• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Next Generation Disc Golf Top Prize: Car

Yeah Kansas has 3 locations and only 13 people registered so far. A part of me is wondering if people are waiting to see how many of the top level ams go then will decide whether or not compete

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

Yeah, a little premature to write it off. Some of the events aren't for 3 months or more. Around here, the events with a history of filling, fill quickly; the events without such history, slowly. And new events don't have a history.

I suspect courses and dates (relative to other events) will have a big impact. And they only need 54 to fill, not a real high bar.

Perhaps the biggest hurdle is, not being sanctioned, they're not on the PDGA calendar; in PDGA-heavy areas, word will get out more slowly.

I would guess that the regions closer to the national championship location will fill faster and have higher participation. Region 2 registrations are very low so far and I have a hard time imagining what the draw will be for those folks to come play in these. I would imagine those that are on nice courses will be better attended as well.

I am going off my normal club events. usually around half full after a day. We have six in now for next gen. La Mirada has 1. I looked, the most i found was 9, and a bunch had 1.
Dave and lat have to be nervous

I'm the TD of the qualifier in Princeton, WV, I had 15 after the first hour, guess you didnt look hard enough. WV isn't exactly a hotbed for disc golf. Now will I get a full 54 player field? Probably not. But I'm not deeming it unsuccessful just because some events are filling slow.

What I'm hearing from local players is there is a problem with the dates. While they love the idea and would love to play in my qualifier, they are skipping it because even if they get a spot to regionals the regionals is on a bad date. For example Region 2 championship is the same date as the Hambrick Memorial. Hambrick is a pretty big draw for wv players and they aren't gonna skip it.

What I'm hearing from local players is there is a problem with the dates. While they love the idea and would love to play in my qualifier, they are skipping it because even if they get a spot to regionals the regionals is on a bad date. For example Region 2 championship is the same date as the Hambrick Memorial. Hambrick is a pretty big draw for wv players and they aren't gonna skip it.

I think in general the format makes it a lot to line up and commit to if you want buy into the whole process. If you qualify in WV you have travel and hotel costs on top of the the $125 entry fee to play in regionals. If you finish in the top 8 of that you have plane tickets, hotel, care rental, ect to shell out.

At the end of the day that player will have spent enough money to put a decent down payment on whatever car they want.

if an event can get 40 local people who just want to play for the course, the players pack, or just the fun of it, and 10 who aspire to making the ne t level, it'll be fine.

if an event can get 40 local people who just want to play for the course, the players pack, or just the fun of it, and 10 who aspire to making the ne t level, it'll be fine.

$50 bucks to play against those 10 good advanced players for the fun of it seems pretty steep to me.

I'm not sure that I care whether it does well or not. When this was rolled out it was talked about as a big push to support amateur disc golf and I was pretty excited by the concept. As the details have been rolled out I have only been more and more disappointed.

This tour doesn't support am disc golf, it supports like... 6 amateur disc golfers. Everyone else that participates is just a Latitude 64 cash grab and funding for the car.

Why are the qualifiers one division?? You could easily have regular am tournaments with regular payouts and just have the advanced division be the ones playing for spots. What is in this for the 800-930 rated golfer? I guess they can pay $63 for an unsanctioned one day tournament and participate in the side bet silliness.

Understood. It doesn't have to appeal to everyone.....just a relatively few players.

I enjoy playing tournaments for the sake of competition. It doesn't have to be competing to win, just competing to beat as many people as I can. I'd consider playing a 1-day event with a 54-person division, if it were on a course I wanted to play. (One nice thing is that the 54-player cap should make for a good pace-of-play).

With an average of 2 events per state, it should be possible to get some people like me, some people who want to qualify for the regional---or even dream of a Soul---and have decent attendance. At least, in a lot of places.

But we'll see.

The decision to go non-sanctioned is a hurdle for them to clear; sanctioned would definitely have some attendance advantages.

I don't see it supporting am disc golf, so much as adding a new and exciting format for those Ams who are interested.

I find it strange chicagoland didn't get any tourneys. The tournament scene is huge with hundreds if not thousands of players.

