• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Am Worlds--Emporia KS ???

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Looks like they are making a strong push to host Am Worlds next year. Saw this on the live awards ceremony today. The PDGA is visiting with the C&VB tomorrow.

The twin cities area in Minnesota is also doing the same, id much rather see it there.

If it involves using ball golf courses - I, for one, hope they say no. Any city can start using their local ball golf courses for temp-play courses to draw business and tourism to their area. Instead I'd like to see more actual DG courses in an area that hopes to bid for a chance to host a major event; give something to the sport instead of leeching it for tourist cash and a brief spotlight on your town.

HIGHBRIDGE HILLS, WI. I know they hosted the worlds in 2007 but they've added new courses and by this year they will have a total of 10 courses spread over 300 acrs. Its the largest disc golf complex in the world, and they even use golf carts to travel through the amazing courses. The night course is a must see,and I havent even mentioned the Honka house!!! For those who have not seen it, do yourself the favor and take the roadtrip!

HIGHBRIDGE HILLS, WI. I know they hosted the worlds in 2007 but they've added new courses and by this year they will have a total of 10 courses spread over 300 acrs. Its the largest disc golf complex in the world, and they even use golf carts to travel through the amazing courses. The night course is a must see,and I havent even mentioned the Honka house!!! For those who have not seen it, do yourself the favor and take the roadtrip!

From what I hear the guy that owns Highbridge does not want to run World's there again.

If it involves using ball golf courses - I, for one, hope they say no. Any city can start using their local ball golf courses for temp-play courses to draw business and tourism to their area. Instead I'd like to see more actual DG courses in an area that hopes to bid for a chance to host a major event; give something to the sport instead of leeching it for tourist cash and a brief spotlight on your town.

While I would agree with you on the use of traditional courses I challenge you to find many local municipalities that are eager and willing to turn their ball golf courses over to disc golf for any amount of time let alone a week or two. You said anyone can do it....but the fact is many are not for a variety of reasons.

As for leeching and giving something to the sport you must have no clue the history of DG and the city of Emporia. None.

First off it's stupid to even say you can leech from disc golf. It's like a dry well. This sport needs more blood before any municipality can start leeching it dry. Yeah the city is looking for tourist dollars and that's why they are willing to deal with the upfront costs and the headaches involved with doing it. You're not going to find some city that says "hey we don't want people coming or spending money in our town we just want the tourney" That's stupid. You don't have to swear off financial success just so you appear to be doing it for the love of the game.

Back in 1985 when Emporia put in their first disc golf course they weren't hoping to get rich or bring in big tourneys they wanted a fun way to give the citizens a place to play a new game. You won't find many cities that size in this state that took to disc golf sooner. It was a unknown in the midwest in 1985. Since then they've added more courses by better designers with better amenities and hosted a great event each year. If you think it was just a coincidence that one little small town in Kansas gave birth to one of the best tournaments, a world champ, and the largest disc retailer in the country you're naive. This town has embraced the sport over twenty years and if you think that was all one long con just to get a few tourist dollars you're a fool.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
From what I hear the guy that owns Highbridge does not want to run World's there again.
Wow! Don't know why, Seems like that kind of attention would be good for not only business but the sport as well. He has quite the operation under way. Only wish I owned a place like that! One day!

While I would agree with you on the use of traditional courses I challenge you to find many local municipalities that are eager and willing to turn their ball golf courses over to disc golf for any amount of time let alone a week or two. You said anyone can do it....but the fact is many are not for a variety of reasons.

As for leeching and giving something to the sport you must have no clue the history of DG and the city of Emporia. None.

First off it's stupid to even say you can leech from disc golf. It's like a dry well. This sport needs more blood before any municipality can start leeching it dry. Yeah the city is looking for tourist dollars and that's why they are willing to deal with the upfront costs and the headaches involved with doing it. You're not going to find some city that says "hey we don't want people coming or spending money in our town we just want the tourney" That's stupid. You don't have to swear off financial success just so you appear to be doing it for the love of the game.

Back in 1985 when Emporia put in their first disc golf course they weren't hoping to get rich or bring in big tourneys they wanted a fun way to give the citizens a place to play a new game. You won't find many cities that size in this state that took to disc golf sooner. It was a unknown in the midwest in 1985. Since then they've added more courses by better designers with better amenities and hosted a great event each year. If you think it was just a coincidence that one little small town in Kansas gave birth to one of the best tournaments, a world champ, and the largest disc retailer in the country you're naive. This town has embraced the sport over twenty years and if you think that was all one long con just to get a few tourist dollars you're a fool.

