• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1990 WFDF Championships or Wasted time in my life I'll never get back

Three Putt

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I found this footage on Youtube. It is ESPN coverage of the 1990 WFDF Championships.

Part One If you look closely you will notice that Randy Lahm wins the distance challenge throwing an Eclipse!
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five Disc golf is included in this part.
Part Six Discathon, MTA and Freestyle...all together. I guess they wanted to combine all the really lame stuff!
Part Seven

After watching this, I have to admit...Frisbee sports look LAME! If I was a traditional ball and stick sports fan I would have laughed out loud before quickly changing the channel. Instead I watched the whole thing cringing in horror at how lame the whole thing looked.

At any rate, there is a bit on how they make Frisbees at the start. I don't think Innova drops the discs on the floor when they come out of the mold, but you can get the jist.

Wow you're not lying ... what little I got through hurt both my eyes and my mind.

lol i fell asleep watching part 5
If you didn't watch part six, you don't know how horrible it can get. :eek:

I never got freestyle. People jam all the time and that is fine, but add a partner and music and it just becomes...cheesy. The great thing about part six is that it has the cheesy freestyle bit, and it's the least lame segment on that part. Freestyle just cant compete with Discathon and self caught flight on the cheesy scale.

WFDF events are the successors to the old IFA events. IFA (International Frisbee Association) was a part of the Wham-O marketing department. The idea was to open new markets by promoting the Frisbee as sports equipment. In order to do that, you had to have actual competitions using Frisbees. Some legitimate sports like Ultimate and Disc Golf were greatly enhanced by the idea, but to fill out the days schedule at these Track & Field-inspired IFA events they had to come up with other events to fill the time. The answer was contrived events like Discathon and MTA.

Disc golf was actually an infrequent game at IFA events becasue you need to set up a course and it took a lot of time to play. A lot of events didn't go to the bother of including disc golf. However, it was the IFA money that made the PDGA possible. The early PDGA did not need to worry about having enough prize money to support "pro" disc golfers becasue all the early "pro" disc golfers were Frisbee guys making a living off Wham-O through the IFA.

At any rate, the WFDF is still around I think, but without Wham-O's money and promotional know-how it's not the big deal that it was in the 70's. At any rate, these kind of events are where we come from. Disc golf started out pretty much as just another cheesy Frisbee event at the contrived IFA events. Pretty funny, hun?

One thing I'll give the old Frisbee days over todays PDGA...chicks love to Frisbee. You get a lot more women at WFDF-type events than you do playing disc golf.

I think I just lost some years on my life....Although I did appreciate their hair and outfits! Epsidode 5 was inspirational. = )

If you make it all the way to part seven, they make no attempt to hide the fact that by far the most popular part of the whole competition was the canine exhibition. After three days of Frisbee freaks, the dogs steal the show!

Oh, I forgot to mention...when this was done in 1990, the U.S. Open Flying Disc Championship was a much, Much MUCH bigger and more prestigious title to win than the PDGA World Championship. Guys like Scott Zimmermann and Stefan Karlsson were much bigger back in the day than any PDGA Champion. Amy Bekken won the Women's PDGA title in 1990, and it wasn't even listed on her bio. The six straight WFDF titles she won sure were, though.

How many of you can name the Men's U.S. Open Flying Disc Championship overall champion from 2008?

I got to attend and compete in the 1992 WFDF Overall Championship. When I read that it would be in Ft. Collins, Co, I knew that was close enough for me to make. One of the best times of my tournament traveling career. A whole week of being around Frisbee players! I got to partner with a guy from Norway for the Freestyle and DDC portions. Great times! And the Ft. Collins area is really cool, lots of stuff to do.

Latest posts