• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 - A Retrospective

OlyWA Kenobi

Birdie Member
First of all; Happy New Year, DGCR!

Personally, 2014 has been an incredible year in Disc Golf for me! I've learned, and often re-learned, so much about things I thought I knew about pertaining to Disc Golf. It's kind of humbling, and I'd like to share:

1. This is the year I retired the thought that in order to throw farther, I needed to throw a faster disc. In early 2014 I put away the Bosses and Katanas, and put the Destroyers, Orcs, PDs, and most importantly the Starfire back in my bag. Recently, I've taken all but 1 Destroyer out of my bag. And I really only use the Destroyer as a utility/headwind disc.

2. Went to an all Innova bag. My bag basically was all Innova (and Discmania), but my Mids were all Discraft. My Mids were built around an old Z Wasp. I had a few rounds were I couldn't get a grip on the Z plastic (thanks, PNW rain), so I switched it out with a KC Pro Roc. Obviously the Roc became money! And so all my Mids were replaced with Rocs in various stage of wear, except for the occasional Mako3 (before the DX Rocs were laser straight) and a Gator (which I've always bagged). The Wizard was a hard one to give up, but the Yeti made it easier (and the Yeti is more readily available around here than Wizards).

3. I learned to throw with a 4 finger power grip! I know, I know... I'm stubborn. I started playing Disc Golf in 1995. From 1995 to 2014 I mainly threw with a 2 finger grip. I always felt that it allowed me to have a lot of control. And, admittedly, I was fairly successful for years playing like that! I tried 3 and 4 fingers, but always felt I lost the control I was looking for. After a few weeks of forcing myself to standstill throw, which I had told myself I couldn't do, and had to learn after being called out on numerous Stance Violations, I learned to throw a consistent standstill throw. I was sure that if I just practiced enough, that I would be able to learn a 4 finger power grip. I can happily say that I was right, and that I probably extended my Disc Golf playing life by being able to achieve the same throws and distance without having to throw so hard. It's also made me more accurate (not initially, but over time), because I could slow my throwing motion down and really concentrate on hitting the line.

4. I fell in love with G*Star plastic, and then hated it, and then re-loved it. Basically, I fell in love with it last Spring when it was still cool out. The plastic felt great, and the DX/Pro glide that it provided, made it easy to really like. Then Summer came and I felt like all my go-to G* felt like goo. I started bagging Champ and Star. Then Fall hit and my Champs and Stars started to have slip-outs. I found the G*, and the grip/glide combo, made it easier for me to throw without having to throw hard, which meant I didin't have to worry about falling down from slick tee boxes and lies. *the one constant through the seasons has been that I've bagged a G*Star TeeBird since they've come out*

5. I learned how to drive with a Putter. On shorter holes I used to power down a Mid. Now I feel comfortable pulling out a Putter. Field work is a great thing! And I just found my 2 favorite driving Putters yet; Discmania's P1x (STRAIGHT SHOOTER) and RDG's Scale (Overstable/Reliable workhorse, plus that Fossil plastic is money *might want to change the name to Fo$$il*)!

6. I re-learned how rewarding it is to do projects that engage people. In 2009, a small group of us started Mason County Disc Golf in WA State. Our purpose was to bring Disc Golf to our area. My role as Club President was to advocate for Disc Golf to Parks Depts, and also to provide Disc Golf events for the growing Disc Golf community. What started as a way to get Disc Golf in MY area, quickly became wanting to see new Golfers become Disc Golf advocates themselves, by showing the value of Disc Golf and how to be of help to the Disc Golf community. After a few years, I relinquished my role to move out of town and to focus on career/family. This year I was fortunate to be able to find a role in the Mason County Disc Golf community; I approached the local, successful Pro Shop and Club about doing a few Disc Golf events throughout the Summer and Fall. These events were geared towards the fringe players that don't normally play in Leagues or PDGA events. The hope was to show the value in participating in an organized event, and the hope that many would make the next step toward bigger organized events, and more importantly, and becoming advocates of Disc Golf. Again, what started out as a way to get some weekly events in the area, quickly became about creating role models and advocates for the Disc Golf community.

6. After a year of semi-competitive play, I am looking forward to 2015. I am planning on renewing my PDGA membership, and playing in some tournaments! #37669

How was you 2014? What did you walk away with? What are you looking forward to in 2015?

TL;DR
Basically, 2014 was another year of growth in Disc Golf for me. Profound at times. And I'm curious how it was for you.

Well 2014 is when I was introduced to the game, so that was huge. Since then ive been bitten by the DG bug. I now play 4-5 times a week and constantly finding new things to improve on, do differently and what not. So 2014 looking back in a disc golf sense was a great begining. Here's to hoping it continues into 2015 and I continue to improve/learn new things, along with my love of the sport growing.

My biggest take away from 2014 was speed across the pad does not mean increased disc speed. This year (2nd year playing) I finally slowed myself down and smoothed my form out. Getting my rating closer to where I want it (currently 954). Going into 2015 I hit an ace on my first throw of the year so I am very excited to see where this year takes me.

Here's to hoping it continues into 2015 and I continue to improve/learn new things, along with my love of the sport growing.

My biggest take away from 2014 was speed across the pad does not mean increased disc speed. This year (2nd year playing) I finally slowed myself down and smoothed my form out. Getting my rating closer to where I want it (currently 954). Going into 2015 I hit an ace on my first throw of the year so I am very excited to see where this year takes me.

Anytime anyone asks me for advice, especially on something they are trying to learn, I always advise to learn slow. Learn the basics, and the "why" it works. Once you have a handle on that, then add speed.

FIRST THROW = FIRST ACE OF 2015!!! That's incredible!!! Awesome start, dude!

Latest posts