I wasn't using the number of registrants as a barometer to tournament succes. Just was shocked how slowly local events are filling.
I do think it's a joke that they expect 875 rated players to donate 50 bucks for the pleasure of playing a random tournament with no prizes

In Region 1, where my event is located, there is one event that is currently at 51 of 54 spots. Another at 46, a couple in the 20s, most at least in double digits. My event got 12 players in the first hour registration was open. For the 12 events in the region, about 35% of the total spots are filled.

Again, less than 24 hours after registration opens, no one is or should be nervous.

You're missing he point. Region 1 is certainly doing better than most. Check 2, there are six events with 2 or less signed up.
The point is that people have realized this isn't a good value for the average player, which is ridiculous because that's who it was for originally

You're missing he point. Region 1 is certainly doing better than most. Check 2, there are six events with 2 or less signed up.
The point is that people have realized this isn't a good value for the average player, which is ridiculous because that's who it was for originally

I run an event that has filled the past 2 years, with a waiting list this past year.

We don't have 2 players signed up the day after registration opens. Or a week after, for that matter.

I doubt people have realized these aren't a good value, so much as haven't made a decision. Or even heard of it, yet.

I don't think the speed of registration is any reflection of its success, particularly a new venture.

I do think it's a joke that they expect 875 rated players to donate 50 bucks for the pleasure of playing a random tournament with no prizes

I would think TDs would be allowed to add extra prizes from local sponsors to the qualifiers so long as they don't conflict with official NGDG sponsors. –thats no joke! :doh:

Yeah Kansas has 3 locations and only 13 people registered so far. A part of me is wondering if people are waiting to see how many of the top level ams go then will decide whether or not compete.
Having two of the three events in smaller towns ain't helping matters.

And I wouldn't worry about our top level ams. We have a statewide points series where most events are unsanctioned and there are actual payouts, and such players can attend events on their schedules without having to plan out of state trips.

Last edited:
Having 2 of the three events in smaller towns ain't helping matters.

And I wouldn't worry about our top level ams. We have a statewide points series where most events are unsanctioned and there are actual payouts, and such players can attend events on their schedules without having to plan out of state trips.
I just meant local top ams

I just meant local top ams
That's who most people who play in KDGA series events are. Such people can make better ROI playing those events and flipping the plastic they win, than paying $48 for a player's pack everyone is going to have. If anyone wants to play in a NGDG qualifier, I wouldn't worry about making the top 12, as the top 20-25 might be good enough as several people will pass on their spots since all but the winner has to pay for the next level, at over $100, plus gas to Tulsa, plus a motel room.

Most Am players, even top ones, don't go that far to attend events unless it's a destination tournament, especially when there are other options available with less ancillary expense to deal with.

Last edited:
That's who most people who play in KDGA series events are. Such people can make better ROI playing those events and flipping the plastic they win, than paying $48 for a player's pack everyone is going to have. If anyone wants to play in a NGDG qualifier, I wouldn't worry about making the top 12, as the top 20-25 might be good enough as several people will pass on their spots since all but the winner has to pay for the next level, at over $100, plus gas to Tulsa, plus a motel room.

Most Am players, even top ones, don't go that far to attend events unless it's a destination tournament, especially when there are other options available with less ancillary expense to deal with.

OK I think i understand basically if you can't win first or don't have the time or money even if your a really good player don't even bother registering. Man I think I might need a refund lol

Like I was previously alluding to, the person who will win this thing, will probably be 16 or 17 and have their parents paying their way.

They'll win a car, their parents will pay the taxes and the kid will expect to be on the Lat. Pro Team soon after.

I really thought I was gonna play one of these but after seeing the garbage pack you get for entering I am staying home.

There is one 1 hour and another 2.5 hours from me each way from where I live and decided I will pick a better event to be my first tourney expirience.

I believed the hype of getting an awesome pack for the entry price and it does not deliver IMHO. Bad stamps, two discs I don't want, a snap back hat (gross, I guess I'm old...snap backs are crap).

I think these will be good events for most of the young 'ens, just not for me.

Last edited: