• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

12 Year old Nephew

Cartograph

I have a 12 year old nephew who started playing with me last year. he absolutely loves playing and since i live out of state from him he doesnt get much time to play with me. My question for this is simple. I am going to be buying him his own set of 3 discs to play with while i'm gone and try to help him learn how to play properly.

My question is which discs should I suggest for him to pick out as I will let him pick his own discs but i will advise him on his choices. Is there a specific set of discs I should advise him to stay away from or would telling him to grab a distance driver mid-range and putter be good?

Innova has a starter set that has a valkyrie, panther and aviar. Latitude64 has a junior Retro set that has a diamond Ruby and Pearl. Those are both driver mid putter sets that are understable in nature.
It really depends on how hard the kid throws.
Honestly, give him a 160 leopard and putter (heavy magic would be good) and let him out grow those

A putter, a dx shark, and then a 168 star wraith. The shark and putter will be useful and the wraith will play like a utility os disc, but be something he can grow into.

Any of the starter sets from the big companies will work. They've kinda thought about this question already for you. You usually get a putter, mid, and understable driver. That's what I'd give someone from my stash if I were taking them out and they were pretty green.

I'd recommend really light discs until he overpowers them. I've found that 130 class discs seem to work best for beginners.

How athletic is this 12-year-old? I coached baseball, and some kids that age can throw harder than most adults. I once watched a small-for-his-age 13-year-old throw a disc 550' (on a downhill hole).

I'm with everyone on the beginner sets, but might hesitate on the superlight stuff if he's a strong thrower.

the first disc he used was a 170ish gram disc a innova champion sidewinder he normally takes about 3-4 throws to get close to the hole on a 250 foot length hole. But he also doesnt know how to throw a disc yet. I was planning on teaching him form and technique this year.

He can throw a full size football around 30-50 feet if that helps put his strength into perspective.

In which case, the lighter stuff is probably best. Blizzard or its equivalent, in the 150s weight, would be my guess.

Blizzard Champion from innova? I have a couple in my bag that are blizzard champion and one in particuliar does wonders for me.

I also forgot to mention that this was last year that he was doing this kinda throwing this year i havent seen him play yet but come this weekend I will be
buying him his set and taking him out to play.

Yes, Blizzard Champion from Innova. They also make Starlite, and other manufacturers have their own versions. There are also the "150 Class" discs by Innova, and I suppose others.

I introduced my 15 and 12 year-old Nephews to DG during Easter weekend. They are both avid Baseball, Football and Basketball players (in that order) and are athletic for their size...

Set each one up with an (158g) OPTO Diamond and (172g) ZERO Hard Pure from my disc annex. With a little bit of coaching, primarily on wrist positioning, they were both able to get the Diamond out past 200' on golf lines within a few rounds. The Diamond also has enough turn to allow for a nice anhyzer if called for. The Pure proved to an easy and intuitive disc to throw, with great feedback on release angles. The 15 year-old was able to Par a few holes from 40'+ feet with Pure lasers (pun intended) into the chains.

Got em' hooked, for sure! :thmbup:

How athletic is this 12-year-old? I coached baseball, and some kids that age can throw harder than most adults. I once watched a small-for-his-age 13-year-old throw a disc 550' (on a downhill hole).

I'm with everyone on the beginner sets, but might hesitate on the superlight stuff if he's a strong thrower.

This. 12 might as well be 20. Just typical beginner discs; like a Aviar, Roc, Leopard, Teebird. Normal weights, though. My 6 y/o nephew throws a 132g Tern farther than anything else, but heavier discs don't change his mechanics.

Get him some light stuff, his arm strength I highly doubt has increased over the year if he doesn't play any sort of sport or does any weight lifting. 160 at the most until his arm strength goes up.

Latest posts