• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] 1st run Icon Gauge thoughts and reviews

I've been a comet thrower for a long time but the gauge is making me rethink what to use for touchy upshot and finesse midrange drives. A bit faster than a comet but a fairly neutral flight for its speed. I found I liked ghosts because they seem a tick faster than rocs with very similar flights...could be a similar story with the gauge?

yeah the Comet was up there with Firebird/Zone in my bag for molds that were so unique i could never see them being replaced but oh how i love the Gauge..let me count the ways! When it was fist released i put it in over my Comet only to have the Comet kick it back out since i wasnt tossing it much (was trying to beat in Ghosts) but once i started giving it a real chance for the slot it ran away with it! It can honestly do a bit of everything and in a sneaky long way

I've been throwing Rocs since they were first made and now bag a Champ Roc3 for straight or turnover shots, and a Z hornet for the overstable duty. Those two are all I need.

Picked up an Icon Gauge at the store today (along with Icon Ghost and Rampage). Went with Icon on Gauge as holy crap, those Pinnacle Gauges were floppy as hell. I have a Pinnacle Ghost that's about the most rigid thing ever, even in warm weather (to say nothing of during the winter, BRICK-city), was thinking maybe the Pin Gauges would be somewhere close in terms of firmness, but if the Pin Ghost I have is BT Hard, those Pin Gauges would be BT Soft or even Megasoft, that's the sort of difference in those two discs/plastics. Pin Gauges were nicely seethrough, tempting for LED use, but don't like that much flex/bend in my discs.

So who tossing Gauges these days? I am loving mine. Currently throwing a 1st run Icon that is straight/slighty US and pairing it with a stock run Icon that is surprisingly stable. These discs do a little bit of everything for me.

What do you pair with your Gauges? I am searching for something that feels similar in the hand (beadless) but will hold up much better into the wind. I was considering an MD3, but I have never held on so I am unsure how they feel in comparison.

So who tossing Gauges these days? I am loving mine. Currently throwing a 1st run Icon that is straight/slighty US and pairing it with a stock run Icon that is surprisingly stable. These discs do a little bit of everything for me.

What do you pair with your Gauges? I am searching for something that feels similar in the hand (beadless) but will hold up much better into the wind. I was considering an MD3, but I have never held on so I am unsure how they feel in comparison.
MD3 isn't dissimilar, but it does have a small (tiny?) bead. rim of the MD3 otherwise feels quite similar, with near matching slopes above and below the wing. MD3 rim is a bit wider as well, or at least feels to be.

but if any sort of bead bothers you, I'd say try to get one in your hand before buying. and, btw, I just got my hands on the new DGA Quake... nice fat feeling rim and no bead. after one throw, might be chasing Verdict /MD3 from my bag. why do I try new stuff when I'm not shopping?!