• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 PDGA Amateur World Championships

Not for Masters, looks like you need 250 pts for Adv Masters.

Not sure about multiple invites but I imagine if you qualified for two different divisions you could register for either one off the one invite.

In the year you turn 50, you qualify for Grand Masters, even if the event is before your 50th birthday.

In the year you turn 50, you qualify for Grand Masters, even if the event is before your 50th birthday.

True, same thing applies to Masters the year you turn or will turn 40. But he was asking about qualifying for both Divisions, Masters and Grandmasters, with 75+ points.

With more than 75 points, I think I would actually qualify for both masters and grands. Do I get an invite for both?

If I am reading the point system correctly from the PDGA, then Masters need 250+ points while Grandmasters require 75+ points.

There is only one invitation to Worlds. Yes, you earn an invite according to your age-division and its minimum criteria, but once you're in the door, you're in.

Whether you get to move to another division (e.g. moving from MG1 to MM1) depends on space availability after the June 5th deadline. If there is room in MM1 after that date, you can shift from MG1 (even with less than 250 points). Based on recent years, the chances of there being space at that point are low.

You get invited into all divisions you have enough points for and also qualify for based on age and sex. For example, if you get enough points to get invited into Masters, but are also over 50, you would get invited to both Masters and Grandmasters.

The year i turned 50 i did not get an invite to the grandmasters division but got 1 for the Masters. Because you can't earn grandmasters points the year before. So, unless something has changed... if you turn 50 in 2015 and earn enough points you will get an invite to the Masters division only.

The year i turned 50 i did not get an invite to the grandmasters division but got 1 for the Masters. Because you can't earn grandmasters points the year before. So, unless something has changed... if you turn 50 in 2015 and earn enough points you will get an invite to the Masters division only.

There's no such thing as "Grandmaster points" or "Masters points". There are only Amateur points or Pro points.

The PDGA office now looks at everyone whose age will move into a new bracket each year to determine whether they qualify for an invite for their new age bracket.

The PDGA office now looks at everyone whose age will move into a new bracket each year to determine whether they qualify for an invite for their new age bracket.

Why? If as a 39 year old player, someone earns 260 points, then shouldn't he get an invitation as an MM1 since he turns 40 in the year of that Worlds? How is his 260 points different from a 46 year old who earned the same number of points?

Seems like the MM1 invitation should be something that happens without any special effort for the 40 year olds the same as a 42 or 48 year old.

As I understand the current process, the PDGA only invites you based on your points earned in relation to the minimum needed for the age bracket you will be in during that Worlds year. You cannot enter a younger/older (Juniors) age division, even if you had the minimum points earned to qualify, until the date that you are allowed to enter divisions other than your baseline age bracket.

However, you may also be able to enter Open/Advanced, respectively, right away if you had the minimum points needed and will not be in that baseline age range of 20-39. For example, I don't think McCray has to wait to enter Open even though his age is over 39.

Last edited:
Too late to edit: Scratch my post above. Looks like you can get an initial invite in several divisions if you are older and have the points. Here's the invite list for 2014 Pro Worlds.
You can see several older players with up to three division invites.
Same thing for 2014 Am Words invites

That's interesting. If the division you earned the Am points IN doesn't matter, seems like I might have gotten more than just an invite for MG1 the last couple of years (pdga #52442: 1632 points in 2013, and 573 points in 2012) but I didn't. Just for MG1. :\

But it's OK. It's nice to get the invite at all, and I plan to play in MG1 this summer if I can. I can't imagine keeping up at all in MM1 or Advanced! Oh, and I'll finish 2014 with over 2000 Am points. :thmbup:

It does seem like it. Oh well, I'm not an insider, I'm just inferring rules from last year's Am Worlds invite list.

Registering for u13 JR. I am turning 13 this march, so I will be able to play in that division?
What time zone does the PDGA use for when pre-reg goes live?

MJ3 is <=13, so as long as you are 13 or under for the entire calendar year (and haven't accepted cash, of course), you can play in that division. Next year, even in February when you will still be 13, you'd be ineligible to play MJ3 in any tourney since you will be 14 that year.

Easy way to think about it is how old you will be on Dec 31st of each year ... that's the age that determines eligibility. This helps those of us eligible for the age-protected divisions get into the older divisions earlier, but also forces juniors to advance earlier.

MJ3 is <=13, so as long as you are 13 or under for the entire calendar year (and haven't accepted cash, of course), you can play in that division. Next year, even in February when you will still be 13, you'd be ineligible to play MJ3 in any tourney since you will be 14 that year.

Easy way to think about it is how old you will be on Dec 31st of each year ... that's the age that determines eligibility. This helps those of us eligible for the age-protected divisions get into the older divisions earlier, but also forces juniors to advance earlier.

Thanks for clearing this up! :hfive: Its awesome a march birthday helps me, in track it definitely didn't. :p

It works for me just the opposite: I will turn 50 in October, but am eligible to play MG1 all year!

Kimble Pines was wiped out from straight line wind damage. This Am Worlds is focused more on Kalamazoo versus including Battle Creek and Albion further east like 2008.

Would a junior be able to play in AM worlds, even without playing in a sanctioned tournament in 2014? Also, do juniors still have to complete the officials exam if they are able to play?

Latest posts