• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Rules Changes

I feel stupid now, because obviously I was assuming the 2 meter rule was in play, when that was never stated in the question, knowing fill well that the 2 meter rule is not in effect, unless specificly stated. My thinking was that the height of the disc was only relevant, if the 2 meter rule was in effect. I actually don't think it's a bad question after all then, even though it is kind of a trick question.

Chuck Kennedy said:
....the question relies on players knowing the default is no 2m rule...

Right, but you don't know whether the 2m rule is in effect. Incomplete information. Maybe it should also say that the TD did not declare the 2m rule in effect, then you can actually answer the question.

It's like asking an arithmetic question for kids: Peter spent 22 cents on candy, how much money does he have left?

It's unnecessary because 2m is only an option. You don't worry that a tree is a mando unless specified, right?

Chuck Kennedy said:
It's unnecessary because 2m is only an option. You don't worry that a tree is a mando unless specified, right?

It is an option, which is very often invoked. Especially in these parts.

That's why it's a good "trick" question so your NorCal players understand the basic rule, not just the option they're familiar with.

Chuck Kennedy said:
That's why it's a good "trick" question so your NorCal players understand the basic rule, not just the option they're familiar with.

We still have to know whether or not the 2m rule has been invoked, in order to answer the question. Or at least an indication that the question would at least be kind enough to state that the 2m rule is in effect, if it were, indeed, in effect.

No, you just have to ignore the "20 feet up" part of the question, just like you have to ignore "four minutes have elapsed" -- both are red herrings and neither is relevant under the normal PDGA rules.

JHern said:
It's like asking an arithmetic question for kids: Peter spent 22 cents on candy, how much money does he have left?

It's only like that if in the instructions to the kids earlier it said "Unless otherwise specified, all characters start with a dollar."

^^^Virtually the same as the orange disc in the diagram I made. Both are acceptable routes.

Chuck Kennedy said:
No, the mando is not completed in diagram 9.

Thank you Chuck. Did you write that in a hurry?
Is this your rule?:" When a throw makes mando and returns later across the made Mando line OR the missed Mando line the mando must be made again". Please note that you have accepted case number 10.

Yes, case 10 is fine according to the rule. As long as the route of the disc stays continuously around the made mando side, crossing the missed mando line from the opposite direction does not matter. This has already been discussed in an earlier diagram like 10.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Yes, case 10 is fine according to the rule. As long as the route of the disc stays continuously around the made mando side, crossing the missed mando line from the opposite direction does not matter. This has already been discussed in an earlier diagram like 10.
So, this is the rule I should not teach any more:" Once the Mando has been made the Mando does not exist any more. If the disc does not return across the made Mando line. "?

There really is no "made mando" line that means anything any more because your disc flight routes must remain around the "made" side of the mando until you have holed out regardless whether you crossed the "made mando" line once.

Star Shark said:
Any shot taken from behind the mando must make it on the proper side, even if that's been done on a previous shot.
Than you Shark. There has been confusion if the Mando line is the line going around the world or just half of it. Like in diagram 10. How do you think of it?

Simeon said:
Star Shark said:
Any shot taken from behind the mando must make it on the proper side, even if that's been done on a previous shot.
Than you Shark. There has been confusion if the Mando line is the line going around the world or just half of it. Like in diagram 10. How do you think of it?

For a single mando, I tend to think of it as an infinite line perpendicular to the layout of the hole. Another way to view it is that the line would be "no nearer to the basket" than the mando's location. Double mandos are easier to figure, obviously.

Star Shark said:
Well said.
We should rewrite the rules so everyone can unserstand. Offical Rules of Disc Golf for Newbies.

Simeon said:
Star Shark said:
Well, I still need clarification.
Is the second shot in diagram 10 taken from behind the Mando or behind the made Mando line or..? Is this route correct according to your thinking?

Latest posts