• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2020 PDGA BOD elections

I would hope there would be a way for people who are interested in making a particular improvement to be able to do so without becoming a Board member. For one thing, there are more good ideas than there are open positions. For another, there is a lot of grinding, time-consuming work that goes along with being a Board member. That work would detract from pushing a good idea forward. We should be voting for the best Directors, not just whoever is championing our favorite ideas; regardless of whether or not they can handle the rest of the job.

2019 budget has over $1M in salary expenses & over $4M total expenses. We dang sure better have people on the BOD that can keep the PDGA solvent. There are candidates with these skills & experiences. Board members should hit the ground running. There are myriad ways for enthusiasts (like me) to help "grow the sport" outside of the administrative and management burden of the Board.

Thanks for all of the comments so far. Just a few comments:

-Several BOD members have stated conflicts of interest (filed and publicly available). I would be surprised if any current BOD member or the staff would say that this has been an issue with any BOD member. Elaine and Mike have COI's from MVP, along with my conflict from Discraft. The current BOD changed the policy on target and disc approval, so we don't even approve discs and targets anymore. Additionally the BOD has nothing to do with the awarding of the new member disc contract (we are not privy to the bid process and find out who the contract is awarded to the same time as everyone else).

-As I said in my candidate statement and video, I continue to believe that investing in our tour and youth and education will continue to drive sustainable growth. The Tour is obviously something I am very passionate about and feel that we have made great efforts in that regard. The Majors Committee has been hard at work on new concepts, and I expect several of those to be voted on by the BOD later this year (postponed from the Spring Summit).

-I will echo what was already said about Dave Foss. He has been great to work with.

-There are many great candidates running, and that is great to see. I certainly feel like I have done enough work to earn a second term, and I hope everyone votes!

For those that don't know, this is Nate Heinold speaking :)

I am happy to answer any questions or address any concerns.

Thanks for reaching out Nate. There is usually not much discussion from or about BOD candidates and only about 13% of ballots were cast last election. So I'll throw out a question:

The most recent financial statement is 2018. It indicates the PDGA has between $1M-$2M in liquid assets (I don't know what all the entries mean) but only $570 investment income. Can you comment? Is the money working for us?

The most recent financial statement is 2018. It indicates the PDGA has between $1M-$2M in liquid assets (I don't know what all the entries mean) but only $570 investment income. Can you comment? Is the money working for us?

When I was Treasurer I discussed investing some of our liquid assets with Bob Decker, who was our Past Treasurer and now Current Treasurer. He and I were in agreement that we should look into this.

Back when we discussed this, interest rates were essentially at all time lows. We are talking about maybe $12,000 of interest a year (probably less) if you invested $1,000,000.

Its not chump change, but at the time it wasn't a priority because for many years the PDGA didn't have much of a rainy day fund. Any business or organization should ideally strive for a 6 month (of expenses) rainy day fund. So at the time, we thought it was important, but because of low interest rates we felt it was better to have that money more liquid in the event of a downturn. At the time I had argued that our economy was essentially in the longest expansion we had ever seen, and we should expect a recession because our history tells us that's how our economy works (ie, we grow, we face a crisis, go into a recession, and then bounce back). Obviously I had no idea when that would happen, or how, but at the time we felt it was better to keep our money liquid. Obviously that proved wise considering what has happened with COVID.

Thanks for the question, I am happy to answer any other questions.

What is the average # of hours you work per week in your Board position. What are the peak demand times? When is it slow?

What is the average # of hours you work per week in your Board position. What are the peak demand times? When is it slow?

Great question! It honestly has not been slow in the last 12 months. The first year I averaged probably 10 to 12 hours a week, and then the second year was a little slower as I learned what needed to be left to staff, what I should focus my energy on, etc.

This third year has been a lot of work. Between COVID and an enhanced Majors Committee presence its sometimes been 15 hours a week.

I hosted the Majors Summit in Peoria in January, so that was about 40 hours of prep work, two full days of meetings, and then I spent about 6 weeks (off and on) writing the summary report for presentation to the BOD (ended up being 7,000 words). I finished that report, and 24 hours later the NBA shutdown and COVID-19 came to the forefront, so I have only recently begun to report some of those findings to the BOD. I expect to report the rest of the summary to the BOD at the Fall Summit later this year.

Peak times are definitely the Spring Summit (I am usually gone for 3 to 5 days), the Fall Summit (I am usually gone for 5 to 6 days) and then November/December time frame. I have reviewed the budget the last few years and that happens at the end of the year, so I spend a considerable amount of time on that based on my financial background. Additionally the BOD is tasked with choosing the major bids in November/December, so I put some serious effort into that to make sure we are picking the right hosts.

I am happy to answer additional questions!

Surely other candidates are aware of DGCR discussions and would welcome a forum with enthusiastic disc golfers. Is there an easy to reach out to all of them en masse for comments?

Surely other candidates are aware of DGCR discussions and would welcome a forum with enthusiastic disc golfers. Is there an easy to reach out to all of them en masse for comments?

I guess you are just stuck voting for me?

But seriously, PDGA Radio/Steve Hill will be interviewing all candidates and posting those interviews in a future podcast of PDGA Radio. Ultiworld usually interviews candidates and releases something as well.

I would again like to encourage folks to consider voting for Dave Foss. Two of my main concerns are supporting TD's and supporting local clubs and he has been and will continue to be an advocate for both.
Foss 2020

So the membership voted for a ""top pro"" over other candidates who placed 10x the effort into their candidacies.

We are deciding our BOD on who we rather play a round with, over qualification.

So lame.

https://www.pdga.com/files/2020_pdga_board_of_directors_results.pdf

Yes, this is lame. So many great candidates, bringing year of experience a varied resume. No offense to Will, but throwing a Frisbee well, should not be considered a BOD qualification. SMH.

With that many candidates, the PDGA should consider adding a stipulation in the Bylaws that when more than X number of candidates are running, there's first a primary to whittle down the number to Y or a some percentage of X, and then vote for those final candidates. Until now, I don't think the PDGA has had that many candidates running for the Board. But with a primary and final election, there would be a better chance for at least one or two of the candidates who are qualified but without name recognition, getting into the finals.

I think McCoy is the only touring pro ever elected who actually made it through his term. (Elaine doesn't count. :) ) Will won't be able to due to the ownership rule going into effect next year. Will does have a good head on his shoulders and much more varied experience than those who preceded him fwiw.