• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

27 Hole Monster or 2 18's

Those who have not played Iron Hill and are asking for 27 really have no idea what a beast Iron Hill already is.
I'd rather see 2 18 hole courses. Spread people out.
Tyler is getting ruined due to being overplayed by the masses. That's the problem with 27 holes everyone ends up on the same course beating and abusing the vegetation and course 2x as much as if it were 2 courses.
I also think an amazing a tier or NT could be held at Iron Hill if there were 2 courses. I mean 144 players shotgun start wow!

Jerome, wouldn't you like to see McBeth, Nikko, Ricky, Will and the rest of the top pros play 27 straight holes back to back days at Iron Hill. Better yet, 3 straight days at an NT. With four layouts on the course now your options are huge, 9 more holes with 2 tees and 2 pins designed in 3 loops would allow casual players endless options.

One 27. With two disc-catchers per hole the signs would have to be more accurate... I'll help build that shot too dog.

Let's say you have a 10,000' wooded course with 2 tees and 2 pins on every hole. You get a chance to add either 9 more holes just like you have bringing the total to a 15,000'+ 27 holes course with 2 tees and 2 pins on every hole or add another 7,000' 18 hole ultra technical course on the property. The new 18 hole course would only have 1 tee and 1 basket per hole. On the current course the longest layout is the most used. Any input?
I'd say 9 holes with 2 tees and basket like the other 18. If you do 18 holes with just one tee and basket it kind of pigeon holes that course for one skill level or you diversify it. I don't think going with a shorter 18 adds anything to the area because you have a couple other short courses nearby. Also with Carousel and Iron Hill 27 I think that gives you better options as far as A tier or NT layouts not just for the pros but ams as well.

I also like the Seneca Soiree playing mixed loops the first day and then a killer round of 27.

Good luck at the King of the Hill, that tourney is just insane man!

Jerome, wouldn't you like to see McBeth, Nikko, Ricky, Will and the rest of the top pros play 27 straight holes back to back days at Iron Hill. Better yet, 3 straight days at an NT. With four layouts on the course now your options are huge, 9 more holes with 2 tees and 2 pins designed in 3 loops would allow casual players endless options.

I trust and respect whatever you decide Jimi.....what we up here are really wanting to see is a Worlds in Delaware :hfive:

Are you building a course just to host a NT or building a course to have more options in Delaware on a daily basis? For myself, Iron Hill is world class already, I'd rather see another 18 hole course. If going to 27, be sure to have all 9's loop back near the parking area.

I have played iron hill gold to old and it is a true monster. I think that i would be awesome to see the top pros play a 15000 foot twenty seven. If it was my choice i would make a 5000 ft nine with onembasket and one tee and have another nine with 2500ft technical wooded course. This could be a good warm up for the pros and a nice area for the casual player who thinks 18 is too much. Imo this is. A good way to accomadate all levels of players. Also, you have to think that at an ntthere are more divisions than just open. I think 27 holes that long could really be tough on the grandmasters knees and such. Open players could play monster twenty sven while the der guys could play a shorter 27 hole layout

Jimi,
I'm all for adding another 18 holes. Making those similar to say "Angry Beaver" or "Jordan Creek" with a mix of shorter holes, and very long tenchical holes. The combined dual courses at Iron would make it a destination, and also have a very nice tournament friendly lay out.

I'm suggesting and up for helping in designing both options well before a decision is made.

I'm sure we can walk the land land, over and over, until we come up with both another moster 9 hole loop, and a 7,000 ft 18 hole design. Then we can make a decison once we see what the land offers to make the best decison.

I've never even played a course close to 10000, 7000 would be considered a very long course where I live (where pretty much everything is 6000 or under). The average hole length of a 10000 would be 555.5 ft/hole. Holy crap that would be long.

The two 18 hole layout would work better in my opinion. I'd even say it would be great if it were shorter. The other courses in the area are pay to play and a good short course that's free to play would be a great addition to Delaware.

I prefer shorter more technical holes so I would vote for the 2nd 18. The only thing would be is there ample room between fairways if the 2nd 18 hole course was installed? I have been to one course where the holes and fairways were way too close together and you had to spend all of your time looking around to make sure you didnt get hit by an errant shot.

There would be plenty of room between fairways. The current course is 10,000' long and you can have a full field and never see another group outside of the group ahead or behind you. Even if we go with 9, one of the weaknesses of the course is the lack of a super tight shorter hole or 2 and that would be added. Right now the 4 par 3's are around 360-370' in the Gold layout.

I prefer another shorter 18 basket course with a SSA around 48.

Lums and White Clay are pay to play while IH is not. The woods in IH could/would create a real fun shorter course. There are many that show at the Hill that would play the shorter course after or before the gold layout -- just to decompress or warm-up for the challenge of the gold. Just my .02, and Jimi knows what that's worth!! (I know the gold gets most of the play now but older/lesser/family/couples/etc that play alot in the earlier hours when I'm there are starting to hit the shorter layouts more.)

ps -- stuck in the Hong Kong airport hoping I make all three of my connections to someday make it back to IH and kick your arse Jimi!! You've got my six large and I want them back!! :)

Jimi, two courses would work best. Let me know when/if you start to plan something or walk around. I would like to add some input as a LHBH player and I am interested in course design. Hopefully you could use the bowls back there, that would be awesome.

I retract my previous statement of installing an extreme pitch and putt, now that I know Carosel is getting pulled.

Good luck, Jimi. I look forward to getting back out there.

Latest posts