• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] 182.9 gram disc

breynnmike

Birdie Member
The Gateway Karma I recently purchased weighs 182.9 on my digital scale. What's the limit for weight? I thought 180 was the standard as far as high end.

Many discs are over approved max weight. I once bought a Star Destro that scaled at 179, really useful :| As no events(that I'm aware of) are currently scaling palyers discs, I'd say not to worry too much and throw what works for ya.

Weight depends on diameter. You can check the specs of the disc on the pdga site and see maximum weight.

21.7cm is the diameter of the Roc and just happens to = 180g as max weight on the max weight scale. Innova made a TON of 21.7cm diameter discs (Cobra, Stingray, Viper, Shark, Raven, etc.) in the 90's and people thought the max weight of these discs was THE max weight. Discs like the Element/Scout/Karma/Mystic/Warrior have a larger diameter so they are legal to higher weights.

IIRC, 200g is the upper weight limit regardless of diameter.

I wouldn't worry about small differences from the PDGA spec sheet. Since no tolerance is given on any of the specifications nearly every disc in existence is technically out of spec.

IIRC, 200g is the upper weight limit regardless of diameter.

I wouldn't worry about small differences from the PDGA spec sheet. Since no tolerance is given on any of the specifications nearly every disc in existence is technically out of spec.

No. A disc cannot exceed 8.3 grams times the diameter. A 21.7 cm disc cannot exceed 180 grams. A 21.1 cannot exceed 176. A lid or a Condor could be 24.5cm in diameter but then camnot exceed a max of 200 grams rather than the 203g that you get multiplying 24.5 x 8.3.

No. A disc cannot exceed 8.3 grams times the diameter. A 21.7 cm disc cannot exceed 180 grams. A 21.1 cannot exceed 176. A lid or a Condor could be 24.5cm in diameter but then camnot exceed a max of 200 grams rather than the 203g that you get multiplying 24.5 x 8.3.
That's what I meant, I just worded it wrong. There's a limit with respect to diameter, but 200g is the max no matter how large the diameter gets.

Latest posts