• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1m from OB line - where can I stand?

I missed part of #3. The line of play is a straight line from the basket, through the marker, and then through the lie.

My understanding of the OB rules is there are four separate things that need to be done in order.

1. Mark a spot inbounds perpendicular to the OB line not further than 1 meter. At this point, it doesn't matter where the basket is.
2. Determine Line of Play. This is not necessarily the line you are going to throw on. It is the line to the basket.
3. Take your stance with one supporting point in the lie (20 cm wide by 30 cm deep). All other supporting points must be behind a line drawn where the "box" meets the marker...that line goes left and right indefinitely.
4. All supporting points must be inbounds.

As explained above, the bolded part in 3 is incorrect. It's a circle, not a straight line. The picture just before your post shows this. Practically speaking, it's almost never going to come into play. But if you had a lie just a few feet from the basket, the "circle, not a line" could actually be relevant. It would be a pretty unique hole if it really mattered though.

It's also worth noting that once the lie has been determined and marked, the rules pertaining to that lie are no different than any other time (AFAIK). There aren't special rules about valid stances that are affected by having gone O.B. So, to some extent, all of the talk about marking after going OB is irrelevant.

Rast:
Lines 2-4 pertain to every lie. Not just lies after an OB shot. I still think his post clarifies the process, because as you said, once the lie has been established, it's no different from any other lie.

You are correct that it's an arc, rather than a line. Perhaps he should have said "the line circumscribing the arc," but that's a bit wordy.

3. Take your stance with one supporting point in the lie (20 cm wide by 30 cm deep). All other supporting points must be behind a line drawn where the "box" meets the marker...that line goes left and right indefinitely.

As Rastnav and Bogey mentioned, the above wording does not exist in the rule book. It sounds more like an easy way to explain it to somebody without getting into a giant arc and radius length from target to marker disc. Below is the actual wording copy and pasted from the rule book.

"If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:

Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
Have all supporting points in-bounds."

Rast:
Lines 2-4 pertain to every lie. Not just lies after an OB shot. I still think his post clarifies the process, because as you said, once the lie has been established, it's no different from any other lie.

You are correct that it's an arc, rather than a line. Perhaps he should have said "the line circumscribing the arc," but that's a bit wordy.

I just thought that, given the previous back and forth which pointed out that "a line extending indefinitely" is not correct, and even a helpful picture showing a circle immediately previous, it was confusing to then restate it incorrectly.

My other point wasn't directed particularly at Bill's post. I agree that steps 1-4 are correct for the situation. I was more making the point that OPs question actually doesn't really have anything to do with going OB, as they are really just asking about what constitutes a legal stance from that lie. I hadn't seen anyone make that explicit point, so I thought it worth mentioning.

If you really want to hurt your brain going over the same scenario but instead of OB that area is area is designated by the TD as a casual relief hazard.

Specifically rule 803.02.A

A player may obtain relief from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, people, or any item or area as designated by the Director. To obtain relief, the player may mark a new lie that is on the line of play, farther from the target, at the nearest point that provides relief.

That scenario popped last weekend. Since the line of play is OB and there is no point farther from the target available.

If you really want to hurt your brain going over the same scenario but instead of OB that area is area is designated by the TD as a casual relief hazard.

Specifically rule 803.02.A

A player may obtain relief from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, people, or any item or area as designated by the Director. To obtain relief, the player may mark a new lie that is on the line of play, farther from the target, at the nearest point that provides relief.

That scenario popped last weekend. Since the line of play is OB and there is no point farther from the target available.

I think you are trying to say is that there is both OB and an area that allows relief, with the OB touching the relief area on the LOP?

If it was an area declared by the TD (for example a marked stinging insect nest), I think that could be dealt with by the explanation in QA-OBS-9:

A player taking relief from obstacles or from a Casual Area can move back along the line of play to the first available lie. What is the "greater relief" that the Director can announce?

Greater relief could be a drop zone, a re-throw, or the ability to move the lie. Relief (moving the lie without penalty)is granted for situations that are out of the ordinary, so the Director has a lot of leeway to deal with exceptional situations.

If it's casual water that is hard against an OB line, I have to think that happens on some regular basis (given that marked OB is frequently a wet area), but I don't know how it is dealt with.

Latest posts