Cool to hear the back story here. I might consider coming if it ends up in Kansas.

Peoria wanted to turn in a bid but the PDGA never responded to our multiple requests for the RFP.

Myself and the V&CB called and emailed many times to get this and we got the same response every time: "We are still putting the RFP together."

We started that process in October......and no resolution six months later.

I'm in Georgia and hope to find out Wednesday what's going on getting the RFP template completed so sites can bid for Majors in 2013, 2014 and beyond.

Wow! Don't know why, Seems like that kind of attention would be good for not only business but the sport as well. He has quite the operation under way. Only wish I owned a place like that! One day!

He already hosted worlds there once. Did not have a positive experience. Does not want to do it again.

You won't find many cities that size in this state that took to disc golf sooner. It was a unknown in the midwest in 1985.

Well, I wouldn't say it was unknown in the Midwest considering the first Kansas City Wide Open was in 1982..

I enjoyed this weekend in Emporia for how little it was. Everyone was very welcoming to everyone from out of town. Wish I played earlier in the morning so I could've got a round or two at Peter Pan. I have mixed feelings about playing on ball golf courses though. I hope they don't become a trend everywhere.

I'm in Georgia and hope to find out Wednesday what's going on getting the RFP template completed so sites can bid for Majors in 2013, 2014 and beyond.

Thanks Chuck - feel free to PM me when this happens. Thanks!

Well, I wouldn't say it was unknown in the Midwest considering the first Kansas City Wide Open was in 1982..

I enjoyed this weekend in Emporia for how little it was. Everyone was very welcoming to everyone from out of town. Wish I played earlier in the morning so I could've got a round or two at Peter Pan. I have mixed feelings about playing on ball golf courses though. I hope they don't become a trend everywhere.

I was fast typing and left out "relatively unknown". But KC is a metro plex with over a million people. For a town of less than 30k to have a quality course installed in 1985 outside of California it was a pretty big deal. It was another ten years or so before other towns started to do the same in the area. By then there was already an Emporia Disc Golf Club holding tourneys and selling fund raiser discs.

I don't have a dog in this race. It's the town I grew up in and currently reside so I care about the happenings of it but I'm not going to fight over having worlds here. I'll gladly keep my little prairie town and courses to myself and never have to wait on a teepad but I'd like to see Emporia lose to another town for the right reasons. Not a bunch of assumptions and incorrect statements.

Ball golf courses are great I think for a temp course and tourney use at times. I wouldn't want to play them daily or make them a staple in my tourney but it is what it is.

Bummer you didn't have time to play Peter Pan. I hope you at least got some decent food. We have a few decent eateries and some not so decent.

I was fast typing and left out "relatively unknown". But KC is a metro plex with over a million people. For a town of less than 30k to have a quality course installed in 1985 outside of California it was a pretty big deal. It was another ten years or so before other towns started to do the same in the area. By then there was already an Emporia Disc Golf Club holding tourneys and selling fund raiser discs.

I don't have a dog in this race. It's the town I grew up in and currently reside so I care about the happenings of it but I'm not going to fight over having worlds here. I'll gladly keep my little prairie town and courses to myself and never have to wait on a teepad but I'd like to see Emporia lose to another town for the right reasons. Not a bunch of assumptions and incorrect statements.

Ball golf courses are great I think for a temp course and tourney use at times. I wouldn't want to play them daily or make them a staple in my tourney but it is what it is.

Bummer you didn't have time to play Peter Pan. I hope you at least got some decent food. We have a few decent eateries and some not so decent.

We played a few holes of glow out there on Saturday night, but it was pretty hard to find some holes since we never played before. As far as food, I didn't find anything really good. My friends would tell you that the Pizza Ranch is the best thing ever though lol

We played a few holes of glow out there on Saturday night, but it was pretty hard to find some holes since we never played before. As far as food, I didn't find anything really good. My friends would tell you that the Pizza Ranch is the best thing ever though lol

ew...pizza ranch? I'd put that as my worst pizza place in town. Check out verona grill next time. It used to be just Pyramid Pizza but now they have a classier menu and pasta. You really have to ask the locals about the food situation. Otherwise you'll never hear of The Wagon Wheel bar and grill, or Bobby D's BBQ, Bruffs, etc. Peter Pan course can be tough to navigate the first time. One of my only complaints of that course is better signage. Glad you had an ok time.

Any of you with discs in the ponds at Jones might be getting a call today if you inked your discs with numbers. Two divers already out there looking to make some cash in these troubled times. :D

Latest posts