• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Goals

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Well 2013 was an interesting year for me . . . I did a lot of things I wanted to and some things I did not plan on . . . I travelled a lot in WI and got to within 9 courses of having played everyone in WI. I hit 93 courses within 31 days on a roadtrip in winter which only ended short of 100 because of the 34" snow storm that hit the Northeast. I played 188 total courses in 2013 (up to 648 total) but only one PDGA tournament. I did get my rating back up to its highest point . . . 915 . . . because for the first time ever I had a round that was significantly different (841) enough to drop from the calculation. I have maintained my average of 18 holes per day since I started playing disc golf on 1/1/2009 (5 years to the date). I somehow managed to open a disc golf store ( The Disc Barn on Facebook www.facebook.com/TheDiscBarn ) when some office space came open where we rent for our landscape business. Here are my upcoming plans for 2014, some are personal playing goals, and others are goals for my business. Feel free to comment with your goals and lets work together to encourage each other to accomplish them!

1) Continue to maintain an average of 18 holes per day for my disc golf career. Sitting at 32996 total holes played (18.08) in 5 years which was a .19 holes per day drop from my high of 18.27.

2) At some point during 2014, I want to see my highest PDGA rating above the 915 level I am currently at. I would also like to see a few rated rounds in the 960+ range since I know I am capable of those rounds.

3) I would like to be involved in a minimum of 5-10 disc golf course designs or consultations. I have a couple projects that were already started that I would like to complete in 2014, but I am looking for 5-10 more opportunities.

4) I would like to have set shop hours for The Disc Barn that will allow the general public an opportunity to just drop in to browse, where I am currently operating on a "By Appointment Only" schedule.

5) I would like to get a minimum of 9 mini disc golf holes laid out on The Disc Barn property. It may be using baskets twice for the time being, but there will be some tree trimming to accomplish this and I will have to sell my landlord on having this as an option on the property.

6) I would like to hit at least 100 courses again in 2014 although my annual winter road-trip will only be 2 weeks and I will not be as able to travel around WI like I was this year, but I will be looking for more 1 day road-trips to IL as well as a few other weekend trips to new locations.

7) I would like to run more 1 day fun tournaments and a few other ideas, where this past season was focussed more on leagues (2 nights a week all summer, fall, and winter, with 1 in spring). That was a lot of effort to pull off, but I can definitely see at least 3-4 more weekend events.

8) I would like to take and pass the PDGA official's tests so that if an opportunity arises to run a PDGA tourney I am ready. I know it probably isn't that difficult, but I need to motivate myself to learn all the rules and prepare to take the test.

I might come up with more ideas for goals as my business progresses, but for now those are some of my personal goals as well as goals for the business.

What goals are you setting?

I want to increase my drive distance. Currently maxing at 300'. I feel pretty good about the rest of my game, I just can't throw very far.

Also I would like to keep myself from choking on putts! I sometimes nosedive my putts and it drives me crazy because I am on target just not quite exactly!

And I would like to get better at forehand :)

I got three:

1. Get an ace somewhere, as long as it's over 200 feet it's good in my book. Seven and a half years and I'm still waiting.

2. Find some consistency with the short game. I'm trying a new technique with my Rhyno and so far, I'm more inconsistent than the Republican party.

3. Find a backup driver to replace my Monster, which is now so beat up I can't throw it backhand to save my life. It has become a good anny driver so at least it can stay in my bag.

Hyzer New Year to you all from Bahston!

Andrew

My goals for 2014 are fairly simple:
Establish and learn a repeatable, consistent BH throw.

I am fairly good at getting out of trouble and saving par - most of the time. But I make so many bad throws that I don't make enough Birdies to offset all the Bogies.
In order for my game to progress, I need to be more consistent with my backhand throw. It is also part of my goal that I can understand this throw well enough to diagnose problems and correct them.
My backhand is just "okay" now, but some days I am dialed in and some days I can't keep it straight.
Got be able to hit that gap and make that line. This is the year to make that happen.

