• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Pro Worlds at Lemon Lake

Most people know golf. Even if you take par out of it, the numbers look bad. Everybody knows that a 59 in golf is a crazy good score and has happened very few times. Then Paul shoots a 39 at the memorial, a premier event. Sure, we all know he went crazy on that round, but people look at that and get a bad image of disc golf. And his 39 wasn't even that much better than Schusterick's 43(45), and Will didn't shoot amazing that day. It would be nice if there was a par 72 course that was designed where scores in the mid 60's were very good, just like golf. But then, the best of the best would shoot in the mid 60's every day, which never happens in traditional golf. The scores can fluctuate 10-12 strokes on the same exact course. With putting as easy as it is for the guys on top, the scores are never going to fluctuate that much, leading to lower total scores.

:wall:
public = potential spectators
spectators = sponsors/advertisers
sponsors/advertisers = media attention
so...public = media attention
hmmmmmmmm

please, show someone who knows nothing of disc golf the scores and explain the game to them....let me know what their reaction is...until then you have nothing to stand on

Yep. I've told someone recently about a tournament where i shot 11 under par the second round. They said, wow that must have been a course record. I said no someone else shot 13 under the very same round. *silence* "Must be pretty easy i guess..."

I am all for making harder courses and higher scores, because I just love throwing discs. If I have to throw 72 instead of 54 to get par, that is 18 more moments of glorious joy. Woo hoo! :hfive:

With that said, who gives a crap if there is one more person who thinks our game looks ridiculous. Most people have never even heard of disc golf, and of those who have, most already think it is a ridiculous sport. It's probably better if we just quit worrying about what uninformed people think.

LOL! yep, who gives a crap what uninformed people think, they've never heard of it anyway! I want great disc golf coverage, but I don't want anybody other than the 2,000 people currently watching to be able to watch it with me!

UN
BE
LIEVE
ABLE

well then lets address the real issue here: we have a "world championships" with 300+ players in lots of different divisions ranging from the highest rated player ever to a 774 rated senior legend. all of which have to play maybe not the same courses, but courses nearby to one another. If it was a tournament to just determine the true world champ, there would be one division and ideally all players would be 1000+ rated, thus courses could be designed for worlds just for this high level of player.

when worlds stops being a frisbee convention, and starts becoming the top tournament of the year this might change. but until then worlds courses will have to suit all players, not just the elite few (like ball golf tournaments do)

You make it sound like the only reason there aren't clusters of super gold appropriate courses is because our tournaments include lower level players. The real answer is that it's hard to get that kind of course installed, and it's especially difficult to convince a parks department that they should put in multiple courses catered to a tiny portion of the population when an intermediate level course is more accessible to families and the general population.

Also, the top players show up to Worlds anyway. I don't really see how having other, less skilled players takes away from the top 20 or so guys who really have a chance to win whether or not those other players are there.

:wall:
public = potential spectators
spectators = sponsors/advertisers
sponsors/advertisers = media attention
so...public = media attention
hmmmmmmmm

please, show someone who knows nothign of disc golf the scores and explain the game to them....let me know what their reaction is...until then you have nothing to stand on

Do you have any sort of data to back up the assertion that par is what's keeping disc golf from having spectators or attracting advertisers? That's a pretty big leap to say that our scorekeeping is the silliest thing about the sport or that it's even a contributing factor to disc golf making a better participation sport than a spectator sport.

mike raley with a silly good fourth round in grandmasters.

can somebody familiar with hidden lakes put that forty four in perspective for me?

on a note about the actual tournament, i just saw moser shot a great round to pull onto the lead master's cars. Go mike!

To ian: yes, masters at 2 buddy!

sweeeeeet.. glad we get to see the masters... woot woot alright, thanks buddy :hfive:

Also, the top players show up to Worlds anyway. I don't really see how having other, less skilled players takes away from the top 20 or so guys who really have a chance to win whether or not those other players are there.

as one of those lower rated pros (980) I don't think it takes anything away..but I am not the one complaining about the best players ever shooting -10 or better either. I'm just making an observation that worlds courses have to suit a very wide range of players, and if we wanted to see rounds near par for the top players then they would probably need to play course(s) suited specifically for them.

Do you have any sort of data to back up the assertion that par is what's keeping disc golf from having spectators or attracting advertisers? That's a pretty big leap to say that our scorekeeping is the silliest thing about the sport or that it's even a contributing factor to disc golf making a better participation sport than a spectator sport.

sometimes man....:wall:
if you look at the thing i quoted he said it was response to him saying the public doesnt matter. it had nothing to do with par.

the second part was back in relation to par being a bad image...and asking him to see it for himself. but if you look back in the pages i have expressed my two biggest concerns many many times....basket target zone and the pDGAs inability to market the sport well.

as one of those lower rated pros (980) I don't think it takes anything away..but I am not the one complaining about the best players ever shooting -10 or better either. I'm just making an observation that worlds courses have to suit a very wide range of players, and if we wanted to see rounds near par for the top players then they would probably need to play course(s) suited specifically for them.

Agreed. but Worlds is a beast of its own. picking courses that specifically suit the best should be reserved for the NT imo.

3 Prodigy players and a McBeast tackling the Gold course this afternoon on the lead card.

When birdies are so commonplace that everyone's getting them, they lose their wow factor. I don't think the ridiculously low scores are the silliest thing about the sport, but they certainly don't make disc golf look like a sport, which implies a level of difficulty. How difficult does disc golf look when the best of the best destroy a course and birdie almost every hole?

we are talking about <.01% of the disc golf player base.

Exactly. It makes no sense for any club or park district to design a course that will produce a close to par number for the 1030+ rated players.

The reality is that the vast majority of the best tournament courses we have are best suited to Blue level players (935-975 ratings). If we look at the FPO scores, the courses being used this week suit them perfectly (at least in relation to Par).