• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Next Generation Disc Golf Top Prize: Car

I realize that I am the one who posted this but having re-read it several times I'm not 100% sure I understand it... so the rounds you shoot have some kind of rating based on DGCR SSA and then these are ranked? I thought this would be some kind of cumulative points thing for every event you played, I didn't realize you could buy into the side bet in each event.

All entries ranked by DGCR RoundRating on a national basis by division using competitor's overall place of finish to break ties.
Is this the same thing as the SSE on here or is it calculated differently, more akin to a PDGA round rating?

Here's the more generic description from the news release: (note: experience is a great teacher. :) DiscGolfCenter.com has a fully developed voucher system and free shipping)

Get your ticket to the DANCe!

PLAY IN NATIONWIDE VIRTUAL DIVISIONS

For our amateur players whose game may not be ready to win one of our top prizes we're proud to introduce the Next Generation Divisional Amateur National Challenge or the DANCe. For a $15 optional entry fee, all competitors, age divisions and skill levels can match their skill against Next Generation Qualifier competitors across the nation and vie for a 100% payout sponsored by DiscGolfCenter.com; Free Shipping and over 20,000 discs in stock!

Enter when registering for a Next Generation Qualifier. Remember, Qualifier registration opens nationwide on March 7,2016. Traditional disc golf divisions offered include Advanced, Advanced Women, Advanced Masters, Advanced Grandmasters, Intermediate, Intermediate Women, Recreational, Recreational Women and Juniors.

"From the start we sought to include all Next Generation amateur disc golfers, this is it! Hundreds of competitors can compete in each DANCe division, virtually and nationally and I think it has the potential to break some records. I can't thank our sponsor DiscGolfCenter.com enough for joining us on this adventure!" said David Feldberg, Next Generation Tour Director.

"DiscGolfCenter.com is excited to be partnered with Next Generation ​Disc Golf to provide the payout for the 2017 big DANCe. We wish everyone who signs up the best of luck!" contributed Wade Parkhurst, Manager at DiscGolfCenter.com

All results will be ranked by average DGCR RoundRating on a national basis, by division, using the competitor's overall place of finish to break ties. The music stops after the last Qualifier in June. Results and payouts to the top 25% in each division will be posted at NextGenerationDiscGolf.com; Winners receive credit equal to their winnings at DiscGolfCenter.com

Ok, as I mention in the above post, I don't understand the described ranking system. Is this the highest rated rounds based on DGCR SSE for each course?

Highest average rating, not highest rated rounds. If you play 4 qualifiers, you get an average of your 8 rounds. Highest average in each division wins the national contest.

It sounds like it is going to run very similarly to the PDGA's Global events, only using DGCR's rating system rather than the PDGA's.

Highest average rating, not highest rated rounds. If you play 4 qualifiers, you get an average of your 8 rounds. Highest average in each division wins the national contest.

It sounds like it is going to run very similarly to the PDGA's Global events, only using DGCR's rating system rather than the PDGA's.

It's the average of the 2 rated rounds from a single Qualifier. Each entry into the DANCe is a separate entry, not combined. If a player plays in 4 qualifiers and enters each time - they will have 4 separate entries into the DANCe; not one averaging all 4. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
That is a major red flag if they are actually going to use course and hole data on this site, entered by third parties often years before that may no longer be accurate, to determine a winner, in something people are putting money on.

In the case of one of the courses used in a qualifier near here (currently rated 0.5 with two reviews), the hole data was entered by me, based on a tournament preview post on our old organization's forum. The thing is, I've never actually played the course despite trying it a couple of times, because it's an orientation nightmare (hence the 0.5 rating).

In the case of another qualifier in the area, the course, which our most popular here in town, has had significant upgrades with new pins. Some old pins were pulled, but at last check, some of the old hole distances were still in use, because I've never gotten data on the new ones yet.

And I hardly think our issues are isolated. I mean, if the TD's correct the data and verify SSE's for the layouts used, that would be somewhat of a safeguard, albeit an insufficient one IMO.

SSE's are figured out based on whatever layout the TDs end up choosing to play. They have to enter some information on the NG site, it pings DGCR via an API to grab the SSE for the information they enter. I had assumed the layouts being played might differ and wasn't certain as to which tee would be used, etc. so each event has custom fields (length, etc.) on the NG site that will be used for all calculation.

So serious question here as I'm trying to figure out how this works:

Let's say someone plays a couple qualifiers on "easier" courses compared to other stops on the tour.

Will that factor into their chances of winning?

So serious question here as I'm trying to figure out how this works:

Let's say someone plays a couple qualifiers on "easier" courses compared to other stops on the tour.

Will that factor into their chances of winning?

Playing easier courses will, i think, make it harder to win the sidebet it placing is based on round rating.

The reason being that short, easy courses are very difficult to shoot highly rated rounds because even low rated players can reach all the pins and when a few of those shoot well it drives the ratings down. Playing courses that consistently produce inflated ratings, like fountain hills, should give you an advantage if you shoot well. Fountain hills is a course that's easy if you have a really big arm and much harder if you don't, providing protection from a lower rated player shooting well.

Your highest rated rounds will more likely be thrown on a lower versus higher SSA course. We know everyone should be able to average your rating on any SSA course. But for extreme rounds we know that your highest AND lowest rated rounds statistically should happen on lower SSA courses not only because they have more rating points per throw but players typically have more rated rounds on lower SSA courses to eventually shoot their extreme rounds in either direction.

The NGT has course standards it has asked its TDs to observe when selecting the course and/or layout used in qualifying events. I expect those standards should be enough to keep most of the qualifiers in roughly the same range in terms of course difficulty. They basically disqualify using the deuce-or-die, Intermediate-players-shooting-45 type courses, and as an amateur event, Gold-level courses aren't apt to be used either (e.g. Maple Hill is hosting, but they won't be using the Gold layout). We're probably talking about a lot of courses in the 50-55 SSA/SSE range.

Not that this means anything official, but the NGT Facebook poll on the make and model people would prefer to see resulted in the Chevy Spark getting the most votes followed by the Kia Soul and the Hyundai Veloster.

I thought DGCR ratings did not use linear points per stroke the way PDGA ratings do. If that is indeed the case then an actual transportable comparison should be possible.

Also, the "payout" thread has me thinking more about the rest of the announced payout for the NGT competitors. Per the competition manual, the 4 finalist will receive a $430 prize pack as well as $2700 in prizes for their placing. Is this all disc golf stuff or will there be an announcement regarding that this comprises?

$3130 is not an insignificant amount for tax purposes either.