• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

30th Annual Kansas City Wide Open

Also, the A tier is full.

There are 2 spots left in the BT. I would expect it to fill today.

Still plenty of room in the 2 day B tier though!

I'm not sure if it will cap at 72 players. If so, there are 22 spots left!

Last edited:
i think he was having some back issues a couple of weeks ago so maybe that flared up again

A 44 is incredible. Even though it was Blue Valley short, it is still a par 57. That's awesome.

lol @ it only being par 57, not sure who set that par :/ Might be a par 57 for Will but thats it lol

holes 1,4,6,7,10,16,18 are all par 4s....some are just easy ones that are kinda tweener-ish due to the shortened layout, but I am sure averaged closer to a 4 than a 3 for the pro field. I don't know if Will 2'd any of these holes but if he did I would bet its one of a handful of 2s on them.

Hope you feel better soon Nikko, wanna see you strong at Worlds.

get.jpg

lol @ it only being par 57, not sure who set that par :/ Might be a par 57 for Will but thats it lol

holes 1,4,6,7,10,16,18 are all par 4s....some are just easy ones that are kinda tweener-ish due to the shortened layout, but I am sure averaged closer to a 4 than a 3 for the pro field. I don't know if Will 2'd any of these holes but if he did I would bet its one of a handful of 2s on them.

Dude, it's short as balls. It's a 57 for sure. There were tons of 2's even on the advanced side. Not sure what you're smoking...

First off, what do we define par as? I generally say that on an open or slightly wooded course (like Blue Valley), par is the number of drives it takes to get inside 100' + 2 to get up and down.

The par 4's on the "Little" Blue Valley configuration are #6, #10, and #18. Course designer Jack Lowe and I had a long conversation about #18 (#16 in the Big Blue Valley configuration); when the tree to the right of the tee finally dies you're going to watch pros through big hyzers to the green. At that point, we may have to re-evaluate the par (or move the basket). For now though, it's a par 4.

#1 is 520' downhill. I saw some advanced players put it within 50' warming up.
#4 on the standard course is for sure a par 4. On the short course, it's a 350' tunnel shot or anhyzer flex over the top. Easy to get within 100' off the tee.
#6 is a par 4.
#7 is one of the tweeners on the course It's tough to mark as par 4 though since it's so downhill. But this is one of the bigger points on convention.
#10 is a par 4.
#16 is a pro par 3. It takes a big anhyzer to get to the basket (Jordan in advanced put it 12' from the bucket). Generally though, an anhyzer that's decent and in bounds will leave you 100'-150' short onto a green that isn't too tricky.
#18 is a par 4.

Thanks to everyone that came out! This year's Wide Open was one of the most successful in recent memory.

For those in attendance, what did you really like about the event? What didn't you like? What did you like/not like about the courses? Party? Closing events?

Cameron C tore it up! He was awesome to play a few rounds with in Worlds last year. Glad to see him with a couple of great rounds. The show he put on in the finals of worlds last year was pretty cool to watch too. Great kid and another great new face to join all the old timers.

#16 is a pro par 3. It takes a big anhyzer to get to the basket (Jordan in advanced put it 12' from the bucket). Generally though, an anhyzer that's decent and in bounds will leave you 100'-150' short onto a green that isn't too tricky

Check the scoring AVG for Pro/ADV and get back to us with this one....

Some of the worst holes in disc golf are the ones where a 2 is amazing and a 4 is awful.

They don't seperate skill b/c 99 out 100 times, the tee shot doesn't matter.

Either shorten these holes to make the really good tee shots have putts or make them longer so good tee shots have easy upshots.

And you can't use the ball golf theory of a hard par 3 where all golfers are doing are hoping to hit the green and 2 putt b/c for one, they are actually reaching the green and getting a putt and seconly, they aren't hitting their drivers to do it.

There will regularly be 2-shot par 3s that typically average 3.2-3.4 for a skill level especially when a hole was designed as a par 4 for a lower skill level but par is being established for higher skill level for tournament play.

It's a simple reality. If a well designed Blue level par 4 averages 3.7, it will average 3.3-3.4 for Gold level. Same thing happens with blue level par 3s that average 2.7. They average 2.3-2.4 for gold level. We've chosen not to call par 3s that average 2.3-2.4 par 2s. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't call par 4s that will average 3.2-3.4 for a higher skill level par 3s even though in many cases it will take a shot longer than 70 feet for their second throw.

Last edited:
I fully understand the concept of a hole being tougher / easier based on skill level. But these holes should at least be reachable - that's what I'm talking about. When 90% of gold level players cant get putts on regardless of the scoring average on the hole, that isn't a par 3. I don't even have to look at the hole and tell you that. There is NO SUCH THING as a two shot par 3. NO SUCH THING. It's IMPOSSIBLE. These are just, in the end, poorly designed holes!

Yes, they are "poorly designed 2-shot" par 3s for gold. There are hundreds out there that are well designed for blue level players on the majority of courses which are specifically designed for blue level from the tips. The only thing more foolish is to continue pumping the egos of the gold level players by falsely calling par 2s > par 3s and par 3s > par 4s so they can shoot 40 under at tournaments. Two-shot par 3s is simply calling a duck a duck.

Statistically, gold level players shoot 5-6 shots under blue level. If a blue level course like my new one has six legit blue level par 4s for a par 60, the par for gold should come in around 54. Four of the six par 4s are probably 2-shot par 3s for gold and two of the par 3s are legit par 2s for gold to get there. I won't call the par 3s par 2s. But I'll have no problem calling four of the par 4s pars 3s if we have a B-tier or higher there.

Last edited:
We've obviously had these conversations for years and we obviously are never going to agree on the concept, so I don't really see the point in continuing.

I have much respect for you and really like you as a person, but I couldn't disagree more with your rationale on this. I've never stepped up to a ball golf hole, hit a driver as good as I can and not reached the green....

Latest posts