• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2nd day playing

Dhearn

I just started playing the game 2 days ago. Just wondering what are the best disc for beginners. I went out and bought the Innova starter kit. They are working fine for now. What other disc should I have in my bag? I know this is a loaded question and their will be many different answeres but would still like to hear your opinions. Thanks

Does the kit have the leopard, shark and aviar? That should be perfect for you to at least finish out the summer and get your feet wet. I'd recommend focusing on that for a while. It might be helpful to get a couple more aviars so you can practice putting with more than one disc.

I just started playing the game 2 days ago. Just wondering what are the best disc for beginners. I went out and bought the Innova starter kit. They are working fine for now. What other disc should I have in my bag? I know this is a loaded question and their will be many different answeres but would still like to hear your opinions. Thanks

Have fun with the game. I think the starter kit is a great place to start.

Bahahahahaha!!!!!

Nah, get a Polecat.

Just kidding. Well, not really. One of my favorite things about DG is the relative low cost of everything surrounding the game. So even if owning a Polecat might not win you any A-Tiers right away, it'll only set you back around $8 to own what might be the most peculiar disc in the sport. Being seen throwing the "Canned Ham" is a true conversation piece out on the course.

Also, don't pay attention to the folks that caution you not to throw any super high speed drivers until you learn proper technique. What fun would that be? As soon I started playing I bought a good ole' Nuke Z and started winging that thing all over the place. Sure, it probably wasn't the best for my fundamentals or development, and it is ironic that now that I can throw much farther that I could when I started, I find that I use my high speed, Max distance drivers less & less frequently. But so what? When you're starting out, you need those thrilling moments that only a high speed driver can provide.

So get a Desteoyer or a Nuke and see if you can't brain some unwitting lawn jockeys wandering around your course, three holes over, with their heads up their butts. Just make sure to throw your other discs too and always be improving your form through a You Tube & the field.

(Oh and grab a Groove too, while you're at it.)

Bahahahahaha!!!!!

Nah, get a Polecat.

Just kidding. Well, not really. One of my favorite things about DG is the relative low cost of everything surrounding the game. So even if owning a Polecat might not win you any A-Tiers right away, it'll only set you back around $8 to own what might be the most peculiar disc in the sport. Being seen throwing the "Canned Ham" is a true conversation piece out on the course.

Also, don't pay attention to the folks that caution you not to throw any super high speed drivers until you learn proper technique. What fun would that be? As soon I started playing I bought a good ole' Nuke Z and started winging that thing all over the place. Sure, it probably wasn't the best for my fundamentals or development, and it is ironic that now that I can throw much farther that I could when I started, I find that I use my high speed, Max distance drivers less & less frequently. But so what? When you're starting out, you need those thrilling moments that only a high speed driver can provide.

So get a Desteoyer or a Nuke and see if you can't brain some unwitting lawn jockeys wandering around your course, three holes over, with their heads up their butts. Just make sure to throw your other discs too and always be improving your form through a You Tube & the field.

(Oh and grab a Groove too, while you're at it.)

Yeah, no, don't listen to any of this.

The Innova starter set with the Aviar - Shark - Leopard is great for beginners. You don't need anything else for now

Welcome from Upper Michigan!
Those discs sound good for starting. Good technique is waaaaaay more important than having a lot of discs.

Are they dx or champion? Champion plastic will hold up way, way better, and will last for years. DX plastic can get damaged very quickly, and start flying differently.

hehheh

I bought a box of used discs off ebay to practice and learn with, by throwing in a nearby field. Lo and behold there was a groove in the box of 25 discs.

After many trips to said field, this one disc stands out as the most beguiling and evil discs created. Its always the last one tossed when my son and I do some field work.

Resist the temptation to buy a lot of disc until you become confident and/or competitive with the starter pack. You have a good base for choosing which disc might actually help your game and you'll save a ton of $$$. But, if you want to throw a ton of $$$ at it trying to get better, don't let anybody tell you any different. HAVE FUN either way you go :D

congratulations on finding disc golf!
i too started with innova's starter kit, but back in 2003.
my 4th disc was a dx beast for the artwork, oh, and for longer drives. (i still have it!)
i believe next was a dx cobra and cheetah…
have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a Innova Starter pack in January when I started playing DG. It contained an Aviar, Shark and Valkyrie (all DX and around 150g).

The Shark worked best for me. The Valkyrie was too fast in the first weeks. The Aviar was only good for putting. I did not get the feel for it for "drives".

After half a year of DG (not daily training or something, just casual play and some weeks field work) I lost nearly all of that discs in water and replaced them with something else. I now have switched over to MVP (Fission Volt is really great for me!) and am dominantly a Forehand player.

I actually bag these discs and find them good for my beginner skills:

Putter:
- Innova Aviar DX (not often used)
- MVP Soft Electron Atom (great disc for forehand approaches and putting for me!)

Midrange:
- Innova Foxbat (only when I have really tight windows and want to land flat) nice straight flying disc, even forehand.

Fairway/Distance Drivers:
- MVP Fission Volt (Go-To Disc, I use that 90% of my shots, works great sidearm)
- Axiom Wrath (The Disc I pull out when I have to throw over water or something, dont want to loose my Volt)
- Innova Valkyrie Starlite (139g), I use that only when I HAVE to throw backhand. I got good distance out of it, but it is easy to turn and burn. And dont throw it into headwinds, will be awful! ;)

Latest posts