• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thanks disc golf

TheWorst

The last time I played ball golf was over 10 years ago, it was the first time I had played in 2-3 years and I hit my first hole in one playing with my dad, uncle and cousin.

I have always loved golf, even before I actually got to play in high school I loved golf video games. The game itself is wonderful.

I could never afford to play ball golf as an adult. Throwing discs might have a steeper learning curve than swinging clubs, but I got my game back. For the price of a single golf club I can get a stack of identical discs for fieldwork and backups.

I also would rather meet the biggest asshole on a disc golf course rather than the coolest guy at the ball golf course any day of the week.

Thank you disc golf. Dont go changing.

I played a lot of ball golf, then I discovered disc golf, and I played both for 7 or 8 years. Eventually I drifted away from BG and even got rid of my clubs. I haven't swung club in at least 10 years now but I play around 6-8 rounds of DG per week and have been for some time. DG seems so much more rewarding.

I'm not sure I'd rather meet the biggest a-hole on a DG course, though. I've seen a few, and they're more or less the same everywhere.

I tried ball golf a couple times. I have some friends and family that play. Didn't care for it. I would rather throw the ball than try to hit it with a club!

I played 25 years of BG, more than half in tournaments at duty stations up and down the east coast. I won one single player event 30 years ago (cash under the table) in my area Suffolk, Va, but a ton of team events. A single digit handicapper, on an occasion could break par. 20 years ago, a strained rotator cuff declining the surgery lost 50 yards off tee, no longer competitive there goes tournament play. 14 years ago blew an Achilles tendon a year of rehab, gave away my clubs, didn't like the thought of trying to get some type of game back. I really missed it until................

I'm grateful to stumble upon disc golf almost 4 years ago, it has filled a void, not missing ball golf at all now. I didn't think the rotator cuff in my throwing shoulder or my Achilles in my plant foot would last, but I'm still here, no pain in either, but can feel numbness after a few rounds. Even in 2020 when I played about 575 rounds, all was good, couldn't get enough of disc golf.

The New World Disc Golf complex in Jacksonville that McBeth won the event last fall, used to be called NAS Cecil Field my second duty station. I think the ball course is still called Fidler's Green. Watching the event, the past few years brings back lots of memories, strange watching disc golf where I once chased a ball. The disc golf 18th fairway, I was once chased by a 3-legged alligator, glad I was sober enough to run away from it. With the beer cart girl, beer machines once every few holes, a bunch of drunk sailors and marines in team events. I bagged a lot of cash at club events, about a 300-member club, and lost some cash. Whenever I make it to Florida again, my first course bag will be at New World.

Incredible memories in ball golf, not long enough in Disc Golf yet, but I'm making them with new friends on the local courses. I'm happy to be where I'm at now, and don't have to worry about the cost of fitting my bag. I just recently had a ball golf friend that I've known for quite some time, we get together often, he's getting ready to retire, and has asked me again about the fun factor and the cost. I think he's going to be my first convert.

All my life I just did not have any interest in ball golf. I played 9 holes once in my life and never went back. However, the first time I walked by some disc golfers in my local park, I was drawn to it. Went out and bought one disc and started throwing and I've been hooked ever since. And I agree, most every one you meet playing disc golf are very good people.

I played 25 years of BG, more than half in tournaments at duty stations up and down the east coast. I won one single player event 30 years ago (cash under the table) in my area Suffolk, Va, but a ton of team events. A single digit handicapper, on an occasion could break par. 20 years ago, a strained rotator cuff declining the surgery lost 50 yards off tee, no longer competitive there goes tournament play. 14 years ago blew an Achilles tendon a year of rehab, gave away my clubs, didn't like the thought of trying to get some type of game back. I really missed it until................

I'm grateful to stumble upon disc golf almost 4 years ago, it has filled a void, not missing ball golf at all now. I didn't think the rotator cuff in my throwing shoulder or my Achilles in my plant foot would last, but I'm still here, no pain in either, but can feel numbness after a few rounds. Even in 2020 when I played about 575 rounds, all was good, couldn't get enough of disc golf.

The New World Disc Golf complex in Jacksonville that McBeth won the event last fall, used to be called NAS Cecil Field my second duty station. I think the ball course is still called Fidler's Green. Watching the event, the past few years brings back lots of memories, strange watching disc golf where I once chased a ball. The disc golf 18th fairway, I was once chased by a 3-legged alligator, glad I was sober enough to run away from it. With the beer cart girl, beer machines once every few holes, a bunch of drunk sailors and marines in team events. I bagged a lot of cash at club events, about a 300-member club, and lost some cash. Whenever I make it to Florida again, my first course bag will be at New World.

Incredible memories in ball golf, not long enough in Disc Golf yet, but I'm making them with new friends on the local courses. I'm happy to be where I'm at now, and don't have to worry about the cost of fitting my bag. I just recently had a ball golf friend that I've known for quite some time, we get together often, he's getting ready to retire, and has asked me again about the fun factor and the cost. I think he's going to be my first convert.
I got my 16 year old son playing - started as something outside that we could do together when a park where we frequently went hiking put in a course…. Then I converted my nephew, who had played a few times years ago with his dad. Nephew works a lot, but we now have a standing Friday morning round, the three of us, often joined by a friend I met on the course. Still beginners, 3 months in, but having a lot of fun and gradually improving, two steps forward, one back. I usually play at least 2-3 times a week, and practice most days that I don't play. Love playing putting games with my MVP Black Hole Pro, and driving at a baseball park a few minutes from home. Maybe like studying and buying discs even more than playing - it's addictive!

I play regular (ball) golf once every 5 or so years. Last few times have been with a few old friends from high school. I don't take it seriously at all. Just an excuse to hang out and have a bunch of laughs.

I never got my own set of clubs, so I use the set my dad had (he gave up golf in the late eighties). For a long time all of my woods were actually made of wood. Then I cracked the Johnny Miller Classic driver and replaced it with a more modern club. The 3 and 5 woods are still the wood clubheads though. I also upgraded the putter becuse my old man's putter was just a straight blade (like the billy baroo from caddy shack, but with a steel shaft). I keep it in the bag and bust it out occasionally for laughs. The two guys in that group that are fairly serious golfers definitely get a kick out of my antiquated equipment.

Even if I was good at it, I can't imagine being as into regular golf as I am into dg. Dg is just so much more fun, with the variety of shot shapes and the laid back vibe.

I got my 16 year old son playing - started as something outside that we could do together when a park where we frequently went hiking put in a course…. Then I converted my nephew, who had played a few times years ago with his dad. Nephew works a lot, but we now have a standing Friday morning round, the three of us, often joined by a friend I met on the course. Still beginners, 3 months in, but having a lot of fun and gradually improving, two steps forward, one back. I usually play at least 2-3 times a week, and practice most days that I don't play. Love playing putting games with my MVP Black Hole Pro, and driving at a baseball park a few minutes from home. Maybe like studying and buying discs even more than playing - it's addictive!
I will have played 4 years next month. I take my 9-year-old grandson with me on an occasion. The first time three years ago I gave him my first bag, and a few Starlite Roadrunner's a few days before, when I pulled up on course day he came running out of the house, not even wanting to give me time to say hello to his mother, and little brother, it was priceless. He's now making par's on short par 3's, badly wants his first birdie. His sport is basketball, so with my DD Recruit Lite we play Horse. I now play twice a week two rounds per day and have field practice 4-days if good weather 20-30 minutes. Addictive, yes, after my rounds this morning stopped at PIAS and picked up my 4th backup Fission Wave and have a Philo Star Destroyer on the way, need to get ready for high wind play in a few months.