• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care whether his dad was involved, or whether the kid is on the Innova junior team.

When several adult men gang up to prank a 13 yr old kid on his birthday, in public, on camera, it raises serious red flags, so it's just not funny to most people.

If you're part of the inside joke then I can see how it would be funny, but 99% of people watching were outsiders, not in on the joke. So it came off making McBeth look bad, and he knows it, that's probably why he tried to defend it on Smashboxx later. I'm sure he doesn't want some fanboy to copycat this prank and hurt some 13 yr old.

I'm gonna stick my neck out more than I usually do, and usually I've got it out fa enough to get me in plenty o trouble. Thirteen isn't six, it isn't even ten. Most of the thirteen year old kids that hang out with my thirteen year old son are pulling pranks on people like this all the time. My son would have been seriously annoyed and planning on how to get pay backs, but he would not have thought "oh my Zues, they've jeopardized my life, I feel threatened." My son is the smallest kid in his grade, and would have laughed this off all the way to the point where he pulled Paul's McPants up to his ears. Then he would have said "oh man did I wreck you back!"

Done with the ignorance here, if people can't trust my word. Ask a TD if you know or anyone in the open field really.

"What happens if a player is absent for his turn of tee off on the 16th hole, a 30+ second countdown is completed, and the next in line is requesting to treat-off?"

According to PDGA what should follow?

Wow. You're really a piece of work you know that?

You know a bunch of the guys who have been replying to you are TD's right?

You are right, I stand corrected. I looked that up after I posted. Kinda a dumb rule.. A warning? I couldn't imagine a warning in ball golf. Anyways, I respect the cajones of McCray nonetheless. I met him once and he was super nice to me and my son. Chatted, signed an autograph, gave some tips to my son. Nice dude.

Not true. At PGA tournaments officials will frequently issue "warnings" to groups who are playing "slow". The issue here is no different. Btw, such PGA officials will not bother to issue such warnings to the last 2 leaders on a Sunday afternoon. Discretion is used there as it should be.

And by TD he also means certified officials.

Nothing to see here. Just some local open player who surprise surprise doesn't know the rules.

Done with the ignorance here, if people can't trust my word. Ask a TD if you know or anyone in the open field really.

"What happens if a player is absent for his turn of tee off on the 16th hole, a 30+ second countdown is completed, and the next in line is requesting to treat-off?"

According to PDGA what should follow?

Okay, I'll do that right now.

"Self, what happens if a player is absent for his turn of tee off on the 16th hole, a 30+ second countdown is completed, and the next in line is requesting to treat[sic]-off?"

Well, where is/was he? Oh, he stopped at the bathroom en route to the tee. Countdown is unnecessary since the applicable rule is 804.01 Excessive Time and a bathroom stop is a reasonable reason for not arriving at the tee with the rest of the group. If a 30 second clock is to be started, it should start after he has arrived at the tee per the terms of rule 804.01.

"What about assessing par+4 for being late?"

Not applicable since that rule pertains to being late to begin the round, not to begin a hole in the middle of the round.

Whew, so glad I asked a TD with over 15 years experience running PDGA events as well as an Open player with over 10 years as a pro. That was good advice.

No, it's not, this ruling can be referred to at anytime someone is teeing off and they are not present.

in golf, every time you end a hole, your round is effectively over until you start a new hole.
It could be referenced if it was a standalone rule and not a subset of the Beginning of Play rule. If that paragraph was broken out with a number or letter in front of it, then you might have a case.

I don't agree that any rule that is worded in a way that one person can make a crappy arguement No one agrees with is ambiguous or poorly worded. There are a lot of low percentage crappy arguements that nobody believes to be had, it doesn't mean a rule is poorly written. If 99% of players agree on a rule interpretation I don't understand why the rules should be rewritten to invalidate an argument nobody believes anyway. That's how you end up with incomprehensible rulebooks nobody can understand because they try (and fail) to cover every possible theoretical contingency.

Except Chuck provided a re-write that changed all of two words which would make it unambiguous. So you are wrong.

You guys would fail law school.

No, it's not, this ruling can be referred to at anytime someone is teeing off and they are not present. In golf, every time you end a hole, your round is effectively over until you start a new hole.

So you're saying Paul's round was over after Hole 16 which would in turn allow him to go to the restroom. His new round would not start until he arrived at Hole 17 then right? So by your own words the 30 second rule doesn't even apply here. Oh bless your heart Skinny.

