• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 disc rounds - how to choose?

PMantle1

Eagle Member
Our little group of players will be having wednesday night minis. Two discs. I think picking 1 or 3 would be easy for me. Two has me confused.

Short course. Only two holes I can't reach in 1 with distance driver. So, I'm thinking no need for anything above 7. Do I use one slot for a putter? I have and like a Dart, so that could be both a mid and putter I guess. Anyway, instead of listing all my discs, let's just say I have something in almost every category.

How does one choose?
Putt with a mid?

Some combos I've considered:

Tracker/Meteor or Dart
Sentinel/Judge
Leopard/Meteor or Dart
Teebird or TL/Meteor or Dart

Thanks for your help.

I think the obvious answer is a Cheetah and Aviar...

This is really completely up to your comfort level with your discs and the course...

In my area there is a short course that I would probably play with a Spider and a Pure right now... Longer courses I'd probably take a FW Driver and a Putter.

One way to think of it since you seem to think 1 disc is easier: What would be your 1 disc round? Now what disc would compliment that 1 disc better than anything else and cover the holes that one would leave you on the course you're looking to play.

Or if you can think of a 3 disc round setup, which of the 3 discs could you give up easiest and cover its shots with the other 2?

I have neither a Cheetah, nor an Aviar. :lol:

I do have: Leo/Magnet, Magic, Wizard, Ion, Judge, Zone.

One disc, I'd probably go with Meteor or Buzzz. Going by that, I'd probably go with TL/Meteor.

I don't know every disc with it's flight characteristics, so I won't throw around with some disc names, but I would probably take your favourite putter (as long as it's not super over-/understable) and a straight driver (would be something like the TL for me).

Midrange is not really neccessary I would say. You might be able to just back down with the FD a little. Of course, if you have 9 holes where you throw the same Midrange, then take this with you. But most strokes are probably saved with your short game, so take your favourite Putter and get everything inside 150' in the basket in two and you should be fine :) At least that's what a newbie would do...

luma said:
I don't know every disc with it's flight characteristics, so I won't throw around with some disc names, but I would probably take your favourite putter (as long as it's not super over-/understable) and a straight driver (would be something like the TL for me).

Midrange is not really neccessary I would say. You might be able to just back down with the FD a little. Of course, if you have 9 holes where you throw the same Midrange, then take this with you. But most strokes are probably saved with your short game, so take your favourite Putter and get everything inside 150' in the basket in two and you should be fine :) At least that's what a newbie would do...

See? Cheetah and Aviar.. We all agree

I've never thought of just 2 discs. Like you say, 1 and 3 seem easy enough for me. buzzz and zone/buzzz/pd or voodoo/buzzz/pd.

for two i might be tempted to go with something that hasn't even earned a place in my bag, the tangent and pair that with a pd. yup. that's what I'd do.

what'shisname said:
go with something that hasn't even earned a place in my bag,
Funny you say that. I', leaning toward my TL, and I almost never throw it. It justseems like a great compromise since I'd get little use out of a destroyer.

PMantle said:
what'shisname said:
go with something that hasn't even earned a place in my bag,
Funny you say that. I', leaning toward my TL, and I almost never throw it. It justseems like a great compromise since I'd get little use out of a destroyer.
There are lots of great discs that might not work in some bags but would be great for certain situations like a limited # of discs round. Plus it's a great way to get to know a disc better that you don't normally use.

I actually like the two discs rounds quite a bit and saw some decent improvement in my game even after only a handful of rounds played this way. I like to go with a Roc3 and a Wizard. When I have my full bag I don't actually use my wizard to putt, but rather for upshots and the distance I lose off of the tee by just having a midrange forces me into shots I don't see all the time. I know I need work on standstill putter shots and this forces me into those shots, maybe 15-18 shots per round as opposed to say, 2-3 times per round...

I would go mid and putter as well. If the driver gives me an advantage on 2 holes then the Mid would give me and advantage on the others but maybe that's because I don't power down drivers as much as I perhaps should.

Wizard/teebird, if you're not used to powering down on a driver you may learn something new.

Unless you're super comfortable putting with a midrange then I wouldn't go without a putter. You're more likely to lose strokes by struggling with your putting than having your disc be a little too short or a little too long for a hole.

The Cheetah+Aviar thing is an obvious joke for this sort of thing but it's actually not a bad combo since it gives you a neutral putter and neutral-understable fairway driver. I was actually messing around just yesterday at the local pitch and putt (8 of the 9 holes are 265 or less) throwing my Amp on most holes and I got it dialed in pretty decently. It's longer than I would prefer for something like this and on a windy day I'd probably use a Gazelle instead but it works pretty well even on short holes.

Personally my thought process for playing with a small number of discs goes something like this:

1 - Midrange
2 - Putter and fairway driver
3 - Putter/Mid/Fairway-Distance tweener (like a PD)
4 - Putter/Mid/Fairway/Tweener (I don't typically throw anything faster than a PD, for those that do you'd change the fourth disc to distance)

Once I reach five things aren't so easy to decide on. I could go with another putter, a more under- or overstable mid or fairway, or even a XXX.

JimW said:
Unless you're super comfortable putting with a midrange then I wouldn't go without a putter. You're more likely to lose strokes by struggling with your putting than having your disc be a little too short or a little too long for a hole.

The Cheetah+Aviar thing is an obvious joke for this sort of thing but it's actually not a bad combo since it gives you a neutral putter and neutral-understable fairway driver. I was actually messing around just yesterday at the local pitch and putt (8 of the 9 holes are 265 or less) throwing my Amp on most holes and I got it dialed in pretty decently. It's longer than I would prefer for something like this and on a windy day I'd probably use a Gazelle instead but it works pretty well even on short holes.

Personally my thought process for playing with a small number of discs goes something like this:

1 - Midrange
2 - Putter and fairway driver
3 - Putter/Mid/Fairway-Distance tweener (like a PD)
4 - Putter/Mid/Fairway/Tweener (I don't typically throw anything faster than a PD, for those that do you'd change the fourth disc to distance)

Once I reach five things aren't so easy to decide on. I could go with another putter, a more under- or overstable mid or fairway, or even a XXX.

I agree with your thought processes here... oh and I was only HALF joking about the Cheetah and Aviar :p

PMantle said:
Still not sold on carrying a putter.

The only way I wouldn't carry a putter is if I had a mid that I was truly comfortable putting with, and most mids don't putt for crap for most people. The added distance you will get from a mid over a putter (which for a lot of people isn't much) isn't going to help you too much if you are missing all your putts because you're trying to putt with a mid.

That's basically the thought process going on there. I don't think I could play a round without a putter. My one disc round would probably be with a putter but I've always liked driving with putters. If anything I may go with a Spider, but they're more putter like in feel than most mids so I can get away with it some. I'm still not sure I'd hit any putts over 10ft consistently with it though.

But if you can putt with your mid and not feel like you're going to miss too many putts that you would have otherwise thought you would hit no prob, then go for it.

I can putt pretty well with either a Meteor or a Buzzz, but I don't know if I can putt well enough for this. Mini is this afternoon. If not raining at lunch, I may play a quick 9 with TL/Meteor, then another with Leo/Judge or Dart or Aero just to see. I can throw an Aero pretty far. Other putters - no idea as I never drive with them.

Latest posts