• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150gm Drivers...

dlk33

Par Member
What are your thoughts about using them?? Have your experiences been good or bad? Do you think low weight drivers are just for wimps, women, kids & old farts? I've had some good thows with my 150gm Teebird & am thinking about getting a Sidewinder in that weight. I already thow a 167gm Champion Sidewinder with good results, but was thinking I could thow it further in 150gm weight. I have a Champion Flick in 150gm that I can't do a thing with thrown sidearm. It cuts really hard, really fast!

I used to field throw a 150 Archangel for big hyzer flips. I never took it to the course because it was too unpredictable. I did have a 150 flick that I loved for severe anhyzer shots that I needed to land flat and not knurl. I accidentally lost it during field practice.

Hmmm... a little about myself... I am 5'3'' and 130lbs... so you can imagine what kind of power structure I might have. I got into DG because I played Ultimate without alot of guys who played. That said, I started playing throwing 175g discs, because I thought that the weight being similar to Ultimate discs. THen someone told me that Unless I could consistently bomb 270' (my average drive is like 220-240, based on my stride) I could throw lighter, and so earlier this summer I tried my first 150g, which was an R-Pro Boss. I didn't exactly shatter my distance record, I've gotten to 270 more consistently. But I do have to say that driving longer distances was much easier, and I had WAY more control of my discs.

The 150s I have in my bag

Gateway Illusion
Gateway Blurr
R-Pro Boss

I do think that 150 may be TOO light for me, or maybe I am just beating my these discs too fast, but I find myself turning over the Boss even with hyzer. But the control I developed throwing lighter discs has allowed me to throw my heavier discs almost as far. I think 160s will be the happy medium for me..

I throw a few 150s. 150 Surge, 150 Beast. The Surge is good for long turnover shots and floating downhill on calm days.

All of my drivers are 145-150g (average golf D ~310, max D ~400):
DX Wraith
R-Pro Boss
11x Champ Firebird
Champ Monarch
11x Champ Teebird
ProLine candy Leopard
Champ Banshee

I get pretty much similar distance with them as with heavy drivers in 95% of conditions, but I feel my mistakes are minimized with light ones. Good throws are equally good, but bad throws are much less bad. They also just feel better in my hand. (150-class Champion plastic is often gummier & flexier than FLX, and I love that feel.)

I use a 150 dx destroyer and a 150 dx dragon for water shots. Also, I have some really light r-pro bosses, but they are hard for me to throw. I wouldnt say any are go to drivers, but I pull them out once in a while.

I mostly throw 162g-165g drivers when I can find them. My only problem with 150s is that they can be really squirrely in any kind of wind. I do carry a 150g Leopard, though; it's an amazing "get out of trouble" disc.

What are your thoughts about using them?? Have your experiences been good or bad? Do you think low weight drivers are just for wimps, women, kids & old farts? I've had some good thows with my 150gm Teebird & am thinking about getting a Sidewinder in that weight. I already thow a 167gm Champion Sidewinder with good results, but was thinking I could thow it further in 150gm weight. I have a Champion Flick in 150gm that I can't do a thing with thrown sidearm. It cuts really hard, really fast!

That's crazy. My roomate can throw the 150g Flick around 400-450 feet and I don't think I'm too far behind that with that disc either (both RHBH). It's a little light but since it's still overstable it is still a wind fighter. More than likely going to find a spot in my bag

I already use a 150g Champ Leopard that i love to drive on shorter holes

I've got:

150 DX Gazelle
150 Sirius Orion LS
150 Champ Sidewinder
150 ESP Flick
150 S Warrior

I generally use them LHBH because I am a noodle arm backhanded. I can maybe get 150' with a normal weight disc but push over 200' with the light ones.

I always ended up flipping over pretty much ANY 150 disc until the R-Pro Boss came along.......... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!! 50 feet further than my Champ Boss and less effort to get it there.

Lighter discs go farther, usually with less effort, too.
The wind can be an issue, but for me a good wind-fighting mold will usually yield better distance than a much heavier disc will. Light discs are great for uphill shots too, but can be squirrely downhill. They love to glide, which can be good or bad, depending on the shot.

I carry these ( all 150 )

Champ Firebird
Champ Valkyre (x2) -my go to driver especially in a tailwind or uphill drive. My longest drive was with this disc! 420+ with a gentle tailwind.
QOLF 1.1- this disc is more stable than my 172 Star Destroyer! I have no worries throwing it into a headwind.
CE Leopard
DX Beast - Great for hyzer-flips
R-Pro Boss
KC Pro Gazelle

I also have a 150 DX Roc, but I haven't thrown it much. I prefer my mids to be in the 170-180 range.

All of my faster stuff is 150. I started using them a couple of years ago when I broke my shoulder. Now I can't see using anything heavier in a driver. With lighter drivers are comming out I'm tempted to try those.

volklgirl...
Have you always used 150 class discs, or have you tried using heavier discs? I use drivers mainly mid 160's, but have also been throwing 150 Teebird & Cheetah. Do you thow 150 class in your approach & putters as well? By the way, I'm a woman, but never a wimp:)

Hmmm... a little about myself... I am 5'3'' and 130lbs... so you can imagine what kind of power structure I might have. I got into DG because I played Ultimate without alot of guys who played. That said, I started playing throwing 175g discs, because I thought that the weight being similar to Ultimate discs. THen someone told me that Unless I could consistently bomb 270' (my average drive is like 220-240, based on my stride) I could throw lighter, and so earlier this summer I tried my first 150g, which was an R-Pro Boss. I didn't exactly shatter my distance record, I've gotten to 270 more consistently. But I do have to say that driving longer distances was much easier, and I had WAY more control of my discs.

The 150s I have in my bag

Gateway Illusion
Gateway Blurr
R-Pro Boss

I do think that 150 may be TOO light for me, or maybe I am just beating my these discs too fast, but I find myself turning over the Boss even with hyzer. But the control I developed throwing lighter discs has allowed me to throw my heavier discs almost as far. I think 160s will be the happy medium for me..

those are just too fast and overstable for someone driving 270, to get the real flight out of those discs you should be throwing 400+, i would reccomend maybe like a 160 teebird or leopard

The only 150 class disc I've thrown (it's still in my bag) is the Flick. I have trouble throwing heavier Flicks, but love the 150. I can rip it flat, and it just flies straight and finishes with a big skip. It is more affected by the wind than the higher weights, though so plan accordingly.

I have a Z Flick in 150gm that I can't do a thing with thrown sidearm. It cuts really hard, really fast!

Don't be afraid to put everything you have into it. I didn't realize how great a disk it was until I did. It really does need a lot of snap to make it work. If you can't figure it out, I'd be happy to trade you something for it. I like them in ESP but not as much as Z.

I use a 147g Archangel on 1 hole that's a cliff teeshot over a creek with a dogleg right. It works pretty well with no approach and just a little flick of the wrist.

Latest posts