Let me check with somebody in the Open division, paging JohnE McCray. :D

Where does it say it limits it to hole 1?

You're just trolling right Skinny? Trying to get a rise out of people? Do you call yourself McHater because you were next in line for the restroom and you peed yourself because McPants cut you? Should we call you McPeedHisPants instead of McHater? Just saying because your arguments make absolutely no sense, but you sure are getting a rise out of people on here :popcorn:

You guys would fail law school.

Dang it! You just crushed my dreams. I'm glad you told me this now, thank goodness I didn't have to spend all that money to find out for myself. Strangers on the internet give the best advice!

Not true. At PGA tournaments officials will frequently issue "warnings" to groups who are playing "slow". The issue here is no different. Btw, such PGA officials will not bother to issue such warnings to the last 2 leaders on a Sunday afternoon. Discretion is used there as it should be.
They typically issue warnings only if they have fallen behind the group in front of them and the group behind them is on their tail. Of course, the final group will not be pushed by a group behind them meaning the last group is unlikely to ever get a delay warning (unless the TV producer says they need to speed it up so they don't finish after the show deadline).

You're just trolling right Skinny? Trying to get a rise out of people? Do you call yourself McHater because you were next in line for the restroom and you peed yourself because McPants cut you? Should we call you McPeedHisPants instead of McHater? Just saying because your arguments make absolutely no sense, but you sure are getting a rise out of people on here :popcorn:
Skinny is clearly trolling. Surprised so many people didn't catch on.

I agree it would be more clear if this:

"This procedure continues on any subsequent tee offs for which a player is absent."

were tweaked to say this:

"This procedure continues on subsequent tee offs if the player continues to be absent."

I would say that your edit helps clarify, but it is unnecessary. The use of the term "subsequent" already includes "continues" in its meaning.
If the rule was "This procedure continues on any future tee offs for which a player is absent", then Skinny would have a point. Or "This procedure continues on any following tee offs" or "any other tee offs". But "any subsequent tee off" directly means "if the player continues to be absent".

But these are disc golfers we're talking about, so there's nothing wrong with redundant clarity.

I would say that your edit helps clarify, but it is unnecessary. The use of the term "subsequent" already includes "continues" in its meaning.
If the rule was "This procedure continues on any future tee offs for which a player is absent", then Skinny would have a point. Or "This procedure continues on any following tee offs" or "any other tee offs". But "any subsequent tee off" directly means "if the player continues to be absent".

But these are disc golfers we're talking about, so there's nothing wrong with redundant clarity.

SonicGuy: that's what I was trying to say earlier.

thank you for actually posting the links to the rules. I can't stand when people argue rules and don't have any backup, or even worse, have never even read the rules in the first place.

What I don't get it why Paul didn't just take his time, knowing that it would be a warning and he wouldn't have a problem finishing the round without it happening again

If I remember, Nate and his caddy told him as he was returning that he needed to get on the pad and throw as John was melting down. As rational as Paul is, I suspect he felt the pressure. It's also possible that he wasn't familiar with the rule either. I don't think I've ever seen it called before. He should have stepped into the box and said, sorry, I was getting my rule book out of my bag to check on thirty second violations.

You guys should check out the latest Smashboxx episode. Both Nate AND Paul talk and explain what was going down at that time. Paul mentioned he said something to Jon-E coming off the tee after his quick grab and throw but he would not repeat it...:popcorn:.

Also talked and explained about was the Cupcake incident, now that I heard all the situation, I don't feel so bad for the kid. His dad was in on it and was the lead smasher of said cupcakes.

I was definitely shocked when I saw that go down :eek:!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Olf0Cw5gjU

There is the link, somebody can embed it if they like :D.

Last edited:

I think the key to applying "the procedure" is that the group does not know that the missing player will ever show up. If so, then the rule might say:

"This procedure continues until the absent player joins the group and tees off on the group's current hole within 30 seconds of the scorekeeper calling his or her name."

Finally had a chance to watch the "incident". Holy crap is JM something else. How immature to start counting out load. Unbelievable a dude with a big Flava Flav sized cross around his neck would be so ridiculous. PM parking the shot was about as clutch as it gets.

side note: What's the deal with an over 40 dude wearing a doo-rag and baseball cap. AND, IF he and others truly want disc golf to go "big time", you can't expect to move spectators in line with the basket, but 50-100 feet away, from your line of sight. Dude is irritating, to say the least. And yes, I would say it to his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts