• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

18 holes or 9?

Locally, Wagner and Starr Jaycee are 18 Tees / 9 Baskets, but both have been listed as 18 hole courses since cavemen we're playing.

Some of the fairways are pretty different, some aren't, and a few are completely different, but I still think they're niners.

They get pretty busy, too, so it's not unusual to have to wait for another card playing from the other tee, to avoid throwing at players.
That's how you know it's a niner.

Yeah, the examples I gave both have 18 teesigns, but if the current litmus test is that, I guess they will stay that way on the site. There is clarity that it is 9 baskets so that is something. The only issue really is if one is searching by # of holes, some extra courses may show up, I guess that's not the worst thing in the world...

are the tee signs numbered 1-18? that's Tim's real litmus test, for now anyway

They are, but they are in some cases 50' apart with almost identical lines to the pin. Feels...dirty calling it 18 holes.
Agree calling some of these 18 holes feels wrong.

Maple Hill would be what, 90 holes? :)
are the tee signs numbered 1-18? that's Tim's real litmus test, for now anyway

Since Maple Hill Tee signs only go 1-18, it would only be considered 18 holes, per Dread's post. There are a myriad of different layouts you can play that 18 holes, but it's still 18 holes, and calling it 18 just feels right.

As David said, one size doesn't fit all. Some courses really do have unique situations that don't fit in a standard check box, but those are relatively few and far between.

The important thing is to list courses so it's not misleading to the traveling player. I'm not saying travelers are more important than locals. Locals have far more impact on how a course develops, ages and evolves... everything. But it's far more important for traveling players to have good information about courses, so they can plan accordingly.

If you live within an hour or so of a course, how it's listed (as well as what it's rated or what people write about it) really isn't going to affect your decision making. Eventually, your gonna play it, and figure things out for yourself.

But most folks don't want to burn vacation time, plus $ for gas and lodging, to be underwhelmed by a course. Not because the course is underwhelming through any fault or shortcoming of the course on it's own. You feel underwhelmed because the listing/review/rating was misleading. When expectations are set and not met, it's usually disappointing.

Conversely, someone could play the same course, and come away with a totally different feel about the experience, if they went in with more accurate expectations, because those expectations were met.

Last edited:
This is an excerpt from my post on Playability (#3786) in the Movement in Top 10 thread. A playability rating would be a way to identify courses with more than one skill level route within a set number of holes. In other words, a 9-hole layout with one tee and two baskets per hole could have a Playability rating close to an 18-basket course with a single tee per hole based on how different the routes were on each of the 9 holes to different baskets.

"I've been developing a new parameter called Playability that ranks the quality of the tees & targets provided for the number of skill levels being served in the permanent layout. For example, a course with two quality tees and two quality baskets would theoretically serve four different player skill levels at the same time. Its Playability score is somewhere between 3.5 - 4 based on the quality of the baskets and teeing areas. At the other end of the scale, a course with one tee, one basket and one alternate anchor on each hole might rate up to 1.5 Playability if everything is top notch."

The important thing is to list courses so it's not misleading to the traveling player. I'm not saying travelers are more important than locals. Locals have far more impact on how a course develops, ages and evolves... everything. But it's far more important for traveling players to have good information about courses, so they can plan accordingly.

Agree! I think the most important bit is making sure the listings are clear and up-to-date. In my local area I don't really care if a course has 24 holes and 24 baskets, 18 tee pads playing to 9 baskets, or 11 nondescript areas of dirt playing to 6 pole holes - I'm going to go check it out, and update the listing if needed. But when I'm travelling those listings, along with the reviews and any photos, etc. may be the data I use to plan up to an entire day of my vacation. Having clear and current listings is key when travelling. Having the number of holes and number of baskets as two different fields in the listings helps that clarity, in my opinion!

Attachments

• Baskets 9.jpg
    Baskets 9.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 9
This may have been discussed, if it has, please link if you remember the thread name...

For course posting/reviewing purposes, what should the following courses be called?

A) 9 baskets, two teepads per basket, fairly similar flight paths--think long and short tees on a typical hole. Maybe 40-80' difference between them.

B) 9 or 10 baskets, but the holes play totally differently--the teepad for 11 is near the basket of 9, and plays back toward 8's basket, 12 teepad near the basket for 8, plays to 7's basket, etc. Basically the course plays backward.

2x9 Holers imo. Or 18x9 for 18 tees x 9 Baskets.

Neff's Valley by me is an example of one. I like the course but I don't bother with the second set of pads as they aren't different enough. Of course, this is a totally open course so YMMV.

If you think about it, multiple tees are no different than courses that have Amateur/Intermediate/Pro tees to one basket, other than the line changes. A course that does that by me is Anson B. Nixon Park where they have 2/3 tees each hole (trajectory changes sometimes) and even a choice of multiple baskets at times. They still just call it an 18 holer rather than a 92 holer or whatever (I once counted all the basket and tee permutations).

In the end, it's probably better to be thought of an upscale 9 Holer with multiple options than a disappointing and fake poser "18 holer".

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3643

Last edited:
I played a course today Carterville baptist church in petal MS. 8 baskets but listed as 18 holes with a tee sign for each hole. Holes were all very different but there's no way for a bunch of groups to play at one time. lots of crisscrossing

Latest posts