• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1100+ rounds

Forcing players to lay up makes for a much more boring round. Lets say you have a 450' hole where it is 300' to water and then a 150' carry over it. Anyone who can get over 250' but under 450' will have the same exact tee shot, same exact 2nd shot, and then same exact putt. That is terrible.

+1.. T. Fizzle, do you think before you post, or just ramble like your an expert at subjects that you have no idea about

+1.. T. Fizzle, do you think before you post, or just ramble like your an expert at subjects that you have no idea about

No idea? I got to play a temp course this spring that had some holes that forced you to lay up. Are 800 ft holes short now a days? By lay up I mean a 300' ft tunnel shot off the tee, forcing you to throw a control disc into a clearing. Then another 500ft. down a 50 ft. wide fairway with OB all down the left until the the green. Sounds boring doesn't it?

In response to the "Is there a rating's inflation" question:
I think what we think we're seeing as a rating's inflation is often more an increase in the density of top players. This year the average rating at The Memorial is the highest it has ever been. That will allow a player (in this case two) who break away from the field to have incredibly high rated rounds.

I have been suspect of the rating system periodically over the years, and just about every time I run any numbers I find that it is pretty dang accurate with a few notable exceptions that I won't get into. Being curious as I am, decided to run some figures for past Memorials. For whatever it's worth, here are the average round rating's for the MPO winner for the last six years...

2005 Schultz - Avg 1047
2006 Schultz - Avg 1070
2007 Feldberg - Avg 1048
2008 Feldberg - Avg 1071* Course record 1098 round.
2009 Locastro - Avg 1055
2010 Feldberg - Avg 1051
2011 McBeth - Avg 1053

From From the above, I don't really see any trends leading to the conclusion that there is an inflation. At least using the first place finishers of The Memorial as an example. It would be helpful to calculate the average player rating of the field for each of the years as well, but that would take me quite a few hours so I'm not going to bother.

The BSF had an average player rating of 998 last year. I think there is a very good chance (as long as I don't play MPO) that the average rating will eclipse 1000. Given the size of that field, we can expect some of the most intense competition ever in our sport. For reference, I believe the average rating for the Memorial this year is 986-987. If someone wants to do the calcs on that, I'd appreciate it.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the top ratings continue to get higher and higher . . . doesn't that just mean they top guys are creating more disparity between themselves and the other rated players? What I mean is they are getting better quicker than other people who play the game. If we went through a period where the top rated players decreased overall . . . that would mean the pros were not improving as quickly as the other rated players.

Inflation of the ratings! The pDGA and Chuck know it's happening, but don't know how to stop it..

"Pro's have the ability to birdie every hole on a course."

Sounds like a pretty weak course if the top competition is taking birdies on every hole. As spectator I would be bored.
Good thing we're not a spectator sport.

No idea? I got to play a temp course this spring that had some holes that forced you to lay up. Are 800 ft holes short now a days? By lay up I mean a 300' ft tunnel shot off the tee, forcing you to throw a control disc into a clearing. Then another 500ft. down a 50 ft. wide fairway with OB all down the left until the the green. Sounds boring doesn't it?

That course is never goin to open anyway because they are idiots for doing what they did. I'm on castle rock's side on this on.(partially)

That course is never goin to open anyway because they are idiots for doing what they did. I'm on castle rock's side on this on.(partially)

When the proposed layout was up for the temp tourny last year I got to play the temp layout sunday morning with Ray (BRP owner), Chadly (BRP worker) and Beckmiester (just a dude). The feelings over the layout in the group were all over the place; intimadation, awe, cheers, and etc...Needless to say it was like nothing else I have ever played. One round of 18 felt like 36 holes at a typical course.

I might have to stop myself from coming to these forums for a while. The stupidity is just rampant.

These guys are playing lights out! Idk if you watched it at all, but Mac and Feldberg were out of their minds! You remember that one time when you had an awesome day, and every part of your game was just ON? Ok, now let's imagine that you are a 1000 rated player on average and then you have your once-in-a-lifetime day. Your round rating could legitimately be significantly over 1000. Like maybe even 1100! (maybe...) Now look at these guys. Both are rated in the higher 1030s. They are pros. They perform better under pressure. That's what these guys thrive on. It's like a pace group in a marathon. Those guys all push each other to do better. So when the guy next to you is playing good, the pressure is on for you to play good.

McBeth has thrown over 1090 3 rounds in a row. He even had a Bogey each of the rounds. But guess what, he was playing against the top in the world the entire time and shooting lights out.

These guys are playing lights out! Idk if you watched it at all, but Mac and Feldberg were out of their minds! You remember that one time when you had an awesome day, and every part of your game was just ON? Ok, now let's imagine that you are a 1000 rated player on average and then you have your once-in-a-lifetime day. Your round rating could legitimately be significantly over 1000. Like maybe even 1100! (maybe...) Now look at these guys. Both are rated in the higher 1030s. They are pros. They perform better under pressure. That's what these guys thrive on. It's like a pace group in a marathon. Those guys all push each other to do better. So when the guy next to you is playing good, the pressure is on for you to play good.

Longest hole at Vista is 480' = yawn

You must have the inside info. Puppy. Please share. Because the temp. layout we played last spring was sick. 1000' finishing hole was bad a**

Good luck finding that in AZ

He didn't say they birdie them all, but they have the ability to! Completely different.

Still boring. Smart course designers like TG and Houck make you think more and manage the course vs. just slinging a frisbee as far as you can. Forcing players to lay up on their tee shot.

I'm of the belief that if a player who plays a very-well-executed shot (or more than one in the case of a par 4+) does not have at least a small opportunity to make birdie, then the par for that hole is not properly set. This assumes that the player is playing the tee suited to his / her ability (a red-level player shouldn't necessarily have the ability to birdie any given hole on a gold-level course). It doesn't matter if it's a long open hole or a tight, wooded 500' par-4 with a sharp dogleg at 250'. So yes, top pros should have the *ability* to birdie every hole, and I don't think it should require sinking one from 300' away.

Latest posts