• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 event ideas

chalos13

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Looking for ideas for 2015 events, this year we did:
Trilogy Challenge
Birdie Bash
Ace Race
the Ace Race was kinda the least fun, and we are looking for something like this to add to the list or replace the Ace Race. Are there other demo style events like this? I saw the Dynamic Two Disc Challenge, but I'm curious if other companies do events like this. It's easy to get a new guy to come to an event that kinda levels the playing field by handing out a brand new disc.

These are not sponsored events but we enhanced some weekly competitions with setup limitations.
-Single manufacturer bag.
-150-class
-wider than 22cm discs allowed. (Condor was awesome)
-bag change with random competitor. Each bag had playbook for mandatory disc of the tee and throwing style. 2nd round was played with own bag and playbook you created.
-eclectic. First round played normally. Second round you try to play better than first. better score stays for each hole. stop playing hole, if you can't play it better. Third round like second. After three rounds best scores are calculated.

Surprised to hear about the ace race. We did the legacy ace run this year instead and people really seemed to enjoy these events over the trilogy challenge and birdie bash. Mvp may have something in the works for this year. Nothing has been confirmed.
We did a "busted bracket this year". Players played 12 holes. Then were assigned spots. Best player got top seed. People really seemed to enjoy playing head to head. We had quite a few upsets

Also prodigy announced a possible event last week. It's being done in Cali as a trial but looks like it could become something for 2015.

Yea I think Prodigy is starting something called Par2, which seems to be their version of these style of events.

We've run the Mulligan Stew event near St. Pat's day for over 20 years now. Players get an optional mulligan on each hole which they can use to rethrow one shot on the hole. If they throw a mulligan, they put a dot on the scorecard. Least number of mulligans used is the tiebreaker for final ranking players with the same actual score.

We've run the Mulligan Stew event near St. Pat's day for over 20 years now. Players get an optional mulligan on each hole which they can use to rethrow one shot on the hole. If they throw a mulligan, they put a dot on the scorecard. Least number of mulligans used is the tiebreaker for final ranking players with the same actual score.

I am upset by the timing of this event because I loved this tournament but it was always on the same day as my sons' Cub Scout Blue and Gold. They moved that scouting event this upcoming year, so hopefully I can attend the Mulligan Stew this year.

My wife and I didn't care for the Birdie Bash. We both enjoyed the Legacy Ace Run (I think it is the Battle of the Aces, now). I enjoyed Legacy's more than Discraft's, not really sure why. I want to do the Trilogy Challenge, someday.

Surprised to hear about the ace race. We did the legacy ace run this year instead and people really seemed to enjoy these events over the trilogy challenge and birdie bash. Mvp may have something in the works for this year. Nothing has been confirmed.
We did a "busted bracket this year". Players played 12 holes. Then were assigned spots. Best player got top seed. People really seemed to enjoy playing head to head. We had quite a few upsets

for us it felt like the long range drive wasn't suited for an Ace Race, and the other events with a variety of discs was more popular with our group.

The two disc challenge was a lot of fun, I've played in more than one. Our club will likely host one next year. This year we did the Trilogy Challenge (60 people) and Discraft Ace Race (50 people). The Trilogy challenge was more popular, as I think the Discraft disc was not well suited to the purpose this year. I think superclass tournaments are cool, as well as a bring your own two disc challenge. Also agree that glow events are awesome. Putting competitions or 21 tournaments are another option.

Also prodigy announced a possible event last week. It's being done in Cali as a trial but looks like it could become something for 2015.

I don't know about Cali, but Will Schustrerick is coming to The Nati Disc Golf in Cincinnati, OH on Nov. 9th for a clinic and a Par 2 event. If you are in the area you need to register by this weekend to play the Par 2.

I don't know about Cali, but Will Schustrerick is coming to The Nati Disc Golf in Cincinnati, OH on Nov. 9th for a clinic and a Par 2 event. If you are in the area you need to register by this weekend to play the Par 2.

Sorry it as cin. I saw it wasn't close and didn't read closely. But that was the event I was meaning lol.

Throw a Super Class Event! Bust out the Jorts and shave that beard down to a mustache, keep it super classy. Shorten the course and have a blast.

Ace Races were/are more fun when the disc isn't a driver. Birdie bash is more exciting if you have a good course for it. (short/technical)

I've heard of clubs hosting "one and done" tourneys where a single disc is selected for an entire round. If you lose it, you're done! This might go well with a Buzzz vs. Roc event - only use the midrange of your choice (and maybe a putter). Scores can be tallied from singles or entire teams to see which disc is superior!

I also like the idea of a tombstone event. A par 54 course would work well - each player gets 100 throws. The player that makes it through the most holes wins. In the event of a tie at 99, I suppose it would all come down to longest drive or CTP...

There's an ongoing winter series this year in the Portland OR area: the Gross & Nasty. If you've spent a winter in the Northwest, the series commemorates playing in the combination of wind, rain, & mud.

First round is random dubs, both players take the team score. Between rounds each player throws two discs at a squared off bullseye target: center ring is -3, then -2, then -1. Second round is standard singles play. Payout on your total score.

Buxton Woods runs the "Bull of the Woods" tournament, where round one plays from the even tees to the next odd basket, and round two plays from the odd tees to the next even basket. Mandos are set up to create fairways.

Latest posts