I took a bit of Christmas money and bought a little handheld camcorder.
Very impressive; takes 60fps at 720p.
I filmed a round of play and found out two things.
1. The camcorder is a wonder of clarity and simplicity.
2. My throwing form SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, gotta work on the throwing form.
That's my goal for 2013. After 5 years of playing, this will not be an easy task, but it MUST happen.

On a happier note, my putting form is actually pretty good.

This is my list of goals from 2013.
So little has changed...:wall:

I still need to get a course played in a tenth state, I'd like it to be Base camp adventure in Utah.
I'm at 149 courses played but 10 are/were unlisted so I'd like to get 11 new (listed) courses played.
I've got a private course so I'm planning on getting it dialed this year. Part of that is buying a Mach 5 to complete my collection of baskets. Mostly it will just be a lot of trimming.

I think I speak for most everyone when I say....

I need to be more consistent in my putting.

If I could putt, I could win tournaments. I just have no confidence in the clutch for the 30 fters. Surely practice would help here but with my limited time to play, I'd much rather hit a round. Hopefully the course put in two minutes from my house will give me that easy trip to practice slamming chains.

My goals this year are a little more difficult to map out than last year. I'm moving to PA halfway through the year, so that's going to be a blessing and a curse. More new courses (+) but a lot further from flyboy (-). I accomplished most of my goals from last year, so here's what I'm thinking for this year.

Reach Platinum Ace status on DGCR.
Improve my 20-30' putts.
100 courses played
3 tourneys

2014 Goals:
- Improve stamina and consistency.
- Compete in a higher division (Advanced Masters).
- Improve rating up to around 875
- Promote the game in the state of Indiana.
- Meet a lot of new people and have fun!

My goals this year are a little more difficult to map out than last year. I'm moving to PA halfway through the year, so that's going to be a blessing and a curse. More new courses (+) but a lot further from flyboy (-). I accomplished most of my goals from last year, so here's what I'm thinking for this year.

Reach Platinum Ace status on DGCR.
Improve my 20-30' putts.
100 courses played
3 tourneys

Well, looking back on 2014, I had a pretty successful year. I made it to platinum ace status (currently at 31), I've improved my putting out to about 40', so that's a MAJOR win, and I managed to fit in 4 tourneys.

My big downer is that I didn't make 100 courses. I'm beginning to realize that that goal is a little bit harder than I thought. I might make 90 courses in 2015, but until I move again (which could be as early as May) I'm not going to get a bunch of new courses.

I really like having the goals thread because then at the end of the year, I can go back and evaluate my game based on tangible objectives.

So, how did the rest of you do?

In 2014 I believe I improved my putting and really tightened up my technique and consistency. I also was obsessed with fixing my driving form and I still am, so next year I hope to finalize this effort.

My putting is pretty solid except for those longies. My next trick will be making those long putts. I am torn between learning how to jump-putt or just throwing a shot like I have been doing. It's a tricky range for me.

I also managed to lose a record number of discs this year. Let's see if I can remember them all... Tursas, Tangent, Teebird (some nice alliteration there)... and I think that's it. Three. For the sad record, two of those were on the same day (Tursas and Teebird)! Still upset about these losses.

Apparently I wrote down my goals but did not post them here. 2014 goals and results:

1. Stay healthy
2. Stay healthy
3. Stay healthy Done, done, and done
4. Hit 350' consistently BH. Further would not be unwelcome, but I would be happy with a consistent 350'. Getting closer but not quite there yet.
5. Throw FH without injury. Bonus: re-learn to throw 300' FH. No injury – yes. Bonus distance – sadly, no.
6. Get rating solidly > 900 Did not play any tournaments, so no change to the rating. I hope to start playing tournaments again in 2015.
7. Stop working late so I can play more during the week. Yes! I now work near Seneca Creek, so I can play at lunch or evenings during the week.
8. Play at least one new course out of Pinchot SP, Tyler SP, and Iron Hill. Yes, barely. I played went to Pinchot SP today and played Quaker's Challenge and Boulder Woods.

Took a few months off to deal with non-disc golf stuff, but still a pretty good year!

Latest posts