• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 State of Disc Golf Survey

abarker

Bogey Member
The 2016 State of Disc Golf Survey is now available.

Results from this survey provide valuable information for disc manufacturers, promoters, park and rec departments, and local governments.

Plus, there's more than $1,000 in prizes available for those who take it including backpacks and a portable disc golf basket.

Here's the link:

https://infinitediscs.com/blog/2016-state-of-disc-golf-survey/

StateofDiscGolf2016-1080x675.jpg

Done. That's a lot of questions but I think a good survey. Were the 2015 results made public and will 2016 be, at least to DGCR?

I believe that Infinite will do blog posts elaborating on specific stats like they did last year, though the information is definitely well dispersed through the community in different ways!

There needs to be some more flexibility in the thing. One example, most innovative manufacturer. Well, it depends on what you're measuring. Innova is a leader in new plastics, always has been. No one is really breaking the mold on new disc designs, no one. MVPs blended discs seem innovative, but really aren't significantly different than what has gone before except that they've really codified the non-domey disc option. Honestly, the most innovative companies in the sport right now are making bags.

In the past five or so years the most innovative items IMO are:

The universal flight ratings chart, Innova I believe (I know some retailers had universal charts, but innova made it work.

G star type plastics, my favorite is Latitudes Frost Line.

Development of the forehand as not just a good alternative to the backhand, but as equivalent to it (player contribution).

Backpacks

Mach 10 basket (although this truly was just another step down the non-drain through basket path.

Video with commentary - Thank you CCDG

Introduction of modern marketing to the sport. Personally hate this, but have to admit, I like seeing it for discs.

Overall done well and maybe improved over 2014.
Joined PDGA in 1990 but only had option to pick 1991-1995 or Before 1990 (which I chose).
I might have used the word "company" instead of "brand" on the questions pertaining to impact. I picked Discmania more for the impact of what they've done OTHER than their disc brand.

In the past five or so years the most innovative items IMO are:
There's two I'd like to add:

- DiscGolfPark concept
- Return to live TV (for a new audience)

About the survey, it seemed a little heavy on the "nerds" of the sport, and I'm aware it might be intended so. Don't know if some of the questions (particularly manufacturer popularity) would've been skipped with a different set of answers.

Last edited:
Tough poll for mixed baggers like me. Picking my favorite brand is like asking me to pick my favorite child.

Done. Would have like to have seen an open ended box asking 'How would you grow the sport in 2016?'.

I might have used the word "company" instead of "brand" on the questions pertaining to impact. I picked Discmania more for the impact of what they've done OTHER than their disc brand.

Same. discs, meh whatever, what they've done and what they continue to do to grow the sport though, huge.

Latest posts