely improved simply by getting a basket and throwing some amount every day, so I can see the value of doing more, I just can't see having the time. A common lament, probably.

I don't know what your time demands are, so I'm saying this generally, not specifically to you: if 15-20 minutes out of 24 hours (about one percent of the time!) in a day is too much time to spend on something, then it either 1) isn't important at all, or 2) you're wasting time.

To point 1, disc golf putting practice is waaay down the list of important things to do, especially for people with lots of responsibilities. Getting 100 putts in is like the sprinkles on top of the frosting on top of the cake.

To point 2, 15-20 minutes is not that big of a time commitment. People spend more time than that watching shows, on social media, or even reading/posting on this forum.

People like to complain about not having enough time, but often time is not the real issue.

To point 2, 15-20 minutes is not that big of a time commitment. People spend more time than that watching shows, on social media, or even reading/posting on this forum.

Alas, in my life there are about 65 hours of stuff like that a day, that I want to do and could do if I only made time.

If only I could practice disc golf while eating....

To be clear, I don't throw 100 in a single session and 100 is a stretch goal.

I usually break it up into at least a couple of sessions. My goal is 25 putts with my morning coffee (5 each at 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30'), 50 putts after work (10 at each distance), and 25 more after dinner. I'm also logging every putt to keep my expectations honest.

My target basket is set up on the deck near the BBQ, so I often practice while grilling dinner. :cool:

Alas, in my life there are about 65 hours of stuff like that a day, that I want to do and could do if I only made time.

If only I could practice disc golf while eating....

Yeah, same here. There's a lot of stuff to do. For me, I've wanted to play a third instrument (violin) but haven't made the time since I have a regular commitment to play piano in one group, and guitar fills in the rest of my music time. At this point, practicing putts is more important to me than learning the violin. Eventually that will change; maybe when 25 foot putts feel like 15 footers do for me now.

100 putts doesn't need to take more than a few minutes. I think it's the bare minimum of what someone needs to do in a practice session to get better at putting.

I don't know what your time demands are, so I'm saying this generally, not specifically to you: if 15-20 minutes out of 24 hours (about one percent of the time!) in a day is too much time to spend on something, then it either 1) isn't important at all, or 2) you're wasting time.

To point 1, disc golf putting practice is waaay down the list of important things to do, especially for people with lots of responsibilities. Getting 100 putts in is like the sprinkles on top of the frosting on top of the cake.

People like to complain about not having enough time, but often time is not the real issue.

If 100 putts actually took me 15-20 minutes, then, yes, it might be feasible. I practice quite a bit throughout the week, mostly upshots 100-150 foot. If I had 100 putters of the same mold, I might get through 100 putts in 15-20 minutes. I do not. I have 4 Judges. So, while I get that you're speaking in generalities, I don't think you are being realistic about the time commitment that 100 putts takes. As far as being committed to disc golf, well, I've spent hundreds of dollars and a significant amount of time playing and practicing in the year and a half I've been disc golfing, plus lots of time watching videos, commenting on message boards, daydreaming about my first ace, etc., so I think it's pretty important to me.

Actually, if I could putt from my desk when I should be working---like I post here---I'd get a lot of practice in.

I try to get out 5-10 times per week to putt for a few minutes, mostly focused on 15-20 footers. Its a confidence building exercise. Quantity=/= Quality.

If 100 putts actually took me 15-20 minutes, then, yes, it might be feasible. I practice quite a bit throughout the week, mostly upshots 100-150 foot. If I had 100 putters of the same mold, I might get through 100 putts in 15-20 minutes. I do not. I have 4 Judges. So, while I get that you're speaking in generalities, I don't think you are being realistic about the time commitment that 100 putts takes. As far as being committed to disc golf, well, I've spent hundreds of dollars and a significant amount of time playing and practicing in the year and a half I've been disc golfing, plus lots of time watching videos, commenting on message boards, daydreaming about my first ace, etc., so I think it's pretty important to me.

I made 90 out of 100 20-foot putts this morning in 12 minutes using 3 putters. There's a 3.5 minute video of McBeth making 50 putts plus messing around with a basketball (50 +1 on youtube.) If each putt takes 10 seconds, that's under 17 minutes for 100 putts. So 20 minutes is definitely realistic for 100 putts. Though I can see if you only use one putter, and go through a full routine of marking your lie, setting up, and putting each and every time, it would take much longer. Which would also be a great way to practice, since that's what happens when it counts. But for building muscle memory, confidence, "greasing the groove," etc., 15-20 minutes is definitely realistic.

Also, I must not have been clear enough on the point of "importance" since it looks like you misunderstood what I was saying. I am not equating importance with commitment. I am not saying that disc golf is not important to you; I am saying that putting practice is not an important focus. Which is fine; it sounds like you are choosing to focus practice time on upshots. There is only so much time, and priorities have to be made. So if you choose to spend disc golf practice time on upshots rather than putting, wouldn't that mean that you deem practicing upshots a more important use of time than practicing putting? Or for that matter, watching videos, commenting on message boards, daydreaming about your first ace, etc. must also be more important to you than practicing putting, since that is where you are spending your disc golf "time budget?"

Those other activities are certainly valuable, for learning, motivation, enjoyment, etc. What I'm saying is that we all prioritize what are really the important things first. So if putting practice is at the bottom of the list, then relative to the other activities, it isn't of high importance. Otherwise it would be at the top of the list.

In years past, I used to do 100+ per day, even in the basement in winter. This summer, I bet I am averaging 20 or less. Stupid Kids.

I have my practice basket and 5 judges in my yard for ease of access. Whenever I take the pup out I will putt for a few minutes, maybe getting 25-50 putts in at a time (sometimes it's a couple times a day). I voted 25+, because some days the motivation isn't there.

I feel my game as a whole has improved immensely this year alone. Practicing putting with a consistent form (and driving for that matter) and improving the FH game is the reason.

I made 90 out of 100 20-foot putts this morning in 12 minutes using 3 putters. There's a 3.5 minute video of McBeth making 50 putts plus messing around with a basketball (50 +1 on youtube.) If each putt takes 10 seconds, that's under 17 minutes for 100 putts. So 20 minutes is definitely realistic for 100 putts. Though I can see if you only use one putter, and go through a full routine of marking your lie, setting up, and putting each and every time, it would take much longer. Which would also be a great way to practice, since that's what happens when it counts. But for building muscle memory, confidence, "greasing the groove," etc., 15-20 minutes is definitely realistic.

Also, I must not have been clear enough on the point of "importance" since it looks like you misunderstood what I was saying. I am not equating importance with commitment. I am not saying that disc golf is not important to you; I am saying that putting practice is not an important focus. Which is fine; it sounds like you are choosing to focus practice time on upshots. There is only so much time, and priorities have to be made. So if you choose to spend disc golf practice time on upshots rather than putting, wouldn't that mean that you deem practicing upshots a more important use of time than practicing putting? Or for that matter, watching videos, commenting on message boards, daydreaming about your first ace, etc. must also be more important to you than practicing putting, since that is where you are spending your disc golf "time budget?"

Those other activities are certainly valuable, for learning, motivation, enjoyment, etc. What I'm saying is that we all prioritize what are really the important things first. So if putting practice is at the bottom of the list, then relative to the other activities, it isn't of high importance. Otherwise it would be at the top of the list.

Yeah, I don't mark my lie but I move around a lot to get different looks, uphill, downhill, around trees. Even standing still with a stack of 100 putters, I don't know that I think 20 minutes is realistic. Let's say 10 seconds per putt, that's 6 putts per minute, for a total time of a little less than 17 minutes. With 3 putters and 12 minutes and 20 foot putts, as you say, you are talking considerably less than 10 seconds per putt, which seems nearly impossible and of limited value. Of course, you have been playing a lot longer, so it's entirely possible that what works for you and/or McBeth does not work for me.

I do tend to practice upshots more these days. When I first bought my basket, I focused on putting almost exclusively for weeks, and it helped my putting but other aspects of my game needed work, too. Now, upshots and a beer after work, not only helps my game, but is fun, mores so than putting, maybe that's why I am preferencing one over the other.

Yeah, I don't mark my lie but I move around a lot to get different looks, uphill, downhill, around trees. Even standing still with a stack of 100 putters, I don't know that I think 20 minutes is realistic. Let's say 10 seconds per putt, that's 6 putts per minute, for a total time of a little less than 17 minutes. With 3 putters and 12 minutes and 20 foot putts, as you say, you are talking considerably less than 10 seconds per putt, which seems nearly impossible and of limited value. Of course, you have been playing a lot longer, so it's entirely possible that what works for you and/or McBeth does not work for me.

I do tend to practice upshots more these days. When I first bought my basket, I focused on putting almost exclusively for weeks, and it helped my putting but other aspects of my game needed work, too. Now, upshots and a beer after work, not only helps my game, but is fun, mores so than putting, maybe that's why I am preferencing one over the other.

Yeah, that's a great way of practicing putts. I do something similar to that 2-3 times a week. The rest of the time I'm putting it is just building confidence and muscle memory to where it feels natural.

Have you tried taking 100 putts to see how long it takes you? If you haven't (and it sounds like you haven't,) maybe give it a try so you know for sure whether it takes too long/isn't valuable. Not just once either; maybe at least 3 times since you may have one bad session. Do it from a distance you can hit at least 85% of your putts. This is really just a confidence builder. If you have done it and find it isn't for you, at least you have done it and know for sure. Otherwise, it is just conjecture that it "seems impossible."

Also, if upshot practice helps your game AND is more fun, then that's absolutely a great reason to prioritize that over putting. Eventually you may find you want to switch the focus back over to putting for a little while. That may be the time to try the 100 putts for yourself.

I generally don't count total putts. I have a stack of six putters, one being a different color than the other five, and I throw it first in each set. I throw from 15' markers at different places around the basket. When I get to 6 of 6 twice in a row, I move out to 20 ft. If I get 6 of 6 twice in a row, I move out to 25 ft., and so on. When I start getting tired, I'll stop after a 5 of 6 (4 of 6 if 25 ft. or more). Usually I get in about 60 putts (10 sets of 6 throws), but it could be more or be less, and I don't really keep a count of the total.

Otherwise, it is just conjecture that it "seems impossible."

I will try it this coming week after work. As for conjecture, sure it is, because I haven't actually attempted it. Simple math, however, seems to indicate, to me at least, that I would need to fling putts pretty rapidly to get inside 20 minutes, and to get it down to 12 minutes as you have, doesn't seem plausible. I will throw 100 putts in a session this week though and see how it goes. Perhaps it takes less time than I think.

This thread twist intrigued me, so I just gave it a try. 20 throws from 10-15-20-25-30 for 100 in 14 minutes. Pretty amazing hit rate also, as I have never tried speed putting before.

This thread twist intrigued me, so I just gave it a try. 20 throws from 10-15-20-25-30 for 100 in 14 minutes. Pretty amazing hit rate also, as I have never tried speed putting before.

Sounds fun. How many putters did you use?

That inspired me to try some speed putting. I just got 95/100 from 15 with my 3 putters in 6 minutes, 7 seconds. Likely a lot of room for improvement there. I'm sure there are some people who can do it in 5 minutes or so, especially if using more putters.

Speed putting probably doesn't translate to the course (unless you normally putt quickly during rounds) but doing things like this makes me feel like if my drive/upshot gets within a 30-foot wide circle around the basket, the putt should be pretty automatic. This gives me confidence, as well as a goal to shoot for when practicing drives/upshots (get within that automatic circle.)

Sounds fun. How many putters did you use?

5, 3 Ions and 2 Anodes. 154-172 g.

... Speed putting probably doesn't translate to the course (unless you normally putt quickly during rounds) but doing things like this makes me feel like if my drive/upshot gets within a 30-foot wide circle around the basket, the putt should be pretty automatic. This gives me confidence, as well as a goal to shoot for when practicing drives/upshots (get within that automatic circle.)

It is all about confidence for me right now. Got to believe it is in before throwing.

When I get to practice I do probably I the 200 range, but I don't get to much.

I spent a couple months doing the 100+ per day, and I have to say I was underwhelmed with my results personally.

I don't get to practice much at all, but recently I've decided to slow my practice pace down, take fewer putts, but really focus on feeling the smooth transfer of momentum/energy from my feet -> up through my torso -> to the fingers -> and follow through. This has built my confidence for putts in that 25-30' tester range.

I've also begun to work on all kinds of stances from straddle to stagger, placing my back foot at different angles and depths (relative to my front foot) to mimic awkward lies, and to see how the rhythm for that aforementioned momentum shift changes based on foot placement.

I started doing that because I realized that my putting green confidence wasn't translating to on-course confidence if my feet weren't perfectly in the stance I practiced...so in other words I wasn't practicing for realistic scenarios.

TLDR slowing down, quality over quantity, helped me more.
that poor footing putting is why I recently started using a straddled stance all the time. I was always doing 90+% of my practice with a staggered, but on the course of only get to putt that way on one or two holes. My local course had a lot of trees in the circle, or bushes, etc.